Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 04:27 PM

90 posts, read 66,960 times

Advertisements

Getting closer to retirement. A lot to like on Long Island, but the real estate taxes (20G plus) are a burden for retirees, and the appeal of NYC is not so important anymore. What I like is the parks, shopping, restaurants, and medical care. All top notch here.
Been to Asheville several times. Seems like a nice town for retirement. For 500G or so, plus 4G taxes, looks like I can buy a place that is comparable to a million dollar home on Long Island.
A friend, in a similar situation, likes Wilmington NC (and its close access to the nearby beaches). One of my old clients has a medical practice there, and speaks highly of his town.
No doubt, I have to take a closer look at both towns, but wondering is anyone on this board has any insight to share. Any input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 04:34 PM

773 posts, read 646,161 times
Do you want to be in the mountains, or on the beach? Thats the question. As much as I love western NC, I chose the beach. YMMV.

They are both great places, regardless of what the naysayers may post.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:03 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
I agree - it boils down to mountains versus beach. If you want to live near the beach, Wilmington would not be near the top of my list. There are so many towns with better nearby beaches.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I agree - it boils down to mountains versus beach. If you want to live near the beach, Wilmington would not be near the top of my list. There are so many towns with better nearby beaches.
I'm not so sure about that. Wrightsville Beach is one of the best beaches in NC, Carolina Beach is also nearby, and Wilmington has more amenities (parks, shopping, restaurants, and medical care) than any other coastal city in NC. Of course, it depends on what one is looking for.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Wrightsville Beach is one of the best beaches in NC, Carolina Beach is also nearby, and Wilmington has more amenities (parks, shopping, restaurants, and medical care) than any other coastal city in NC. Of course, it depends on what one is looking for.
I wasn't talking so much about NC, but other states. The sand/beaches along the East coast pale in comparison to Gulf Coast beaches. Our daughter lived near Wilmington at one time. Not impressed..

Old 11-09-2020, 08:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I wouldn’t want to live near the Gulf Coast personally. So many hurricanes, plus I like actual waves.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I wouldn’t want to live near the Gulf Coast personally. So many hurricanes, plus I like actual waves.
Wilmington has its share of hurricanes as well. I lived at various places along the Gulf Coast for many years. Have no desire to live anyplace where there's a possibility of hurricanes. I guess you've never been to Pensacola Beach, FL or Orange Beach, AL. There's plenty of 'actual waves' there and at other places along the Gulf Coast, along with gorgeous white, fine sand beaches. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the entire country..

Old 11-09-2020, 10:24 PM

405 posts, read 317,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post
Getting closer to retirement. A lot to like on Long Island, but the real estate taxes (20G plus) are a burden for retirees, and the appeal of NYC is not so important anymore. What I like is the parks, shopping, restaurants, and medical care. All top notch here.
Been to Asheville several times. Seems like a nice town for retirement. For 500G or so, plus 4G taxes, looks like I can buy a place that is comparable to a million dollar home on Long Island.
A friend, in a similar situation, likes Wilmington NC (and its close access to the nearby beaches). One of my old clients has a medical practice there, and speaks highly of his town.
No doubt, I have to take a closer look at both towns, but wondering is anyone on this board has any insight to share. Any input appreciated.

Extremely tough choice, as both places are great. As much as I like Asheville, I would pick Wilmington as a retirement location. Asheville is a bit isolated, and not as much culture and history as Wilmington. Plus the beach.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I wasn't talking so much about NC, but other states. The sand/beaches along the East coast pale in comparison to Gulf Coast beaches. Our daughter lived near Wilmington at one time. Not impressed..
The OP asked specifically about Wilmington. Other areas and states are irrelevant and off topic. The gulf coast pales in comparison to other beaches in the world. OP didn't ask for best beach in the US or world.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
The OP asked specifically about Wilmington. Other areas and states are irrelevant and off topic. The gulf coast pales in comparison to other beaches in the world. OP didn't ask for best beach in the US or world.
I made a comment which I think might be of some value to the OP. I stand by my comment and post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina