Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:37 PM

30 posts, read 53,023 times

Advertisements

Saluda, will check it out. Thanks again y'all (sorry, i couldn't resist)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 10:17 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
OP I think you might find the SC foothills to be more for you. You don't state a budget but unless you are middle of nowhere WNC you won't find a cabin and several acres for what most consider "cheap". Where I lived in SC (travelers Rest) it averaged 10 degrees warmer then asheville daily.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:22 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
OP I think you might find the SC foothills to be more for you. You don't state a budget but unless you are middle of nowhere WNC you won't find a cabin and several acres for what most consider "cheap". Where I lived in SC (travelers Rest) it averaged 10 degrees warmer then asheville daily.
May be true, but I personally find land in SC, particularly Pickens county to be high in regard to land prices for even 5 acres. I think this has something to do with the 10 degree warmer weather. I ruled out SC completely because of the lack of big plots reasonably priced. To me mountains and cold winters go hand in hand.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:42 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
In the Chattanooga thread the OP mentioned wanting to be <20-30 minutes from an organic grocery. Wouldn't that be important in WNC as well?

Even more restricting is the OP's intolerance for intolerance. Is it too late to adopt a live and let live attitude?

Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 AM

30 posts, read 53,023 times
Creeksitter: really, tolerance is tolerance - we aren't intolerant of intolerance ... Live and let live, we just don't like it in our face. And yes, organics are important no matter where.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrossi View Post
My husband and I spent almost a year in and near Asheville and loved the Smokies. We're back up north for business but considering a permanent move back down. We'll need to find a place where we can get a small cabin in good shape on a few acres for not too much money ... and we really, really prefer warm. Well, as warm as possible and still be in the Smokies. Can anyone suggest where we should look? We're mid-60s, quiet, tolerant but don't like to live near a lot of intolerant people, and semi-but maybe never-retired. Thanks!

A small cabin on a couple of acres for a low price? If this is a descript for a permanent home, this will make a big difference in where you will want to be. What is your range for "not too much money" ?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:35 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrossi View Post
My husband and I spent almost a year in and near Asheville and loved the Smokies. We're back up north for business but considering a permanent move back down. We'll need to find a place where we can get a small cabin in good shape on a few acres for not too much money ... and we really, really prefer warm. Well, as warm as possible and still be in the Smokies. Can anyone suggest where we should look? We're mid-60s, quiet, tolerant but don't like to live near a lot of intolerant people, and semi-but maybe never-retired. Thanks!

why to assume people would be intolerant? Most people don't care but your experience may be different.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
^^^ +1...

Old 12-16-2014, 10:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Your "small cabin in good shape on a few acres for not too much money" and proximity to an organic grocery could be a tough find.

I keep recommending Greenville, SC on these forums, but you might want to check it out. It's not right in the mountains, but would probably have your organics, and be warmer. Somewhere around there might suit you.

I wouldn't expect to find a great number of grocery stores specializing in organic food in the NC mountains except in proximity to Asheville and Boone. There's plenty in both places. But Boone is definitely not warm, btw, since it is at 1000 ft higher elevation than Asheville. Ingles regular grocery store carries quite a bit of organic produce and packaged goods, but it is just a regular grocery store. Earthfare is a health food grocery chain ala Whole Foods that is based in Asheville and has stores throughout the region. You might want to check where their stores are located and see what you can find near there if it's really important to you. www.earthfare.com

Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,285 times
Elevation has a lot to do with temperature. You lose 6 degrees for every 1000 feet, so you have to determine if living below 90 in the Summer (which is longer than the so called Winter) is more important than being a degree or two warmer in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina