Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times

Advertisements

I must be really out of the new wave of things these days. How do you know who these people are you are letting in your home? $60 a night for a futon?? We have a small teardrop camper very comfortable double bed maybe we could rent that out for $50!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:58 PM

497 posts, read 969,012 times
The absolute extreme (at least for now) is renting out your personal toilet for some stranger to use> Airpnp

Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
I must be really out of the new wave of things these days. How do you know who these people are you are letting in your home? $60 a night for a futon?? We have a small teardrop camper very comfortable double bed maybe we could rent that out for $50!
You can list free. Then you opt to approve/interact with a prospective guest, advance getting to know one another, advance booking; or you can tell them any issues/restrictions/whatever and get bookings through Instant Booking without passing first through you.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
^^^ These posts read like an advertorial for setting up one's spare bedroom, basement, garage, shed or couch, for this less than attractive 'rental' AirBnB deal, imo.

I still am on the side of most neighborhoods/communities don't need or want this.

Here is a snippet about a man renting out the back seat/trunk of his Tesla:

Man rents out Tesla Model S on Airbnb for $85 a night | Daily Mail Online

Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 AM

113 posts, read 276,195 times
Interesting discussion with compelling arguments on both sides.

I don't live in The City so you don't have to care what I think . If I did though, I'd rather have a neighbor or two occasionally share their living space than have even more concrete and glass cookie-cutter behemoths dotting the landscape.

Same thing goes for the bathroom rental thing (no pun intended). Would you prefer people pay $2 to use one in Grove Arcade or use the sidewalk for free? I've seen the latter and that's even worse than than the aforementioned architectural eyesores.

Good luck with your endeavor, Bear!
Opt-Out

Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
The people who pee on the street aren't going to pay to go anywhere.....

Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 AM

113 posts, read 276,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
The people who pee on the street aren't going to pay to go anywhere.....
They might pay for peeing in the street if the city more aggressively enforced the laws against it rather than devoting resources to control what citizens did in their private residences.
Compared to a fine, $2 would be cheap.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You can list free. Then you opt to approve/interact with a prospective guest, advance getting to know one another, advance booking; or you can tell them any issues/restrictions/whatever and get bookings through Instant Booking without passing first through you.
Hosts/ guests can leave reviews for one another on the AirBnB site. So you do get an idea as to who you are renting to before you decide to do so.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:50 AM

497 posts, read 969,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
^^^ These posts read like an advertorial for setting up one's spare bedroom, basement, garage, shed or couch, for this less than attractive 'rental' AirBnB deal, imo.

I still am on the side of most neighborhoods/communities don't need or want this.

Here is a snippet about a man renting out the back seat/trunk of his Tesla [/url]
This may beat out the Rent-A-Toilet. Something like what the Japanese have could also work: An array of what look like burial crypts that people slide into with a small porthole to look out.

Complaints of Airbnbs in Asheville usually come from neighbors who resent the increased traffic after late hours. People who rent these arrangements aren't in bed by 10:00. Usually any unlicensed business isn't received very well in a residential area. How about selling tacos out your kitchen window? Or, setting up a private campground where people could pitch their tents in your front yard, only $25 a night, $10 extra if want to rent the toilet?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 PM

395 posts, read 462,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
How about selling tacos out your kitchen window? Or, setting up a private campground where people could pitch their tents in your front yard, only $25 a night, $10 extra if want to rent the toilet?
Wahahahahahaha!! Thank you for giving me the laugh of the day!!! That was hilarious!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina