Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 07:01 AM

9 posts, read 50,814 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have info/comments about the Little Switzerland area.It is in southern Mitchell county at 3500 ft. on the Blue Ridge Parkway.It is a beautiful area,remote but not isolated.Seems to be a nice place to build a vacation home /eventual retirement home. Its not to far from Charlotte either.Does anyone know the land prices,weather, or negatives about the area.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
A good way to check out real estate prices would be to find the local newspaper, most are online and see what's there. You can also google Little Switzerland MLS and may be able to find a link for searching the local real estate market. If that doesn't work, go to the chamber of commerce website and go through the real estate co and look at the properties that way.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Little Switzerland is a unincorporated community on the border of McDowell and Mitchell counties. Technically, it's in McDowell county.

This is the historical climate summary for the Little Switzerland area:

GILLESPIE GAP, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Old 01-15-2008, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 17,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRIGHT View Post
Does anyone have info/comments about the Little Switzerland area.It is in southern Mitchell county at 3500 ft. on the Blue Ridge Parkway.It is a beautiful area,remote but not isolated.Seems to be a nice place to build a vacation home /eventual retirement home. Its not to far from Charlotte either.Does anyone know the land prices,weather, or negatives about the area.Thanks
I live in Mitchell County and LS is a nice little hideaway. Going down Crowders Mountain (SR 226) is an adventure when it is raining or in particular snowy, so your Charlotte commute is easier in Spring and Summer. Also that is the easiest way to Asheville although you can go 19E thru Burnsville which does have a lot of traffic (2 lane road) in early morning and after school...they are however planning to 4 lane 19E from 26 to Burnsville.

LS is very close to Spruce Pine but no where in Mitchell are there any great eataries or shopping. Very good hospital in Spruce Pine. Normal snowfall is 30 inches or so but the last ten years have averaged something like 14.

Depends what you like. there are other areas of Mitchell that are quite nice and more remote yet close to decent size cities. Buladean, Bakersville are more "remote" yet both are less than 50 miles from Asheville and Johnson City, Tn. If you travel via Air be prepared to go to Charlotte or Greenville. Asheville and JC (Tri Cities) are very expensive. Charlotte is no bargin either.

Land prices are very good in Mitchell in general but much better value in Buladean and Bakersville....SP and LS are overpriced. LS is right next to the Blue ridge Parkway so there is limited land and most of it is steep (topography, not price)...very steep. SP is not as "upscale" as some of the other areas of Mitchell.

Schools are average to above. Jobs are non existent. Recreational activities are abundant. Fishing, hiking, berry picking, etc and outdoor activites are everywhere in Mitchell County. Roan Mountain (Carvers Gap) is closer to Bakersville/Buledean but Mt. Mitchell is closer to Mt. Celo and LS. Penland School is closer to Bakersville, and the arts are more prevelant there also. Leaf season produces a lot of traffic around LS, as does the Villages at LS...I personally do not like the traffic on these crowded 1 lane roads.

Do not know your budget but check out The Orchard in Bakersville, Mt. Celo, and Beech Creek in Buladean. For value I think you can do better than LS. Building costs are higher there due to having to a lot of site work generally in LS...better to buy something already there IMHO...for building check out the places I mentioned...try Bakersville.com and Douglas Construction in Bakersville.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Also Mountainaire, near Burnsville. But I do love Little Switzerland...there's a 1920s vibe about the place. "Course, my kinfolks were servants to the people who had summer places there.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 50,814 times
Default Little Switzerland

My 2 cents
Thanks for the info.This is the kind of info I am looking for.I am a snow lover.I drove back up to LS and talked to a realtor.He told me exactly the same thing about the snowfall and the land values you said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina