Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,076 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I'm interested to hear how you would describe the similarities and differences between Waynesville, Weaverville and Black Mountain.

My wife and I are in our mid 30s with two young children (1 is starting kindergarten next year). We want to live in the mountains, but still want to be close enough to Asheville that we can enjoy the city.

We've visited Waynesville and really loved the little downtown area, but I'm getting concerned with what I've read about the internet availability. Since I need interent for my work, it is an critical component to our decision. I would be willing to consider other areas, but I want to make sure they are still in the mountains and have the charm that we experienced in Waynesville.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 07:49 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I have only a cursory/visitor view of Weaverville and BM.
Live in Waynesville.

If one has Charter Cable, the internet speeds are very good, as usual for cable.

If one is dependent upon 4G phone stuff, or the few wireless operations that offer service, you won't like it.

ATT has some services, but no idea of the area(s) it is offered.

I have the aforementioned 'local brew' wireless: ~5 Mbps down and maybe 1 Mb up, as we are at high altitude and Charter's cable stops about a mile down the road. Ain't fun, but I am a Retired Bum, and can live with it, and I really don't have an option.

If one finds a house in Waynesville, Weaverville or BM, just make certain that it is cable ready.

Fwiw, we really enjoy living in Waynesville, but no dog in the fight. I wish you well in your search.
GL, mD

Old 03-25-2015, 06:05 AM

124 posts, read 815,814 times
If you are considering Black Mountain with small children, keep your eyes wide open on the schools. We pulled ours out to go to private school. Also, know it's a great town on the surface, but there's lots of hidden poverty here. I don't think internet would be an issue here as long as you are close enough to town.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 AM

39 posts, read 64,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccool719 View Post
If you are considering Black Mountain with small children, keep your eyes wide open on the schools. We pulled ours out to go to private school. Also, know it's a great town on the surface, but there's lots of hidden poverty here.
Yeah...definitely don't want your kid having classmates who are poor. Oh, the horror!

/s

Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccool719 View Post
If you are considering Black Mountain with small children, keep your eyes wide open on the schools. We pulled ours out to go to private school. Also, know it's a great town on the surface, but there's lots of hidden poverty here. I don't think internet would be an issue here as long as you are close enough to town.
I am not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Are you saying that the great part is the style of the town-cute touristy town surrounded by beautiful mountains but when you scratch the surface there are poor people (and this is the "not great" part) in Black Mountain?

Old 03-26-2015, 02:20 PM

88 posts, read 83,103 times
I'd say Weaverville is your best bet. It's a quicker trip to Asheville than from Black Mountain, and it's close to lots of hiking and other areas while also having an identity separate from Asheville's.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljber View Post
I'd say Weaverville is your best bet. It's a quicker trip to Asheville than from Black Mountain, and it's close to lots of hiking and other areas while also having an identity separate from Asheville's.
Hi, I've visited Weaverville but haven't really explored the trails there. You say it has closer access to hiking than BM. Can you share any trails/hikes you recommend. I have spent time in Black Mountain and done the trails up around Montreat; lookout mountain etc.

Can you recommend some trails. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM

39 posts, read 64,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Hi, I've visited Weaverville but haven't really explored the trails there. You say it has closer access to hiking than BM. Can you share any trails/hikes you recommend. I have spent time in Black Mountain and done the trails up around Montreat; lookout mountain etc.

Can you recommend some trails. Thanks.
I would probably dispute that Weaverville has any appreciable amount of closer trails than Black Mountain. Without doing a thorough analysis though I'm going to guess that they are about equal in that regard. Note that this list is not comprehensive and you should do your own research before venturing to these areas.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the closest hiking areas to Weaverville:

To the East (note: some of this is close to equidistant from Weaverville and Black Mountain, as the crow flies, but easier accessed from Weaverville...although there isn't really anything within a 5-10 minute drive):

- Coleman Boundary / Big Ivy / Corner Rock Creek are near Barnardsville.
- Craggy Gardens area on the Blue Ridge Parkway (technically this is part of the Coleman Boundary but the trailhead is obviously in a different location)

To the West/North:

- Silvermine Trailhead / Pump Gap Loop / Appalachian Trail (Hot Springs)
- Laurel River Trail (Hot Springs)
- Shelton Laurel Backcountry
- one more area I'm drawing a blank on the name...it's near the river past Woodfin, a mountain bike and hiking trail area.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for comparison's sake, here are the closest hiking areas to Black Mountain (these are within a 5-15 minute drive)

- Montreat's trail system
- Blue Ridge Assembly (High Windy)
- Warren Wilson College's trail system
- Mountains to Sea Trail

and a little bit further out but still not that far...

- Mt. Mitchell State Park
- Curtis Creek / Mackey Mountain area
- Catawba Falls

Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 13,347 times
Waynesville is not so close to asheville as you might think at first. My suggestion would be to drive the round trip TWICE in one day and tell me if you think its 'close' Black Mountain is a fun town, i stayed there 3 months while house shopping. The real estate choices are limited. If you find the right home, and beware the train noise, i think life would be great there. Weaverville is a suburb of Asheville, to me it has the look and feel of a bedroom community

Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Weaverville is not a bedroom community to Asheville. It very much has its own identity and small town lifestyle with some good amenities. I do not have children in the school system but hear mostly positive. Both primary and elementary close in town locations. Community seems a good mix of people and very friendly. Main Street has library, shops, town hall, a killer bakery, top notch local pizza parlor, several good restaurants. The strip has the anywhere USA shops but so far not on Main Street, it still feels like a home town Americana place. Thank heavens! It is a great place to live been here 12 years. Short drive to the parkway and Asheville is a breeze. I like both Waynesville and Black Mountain each has its own charm. Need to visit and get a feel for each town. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina