Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times

Advertisements

"Politics" is a chat point, and seldom to never an issue, esp if one dodges the chat.

I vote every time in elections, but there is little to no pressure, and other than local politics, eg one person vs another, no one cares and it is of no concern what one feels or thinks, position-wise.

Waynesville is a thriving area, with busy downtown, few to no empty store fronts: local biz, artsy fartsy places, restaurants, brew pubs, et al. Big box stores are on edge of town.

Town is very well run, imo with Mayor/Council, and Town Mgr. County is OK run, with some long term players, but all in all, it is a well run/fiscally responsible area.

County is pushing 60,000 plus seasonal, and 'town' is 10,000 plus seasonal. The seasonal gang, has dough, are usually retired, and we all pay their taxes willingly, and we all get along.

We have very good friends that are 7th or 8th Gen locals and lots of people from lots of other places. No one is confrontational. We all get along...

Housing is all over the map, price-wise, literally. ~ $150Gs for something down in the holler to $1.5 Mil + for 6,000 sq ft estates.

Altitude is your friend, if you are seeking cooler temps: town is at 2700 ft, and housing goes up to 6,000 ft elevation+. We are at ~5,000 ft , though most will find a good selection of existing, well built houses at 4,000 and less. 3,200 to 3,800 tends to be a tipping point in terms of temps, accessibility, and more spacious land/lifestyle.

I have written hundreds of posts on 'Waynesville'...sometimes, I think that I should dissuade potential 'place seekers, but it is a very good place to live.

'Tudes are slim to none, and it is live and let live. We all get along.

Having lived in a few places, inc metro NY for 2.5 decades, it is the best place I've found, so far.

Other blathering by me, or the need for even more opins, DM me.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina