Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times

Advertisements

This is interesting on the difference between frozen custard and ice cream. (I refuse to read anything about the calories tho.)

Frozen custard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:22 PM

221 posts, read 461,843 times
Quote:
Tom did mention a new place that has frozen custard called Whips, I think he said it was. Being I'm in Greenville, I can find frozen custard here, but all are chains.
Whit's frozen custard is on Merrimon in North Asheville. It's a chain out of Ohio, I believe. Very good stuff, but not a local mom & pop place. I'm sorry to hear we're losing another local small business; I hope he's closing by choice.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:55 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
Whit's frozen custard is on Merrimon in North Asheville. It's a chain out of Ohio, I believe. Very good stuff, but not a local mom & pop place. I'm sorry to hear we're losing another local small business; I hope he's closing by choice.
Okay, that's the name Tom mentioned to me yesterday, Whit's. Never heard of it before.

Locally, in the Greenville area there's Culvers & a place called Freddy's in Easley. Tried Culvers, didn't like it at all. Didn't bother with Freddy's, but my friends who did try it told me CinTom's was better. There's other places that "claim" to have frozen custard, but it's not truly frozen custard. My family is from Rochester, NY and I learned early on what REAL frozen custard was by hitting Don & Bob's and Abbotts early on in life.

I am going to try my best to get by CinTom's this weekend. I embarrassingly admit, I had 2 actual orders of frozen custard yesterday a gingerbread cookie while there. He doesn't know what flavors will be available this weekend, he said he will see what he wants to make and go for it.

We got a great group photo with him yesterday, with his jester's hat on!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
OK, give, what's The Hop ? I'm only young enough to remember the "car hops" where the waitresses wore roller skates, and we that had (convertibles) would park there on weekend nights, listening to Elvis and Ricky Nelson while the guys cruised in and out of the parking lot. Woof, woof.

Try to get over there and pick up one of Tom's frozen custard pies if he has any left. o.m.g.
The Hop is this little gem: The Hop | Ice Cream, Cafe , Events and more

They even have frozen treats for dogs.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,592 times
and the hop is so much more than just Kale ice cream some very rare and more adventurous flavors, but also the usual suspects like pumpkin spice and so on.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Was at CinTom's today. Black Raspberry, Cappuccino and Vanilla was great!

Note on the door that Sunday will be the last day

Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 PM

474 posts, read 840,496 times
Cappuccino and Cake Batter were delicious. Glad I got to try them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina