U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM

147 posts, read 101,506 times

Advertisements

Mysterious 'Loud Boom' Wakes Residents
Updated: Monday, January 19 2015, 08:22 PM EST

BUNCOMBE COUNTY, N.C. -- Mysterious booms have been reported across the Asheville area.

News 13 received multiple messages and phone calls about the blasts from Leicester, Enka, West Asheville, Candler and even Fletcher early Monday morning.

Following the mysterious booms and a call to 911, a Facebook user posted a video of someone firing a gun at what they say is Tannerite, causing an explosion near the area, where residents heard the booms.

"I heard four or five gunshots all in a row, followed by a very loud boom and I even felt like the cabin shook a little," resident Naomi Stock said.

Stock, who lives in West Asheville, said the loud noises woke her up.

"So, my brain went to the thought of a firework, right? Kids shooting a gun...maybe it was a loud firework they set off afterwards or maybe you can shoot at a firework and make it go off," said Stock.

Stock wasn't the only resident to hear a boom around 12:30 a.m. Dozens of others took to Facebook and contacted News 13 looking for answers.

Just over the mountain from Stock in Leicester, a Facebook user posted a video claiming it was at Starnes Cove, showing a man shooting a gun followed by an explosion early Monday morning.

In another video, the same Facebook user talks about Tannerite—a legal but explosive powder used for target practice.

The same user and another also made reference to explosions, saying "boom...any body feel shakey" and "’night...night Asheville lol #boom.’”

The users posted pictures of another Facebook page, where the community wrote about their concerns over blasts.

But, Stock said she wasn't so much concerned as she was curious.

"I like to investigate, so I was hoping to find some gun shells or some remnants of fireworks or something," Stock said.

The Facebook users who posted the video and comments about being behind the booms appear to have deleted their Facebook pages now.

News 13 also reached out to one of the posters and has not heard back.

The Buncombe County Sheriff's Office said it responded to a call Monday night in the area about shots fired, but found nothing. Deputies say there is an active investigation into what caused the booms.

Mysterious 'Loud Boom' Wakes Residents - WLOS - Asheville Top Stories - ABC
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 PM

5,326 posts, read 4,009,529 times
A while back when I picked up my Glock the dealer invited me back to his property to shoot my firearm at Tennerite? I'm guessing because I don't remember, but it was clear to me that he was refering to some sort of explosive. This was in Mars Hill.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 AM

492 posts, read 751,168 times
Later the news reported that someone had set off a homemade black powder bomb, or it could have been a meth lab exploring. Whoever will be laying low. Facebook pages disappeared.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 AM
RVT

364 posts, read 614,049 times
No way in he11 that a Tannerite target going off made her cabin shake to any noticeable effect.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:20 PM

277 posts, read 440,793 times
Facebook pages disappeared.

Tell me about that. I heard that cacophony down in Mtn Home.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 PM

147 posts, read 101,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
No way in he11 that a Tannerite target going off made her cabin shake to any noticeable effect.
What if they failed to follow the directions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina