U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 AM

764 posts, read 1,547,613 times

Advertisements

The topography isn't like Boone or Sugar Mountain but there are hills steep enough to be considered a 'ski slope.'

A couple of miles from Cashiers is the Sapphire Ski Area, off HWY 64 West, in Sapphire has a tube run and is family friendly. 1/4 mile run or so and has both intermediate and bunny runs. Small lines and crowds. It's a good place to learn to ski especially for the kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 11,460 times
Thumbs down FD Info

Asheville Native, You are completely wrong about the city’s ability to operate in inclement weather and steep topography. Currently there are 3 four wheel drive Engine Companies (7,8,2) which operate in the steepest areas of the city and one in reserve. Four ladder companies are equipped with 4 wheel drive Tac trucks which allow them to access just about anywhere. AFD also has a 4x4 tanker and multiple ATVs. As soon as snow/ice begins accumulating all of the city’s apparatus are chained with either cable chains or heavy steel chains. Each of the three shifts operate a 15-20 person wildland urban interface/search and rescue team which activate when threatening weather is forecast. We take our responsibilities very seriously. There are times that only a tank is going to get anywhere, i.e. 93 blizzard but we are prepared for about everything else. Get your facts straight before posting, brother.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 27,504,566 times
A bit of over reaction there NC Fireman. AFD is a good department, and I stated that, and I think Grayson has the priorities straight to make it a even better. I don't have a problem with any city FFs I know, dedicated professionals.

However the bulk of the apparatus and mind set is toward the bulk of the city streets, and when the word goes out to chain the trucks, it is based on the "city streets" and never the more difficult roads on Town Mtn, Beaucatcher , Beaverdam, etc. I know trucks have failed to make it up Beaucatcher Mtn because they had cable chains (which were appropriate for downtown) but on the mountain needed traditional chains. Watched a city engine (E1) struggle and struggle to make it up the road below my house, knowing that it could never make it up the steep part of the road, which it didn't need to in a rather light snow last winter. (chewed up the cable chains as pieces were all over the street) Fortunately they turned onto a different road and made it to the call, which turned out to be nothing more than blow back from a fireplace. They would not have made it to my house or any of my neighbors.

Listened to a truck get stuck on Beaucatcher because they were under chained, and the regular chains had to be brought to them so they could get off the mountain.

Couple of years ago they failed to reach a fire in the Beaverdam area, Truck couldn't make it up the hill.

As developers build steeper roads and the city annexes, it is only going to become more of a challenge. It is a challenge that all departments in the area face, and if nothing else 93' showed the need for 4x4 pumpers, or there would likely be a lot less in service in both the city and the county.

We are on the same side here, and as a city resident (not by choice but by annexation) I am aware that the industry, commercial, churches etc. are priority and getting to the houses on the hills is secondary (as far as planning goes). A great deal of the problem is not with the fire department, but with city hall. They have annexed some areas with just stupid steep roads, and in a good 6'+ wet snow nothing is going to make it, at least nothing that can fight fire.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM

234 posts, read 674,302 times
Your cabins' price was reduced today on the Asheville Craigslist to $590K - heading in the right direction! (See the threads regarding the bursting WNC real estate bubble).

Old 01-27-2008, 04:57 AM

1,161 posts, read 4,086,748 times
Hi Father John,
Now, THAT is mountain living, those cabins. I enjoyed your links. I think I read in your realtor's stuff you posted that this is a gated community. I am still of the mind the gated community closer to Brevard is something to keep in mind, Connestee Falls, just as pretty, bigger houses, more convenient. On the cabins, the sq footage may reflect the basement, as well, so look into that. But the location, while far away from regular towns, is about a half hour from Highlands, which is really a fun little town, and Dry Falls is a stunning national park stop near that town, too. Since the cabins are selling slow, and since the Connestee community always has something available even in affordable homes, I really think you should look at a spring trip up to Brevard again, and check out both locations in person, and THEN you will be better prepared to decide on the Lake Toxaway area, the Brevard area I keep bringing up, and any other homes that might be for sale in the area when you visit. This will also give you time to perhaps get your own home under contract, so you will be better financially prepared to make an offer on the spot when you hit on the right place. Which I think if you came back here in spring, you would indeed find a good selection of homes to choose from and be able to buy, and THEN move everything from Ariz to NC in short order. Just my two cents. We are all enjoying your efforts in finding a great place to live in these mountains.
GG

Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM

234 posts, read 674,302 times
The price is back up to $658K today

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM

764 posts, read 1,547,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
The price is back up to $658K today
And that particular piece of property will continue to be listed on CL for the next 18 months so don't despair. The price will come down, guaranteed...

Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,372 times
Default hello again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
Can anyone tell us more about Lake Toxaway? Is it touristy or a year 'round community? The following ad was on Craig's List and I thought maybe the Parkies could couple with us to buy the two cabins - if the area and cabins are both agreeable...

2 NEW (FINISHED FALL 06) LOG CABINS IN HOLLY FORREST COMMUNITY-- EACH HOUSE 3/2 plus heated basement and plumbed bath (owner will pay to finish off each basement) so total is 4 bed/3 bath; approx 2225 sq ft and also about 850 sq ft covered decks overlooking large stream--each lot about 1 acre- fully furnished/stone fireplace/move-in condition!!! BANK appraised in summer 07 at $375,000 each-- owner will take $600,000 for both plus will help with closing costs!!!!! so a ton of equity already built up-- taxes and insurance very low-- taxes around $800 yr/insurance about the same-- retire to one house and lease out the other--super rental program- seller has a home in lake toxaway already and just wants to sell these nice log cabins!please call (deleted to avoid ad ban)
i'm pretty sure you're the same folks i answered to before (question about allergies pertaining to WNC mountains..based on phoenix-area experience..originally from Mi?)
Well, now we are here in WNC; have been for 2 months. WE LOVE IT!! YOU'LL LOVE IT!! especially if your wife still desires the "greeness"!! it's here, so hurry up, come and see and enjoy! originally, we thought of moving to Burnsville..but its a drycounty..and ive heard it is a very "closed-minded" community (to outsiders, that is). So, we are here..the mailing address is Brevard..however technically it should be Lake Toxaway, since brevard is 20 min away, and my son's school is 5 miles away and is in Lake Toxaway. Anyhoo- my landlord/lady are from here..and work in Toxaway, doing domestic duties. So, based on their opinion (which i think is completely valid, since they are from here originally) the Toxaway community is "split", regarding year-round residents, and temporary ones. Lake Toxaway is a very affluent community. It hosts many private golf&country clubs. Many folks rent out their homes in the "green seasons". Coincidentally, i have heard in-town groveling about the Floridians which are about to "come up", since it's spring. I do also know that there are many year-round residents. I would assume that most of these are familys with small children. I will tell you that the school enrollment is very low..so we do know that Lake Toxaway is primarily a retirement-aged community (hence, the need/ability to hire for the domestic duties) Lake Toxaway is beautiful, we visit there often. There is so much to do!! or, complete serenity in doing nothing! The water here is amazing!!! a much-needed-refreshing after drinking that sewage from SRP !(we lived in Mesa&FountainHills last year) The people are friendly (even the ones originally from here!, which i DID NOT find in AZ) there is plenty of local produce, eggs, ect. There is no local butcher shop, which i am not fond of, however the meats in the stores are pretty much all "hormone-free", or free range. "Basements" here are a luxury.(because of the terrain) Especially if they are heated!
and being that you are in Az, driving the winding roads will be no problem for you. You can take a picnic up to the blue ridge parkway (from hghwy 215, located in Toxaway) the beauty up there has only been imagined (better than up north Mi, because of the mountains, their flora& all of the odd creatures! )sorry for rambling, i just found it extremely odd that i have only visited this website 2 times, and each time i landed upon your question, and being that our families are both from Mi, through Az, ultimately to N.C., i just had to reply. Hope this has helped!! and hurry up!! the grass really is greener in this side!!! Good luck to you both and happy travels with Godspeed!
from c. pizzo.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 AM

33 posts, read 169,157 times
A few things about Lake Toxaway: It is located in southwestern Transylvania County, NC. Lake Toxaway has the largest tax base in the county and has a 14 mile shore line. If you are interested in a lake front lot plan on at least 1 million for the lot. Houses are being torn down which cost 1 to 2 million to build and are building 10 million dollar houses in their place. Lake Cardinal which is a small lake at the head of Lake Toxaway lots are cheaper but not by much. Also Toxaway Mountain has awsome views of the lakes in S.C. as well as an eastern view of the mountain ranges across Transylania County. I don't know the cost up there but the elevation is around 4500'. Tough for a loaded fire truck to get up there.

Most all the houses in the area owned by locals as well as summer residents all have basements. Only in the last few years since building cost has gotten so expensive do they build without basements. You'll find that most locals live up NC 281W well off the lake. Also locals live on NC 281 E, this is the road leading to the entrance of Gorges State Park and Whitewater Falls(tallest falls east of the Mississippi River). Quebec is a community located on US 64E about 4 miles from Lake Toxaway but has mail delivery out of the Lake Toxaway post office therefore many transplants call it part of Lake Toxaway(a good way to tell the transplants from locals). The Silversteen community located directly north of Lake Toxaway is also served by the Lake Toxaway post office and is considered part of Lake Toxaway. The zip code for Lake Toxaway is 28747. There are no developments in Quebec or Silversteen therefore its mostly locals living there with a few summer homes mixed in. The elementary school that Neighbor To All spoke of is located in Quebec and is named T.C. Henderson Elementary. I think it has less than 100 students in grades K-5. Also is the best elementary school in the county. Could be because of the low enrollment and more 1 on 1 student teacher interaction.

The highway to Lake Toxaway is US 64W build around 1900 and from Rosman to Lake Toxaway is very narrow and curvey as well as US 64W from Cashiers.Some highway improvment is going on at Hooper Hill just east of Cashiers. Lake Toxaway is also accessable from NC 107 in Jackson County by taking NC 281E but some road construction is going on there as this has been the only NC highway to still be gravel. The drive from NC 107 to Lake Toxaway is awesome, but not for the faint of heart.

A few more facts. Holly Forest Father John spoke of is located in Jackson County about 5 miles from Cashiers and 6 to 8 miles from Lake Toxaway. Across the road from Holly Forest is Sapphire valley Resort I think it has somewhere around 1900 acres. It is not to be confused with Sapphire Lakes which is in Transylvania County about 5 miles from Lake Toxaway.

As far as services and shopping in Lake Toxaway the closes Target is around 50 miles over near the Asheville Airport. Sylva in Jackson County has a super wal mart. It is about 25 miles away. Brevard has a wal mart about 22 miles to the east. There are a couple mom and pop restraunts, a service station or two and a few gift shops in the area. McKneely's store in Sapphire is a hardware, clothing, equipment store very much like Tractor Supply. You can pay your light bill at Haywood Electric on NC 281. Lake Toxaway does have cable service from Citcom out of Brevard. Many locals have satalite due to more selection available. I think in the future there is going to be build a downtown shopping area just west of the dam and Toxaway falls on US 64.

One other thing Neighbor To All said NC 215 ran thru Lake Toxaway NC 281 runs thru. You can get to the BRP that way but you had better know your secondary roads. NC 215 she spoke of is about 1/2 mile west of Rosman at the Headwaters Outfitters shop. Rosman is about 10 miles east of Lake Toxaway.

Father John I hope this helps if you happen to read.

BadTiger

Old 05-02-2008, 09:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,198,365 times
Lake Toxoway is too wet for me. Highest rainfall in the entire state, according to the State Climate Office of North Carolina. Average annual precipitation is around 92".

Weather Extremes | State Climate Office of North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina