Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:04 AM

395 posts, read 462,929 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a vet in/around Hendersonville that is down-to-earth, old-fashioned. Our animals are very healthy, but I like to have someone should something come up. There are many, many vets to choose from, but again, I would love someone who still respects the ways of nature and has a more non-intrusive style when it comes to treating animals. If any of you have someone you would recommend that may fit the bill, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't mind traveling a bit for the right vet.
Thank you in advance and we hope everyone had a wonderful holiday celebration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
We are looking for a vet in/around Hendersonville that is down-to-earth, old-fashioned. Our animals are very healthy, but I like to have someone should something come up. There are many, many vets to choose from, but again, I would love someone who still respects the ways of nature and has a more non-intrusive style when it comes to treating animals. If any of you have someone you would recommend that may fit the bill, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't mind traveling a bit for the right vet.

Mills River Animal Hospital
Old Turnpike Road (take a right at the traffic light off Rt. 280) just past the intersection of 191 & 280
Mills River

http://millsriveranimalclinicnc.com/

She also sells her own cage free eggs, and makes fabulous jellies and jams.

Great vet and wonderful staff.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:13 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times
This is my vet for my dog
Western Carolina Regional Animal Hospital | Hendersonville, NC

I don't know if they're really that "old fashioned" or not ... I just know that they're really nice and they have 24 hour service .... and they really know what they're doing. I have an older dog and it makes me feel better having a vet that has 24 hour service. Plus if you're a regular patient and have to go to the vet after hours it's considerably cheaper to go than if you aren't.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post

I don't know if they're really that "old fashioned" or not ... I just know that they're really nice and they have 24 hour service .... and they really know what they're doing. I have an older dog and it makes me feel better having a vet that has 24 hour service. Plus if you're a regular patient and have to go to the vet after hours it's considerably cheaper to go than if you aren't.
WOW! What a place! How are their prices?

Old 12-27-2014, 06:30 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post

I don't know if they're really that "old fashioned" or not ... I just know that they're really nice and they have 24 hour service .... and they really know what they're doing. I have an older dog and it makes me feel better having a vet that has 24 hour service. .
They are also better than REACH to use for emergency care in the middle of the night. I know too many people (myself included) that have had problems with REACH

Old 12-27-2014, 06:40 AM

358 posts, read 786,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post

Don't know about you, but our dogs are our family and we want a Vet who is up to date on all the new technology and is versed in all the latest treatments that would produce a good outcome. A compassionate and personable Doctor that has your dogs best interests at heart. What I would want in a Vet is what I would want in a Doctor for my aged Mother. Their health is not to be trifled with with the latest herbal fad, acupuncture or New Agey gimmick. We have choices, they do not.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Re: WCRAH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Expensive. For a check up for two dogs and a few vaccines it cost me $300!!!! My other vet it would be about $200.

They also missed my dogs cancer's even though she exhibited the classic symptoms. We went back again, they did exploratory surgery while she was severly anemic and then called because she was losing too much blood and had to be let go. They were nice but that doesn't change the fact that they really screwed up. I also screwed up.... I was sleep deprived from a newborn and stressed about my dog otherwise I would have been thinking clearer and not oked the surgery while she was anemic. Sigh. I think they are ok to take to for ER cuts and such but I wouldn't take a pet here for anything major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
Don't know about you, but our dogs are our family and we want a Vet who is up to date on all the new technology and is versed in all the latest treatments that would produce a good outcome. A compassionate and personable Doctor that has your dogs best interests at heart. What I would want in a Vet is what I would want in a Doctor for my aged Mother. Their health is not to be trifled with with the latest herbal fad, acupuncture or New Agey gimmick. We have choices, they do not.
..ya that. I wouldn't go to an old fashioned DR........

Old 12-27-2014, 09:41 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Re: WCRAH

Expensive. For a check up for two dogs and a few vaccines it cost me $300!!!! My other vet it would be about $200.

They also missed my dogs cancer's even though she exhibited the classic symptoms. We went back again, they did exploratory surgery while she was severly anemic and then called because she was losing too much blood and had to be let go. They were nice but that doesn't change the fact that they really screwed up. I also screwed up.... I was sleep deprived from a newborn and stressed about my dog otherwise I would have been thinking clearer and not oked the surgery while she was anemic. Sigh. I think they are ok to take to for ER cuts and such but I wouldn't take a pet here for anything major.
That's the thing with pricing - it doesn't guarantee anything.

We had a vet who built a gorgeous state-of-the-art animal hospital, and I used to take my cats there. One of my neighbors mentioned that she thought their prices were outrageous, but I didn't see it because all I'd paid for were routine checkups.

Later on, one cat had more involved work done a couple of times, and then I saw how crazy their prices were. A friend who lived in Atlanta paid a fraction of what we paid for the exact same procedures. Whenever they had to keep the cat for a few days, I would ask where we were at in terms of costs, and they would never tell me. I wouldn't know until it was time to pick him up. My last bill was over $500 for a repair that involved a few stitches, antibiotics, overnight observation, but no surgery.

I found out later from someone who used to work there, that the vet had told all his potential hires "We're going to charge high prices and you have to be okay with that."

Even worse, this vet never answered his phone on a night when our dog was in trouble. He was on emergency rotation and I called over and over, leaving one hysterical message after another. I never got a hold of him and the dog ended up dying. The vet called me the next day and told me he forgot to turn his phone on and said he was sorry. Someone wrote on our local message board that this vet was known for not answering emergency phone calls.

The Catch 22 of all this is that he is one of the few vets who performs spays and neuters for low cost for the animal rescue groups! What are you gonna do?

I switched to a vet whose office looks like a hole in the wall and I'm perfectly happy with his skills. I miss the beautiful building, but don't feel like going bankrupt for it.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:51 AM

395 posts, read 462,929 times

Thank you, QC and Halo, for the vet recommendations. I appreciate it!

As far as the following post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
Thank you for your input. However, I am an animal professional and in the last 20+ years, due to the nature of my animal professions, have been blessed in raising and/or caring for more animals than most people do in many, many life times. With a degree in science, plus 100s of hours more spent in schooling, research and observation, reading and hands-on mammal (and sometimes reptilian) care, I have come to learn what works and what doesn't which is how it is that I know what I am looking for in a vet and why. Thankfully it is extremely rare we even need a vet.
As far as a dog (or any other animal) being "family", my philosophy is that that shouldn't have anything to do with their care. Every living creature has the right to good care and good health whether they are part of my group at home or part of a client's family, or a homeless cat, dog, sheep, goat, horse...They are all, each and every one, deserving in their own right. In a sense, they are all family.
Again, your well-meaning input is appreciated.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:42 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
They're probably a little pricier than say a Banfield but I'm OK with it. I had my dog in (after hours) one night at 3am because she was exhibiting signs of (what I thought was a stroke). The nurse on the phone listened to her symptoms and immediately said, "Canine Vestibular Syndrome"... I went ahead and brought her in just to be on the safe side and by that time she was coming out of it. They were really great to a scared mom at 3am. The whole thing (including anti-nausea meds) was only $118 (had I been a patient at that time it would have only been $58 plus med cost. She's been in a few times since then and each time it's never been more than $150. Which is a little bit more than what I usually paid at Banfield's before we switched.

@Saucy - I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I haven't had one as of yet. I guess it's like regular doctors, they're human and fallible too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina