U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 03:23 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,566,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs3705 View Post
Oohh, that hurts! Real estate values won't hold/increase there?? Why do you say that?? Do others agree?? Now im worried!! I've looked at/ driven by and searched all of the towns you've mentioned. Maybe we are picky but we are not finding anything and we are checking every day. I do have a Realtor - he is attentive and will definitely show us anything we wish to see in any towns mentioned!

Rather than you driving around other towns, you need a Realtor to take you around and show you the better areas. However, real estate agents can't possibly know every town or neighborhoods; and most have their "service area" and are reluctant to vary from that. So you can be "put" in an area unknowingly missing others that may have suited your needs much better. Sometimes they don't like to refer you to agents in other towns, because they know they might "lose" you as a buyer. It is impossible for an agent to be savvy about all the areas around here. I always referred clients to an agent who could handle their wants, no matter how much time I had spent with them. It's all about the buyer when working for the buyer. Have you signed a Buyer's Agency Agreement with this agent? If so, you could be tied to him/her at the hip. So make sure of that before you get another agent, if you decide to do so.
That agreement means that the agent will get paid no matter what you buy. You can cancel the agreement, however, and ask to be referred.

You need to look in subdivisions, neighborhoods and areas in your price range. Your initial description of what you are looking for is above average for many nice subdivisions here. Seriously, no matter how "attentive" your current agent, you may need to find an agent that is knowledgeable about other areas in lower Buncombe County, and Henderson County. Plenty of very nice inventory out there in your price range.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM

21 posts, read 21,381 times
We have been looking at subdivisions in our price range in Asheville and surrounding areas both with and without our Realtor and based upon his recommendations. We like to do some drive bys on our own. We will not be happy with a cookie cutter home in a subdivision- hence the drive bys. We don't want to waste everyone's time. Not worried about Agency relationship other than that maybe he's not telling me something about Leicester!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:03 PM

I do understand and appreciate what you are saying and will consider them as we move forward.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
We have been looking at subdivisions in our price range in Asheville and surrounding areas both with and without our Realtor and based upon his recommendations. We like to do some drive bys on our own. We will not be happy with a cookie cutter home in a subdivision- hence the drive bys. We don't want to waste everyone's time. Not worried about Agency relationship other than that maybe he's not telling me something about Leicester!

Honestly, I don't know of any subdivisions with cookie cutter homes in that price range; unless they are actually in Asheville close to the city. And those would be much older homes sometimes in historic neighborhoods, and not in the $400K range unless they need updating.

I, personally, would not spend $400K in Leicester. In a heartbeat I would spend it in Weaverville or Black Mountain though.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:30 PM

Love Black Mountain- will keep looking...

Old 04-10-2015, 07:22 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,186,059 times
My 2 cents worth....may not be worth that much. Before we moved to the Weaverville area we lived in the Piedmont in a rural area with no town or central focal point. While I loved our house/ property the lack of any place to relate to and meet and greet got old. When we were looking in this area Leicester reminded me of what we'd left. We are now about 7 miles from Weaverville and I love having a town with schools, stores, library, restaurants where I have gotten to know people and feel like I belong. There are many very nice small towns in this area to consider for a hometown feel with rural outskirts but still be 30 minutes from Asheville if you want more city amenities. This may not be important to you at all, just throwing it out for your consideration. If totally rural is your thing Barnardsville might be a place to look at but it is very rural. Hope you find a place you really like!

Old 04-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you, good points!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM

I'm still torn! We love this house in Leicester and My husband really wants to be in an area that's private and has some views. We are not finding a like house anywhere else. A similarly like house in Black Mountain or Weaverville does not have the character, views or lot for the price.

Check it out! 33 Silver Spoon Drive, Leicester NC For Sale | Trulia.com

It's the views that have my husband hooked....and he's already got his garden dug and his hot tub in place! He is a country boy at heart married to me, who is used to having everything at hand. This house is in a Subdivision with an HOA and rules and regs. We don't have to commute nor do we have kids in school any more. I am hearing very mixed reviews about the area but need to make a decision soon! Thank all of you for all the good input! I will continue to visit this site as we make our move. Wish us luck!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I'm still torn! We love this house in Leicester and My husband really wants to be in an area that's private and has some views. We are not finding a like house anywhere else. A similarly like house in Black Mountain or Weaverville does not have the character, views or lot for the price.

Check it out! 33 Silver Spoon Drive, Leicester NC For Sale | Trulia.com

It's the views that have my husband hooked....and he's already got his garden dug and his hot tub in place! He is a country boy at heart married to me, who is used to having everything at hand. This house is in a Subdivision with an HOA and rules and regs. We don't have to commute nor do we have kids in school any more. I am hearing very mixed reviews about the area but need to make a decision soon! Thank all of you for all the good input! I will continue to visit this site as we make our move. Wish us luck!

You're in love with the views. As for the house, here is my opinion, you're not going to like it; but it is an honest opinion from many years of real estate experience. Went to the agent's website and looked at all the photos.

33 Silver Spoon Drive in Leicester, North Carolina 28748 - MLS# 573566 - Beverly Hanks & Associates REALTORSĀ®

First: It is overpriced and has no curb appeal, and no character.

It's only 3 BR's and they are all small.

None of the rooms seem large

ONE car garage ? !

Bathtub in the window of master bath ?

Garage is under home, not desirable on a 2/3 level home. I can see water flowing right into that lower level

For $450K I'd want a much nicer front entrance, more stylish appearance in general, stonework etc. (not wooden steps!)

Porch is not screened

Kitchen is odd, cabinets are not attractive, nothing attractive about that kitchen or the baths.

Is that a living room/dining room/kitchen combination? Not attractive at all Small

Driveway is an issue, how are you going to get the snow out of the driveway, uphill ?

I don't see any upside to the value of that home except the views. You can't live outside.

There are much nicer homes on the market at that price.

To me, that house looks like the homeowner planned it on the back of a dinner napkin.

You can do much better.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:52 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,186,059 times
Wow QC that seems rather harsh to me! Looks like a very attractive house which Maggs and her husband seem to like and it meets their needs. I have wooden front steps no idea it was such a no, no. Only concern with views around WNC is who owns what you are viewing and could you find yourself viewing something else in the future. Not much for zoning Buncombe County. Maggs, I hope you can make a decision based on what you like and find appealing and are happy with your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina