Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:33 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times

Advertisements

Be sure and take the drive between Cleveland TN and Ducktown. The Ocoee River gorge area is beautiful. Lots of outdoor activities if you enjoy hiking, white-water, and tubing. A couple of zip-line places. When your in the Ducktown area, drop down and see Copperhill,TN/McCaysville GA. One town (two names and two states!). And... lots to see in the North GA area there as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:22 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
WNC is higher elevation and thus a little cooler. ETN is lower elevation 800' as opposed to 2000'+. You will find a lot more flat/rolling land in ETN and are far more likely to find something in your budget - especially if you want to be near a town of any size. While the non-public land in ETN is not mountainous good views of the mountains can be found - though you have to be selective. With your budget you are far more likely to find something in ETN. Johnson City is closest to the actual mountains, Knoxville has the Urban wilderness with hiking trails right in town, Chattanooga has trail offerings as well. ETN has some good cities but I think WNC has better small towns.

Further west in ETN is the Cumberland plateau. The elevation is around 2000' and property is very cheap. Crossville has mostly chain restaurants and minimal shopping but a good hospital and lots of retirees to keep you busy. Cookeville is a bit west of the plateau but it is a college town with more shopping and close enough to Nashville for day trips.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan1972 View Post
Wow! I knew I did the right thing by posting here, thanks for the info and by all means keep it coming.Thanks motordavid for the comparison. On the contrary roadpony the lack of income tax in Tenn weighed against the pay in my field is a huge consideration. Thanks for the heads up on Cleveland Tenn Xenah I'll give it a look. If it helps at all the big reasons for this move are better weather ( done with snow measured in feet not inches ), lower cost of living, and just generally more of a space between me and my neighbors, not that I'm antisocial at all. Up in Mass we're kind of stacked on top of each other and I'm looking for some room to roam. Again thanks for all the help and if you think of anything please let me know.

Best.
Bryan

Don't fixate on the income tax equation Bryan; WNC has a lot more to offer in many of your wants and needs on your list than TN. They have to make up the no income tax someplace, so TN has a very high sales tax of 9.45% (state & local). Here is the link:

Tennessee Sales Tax Rate - 2015

Being from RI I feel your pain -- we did most of the same homework you are considering before settling in Henderson County several years ago, a bit south of Asheville and a bit north of Greenville SC. Right in between the best hospital systems in this area. WNC and eastern TN, are totally different animals.

Wishing you the best.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:02 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
WNC is higher elevation and thus a little cooler. ETN is lower elevation 800' as opposed to 2000'+.
I think Knoxville is @ 800, here in the tri-cities we are at roughly 1600 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Don't fixate on the income tax equation Bryan; WNC has a lot more to offer in many of your wants and needs on your list than TN. They have to make up the no income tax someplace, so TN has a very high sales tax of 9.45% (state & local). Here is the link:
NC has a rate of 6.9% so not a huge difference.
It's been years, but at one point I did some calculations and discovered that I would keep more money in my pocket each year by paying that higher sales tax than I would with an income tax rate of 6%. YMMV

Old 04-20-2015, 07:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
NC income tax rate is now 5.75%

Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
I think Knoxville is @ 800, here in the tri-cities we are at roughly 1600 ft
It's been years, but at one point I did some calculations and discovered that I would keep more money in my pocket each year by paying that higher sales tax than I would with an income tax rate of 6%. YMMV

The OP will find that income is at least 30-40% less than the northeast, so state income taxes are a moot point. He will also see a huge difference in the price of real estate. Property taxes are half or less for a similar home here than in the northeast -- especially the Boston area.

Quality of life: hugely less stressful, less nutty traffic, fresh air; the scenery and outdoor living is a huge plus, year 'round; in either state.

Either way, there are some very good cost of living calculators online, Google is friendly that way.'

Here is one comparing Dedham, MA (about 20 mins. from Boston), to Hendersonville, NC with a salary of $65K

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And this one comparing Dedham, MA to Cleveland, TN

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2015 at 06:30 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 10,886 times
Again, thanks so much for the info regarding the elevation of NC/Tenn creeksitter. Since a big reason for the move is better weather with less winter that really helps. Quilterchick, I'd like to hear more about your take on the differences between NC and Tenn since you seem to have already gone down this road.Thanks for the info on the taxes down there DoubleT and your take on keeping more money in your pocket was pretty much what I was thinking. With the sales tax , you don't buy you don't pay. With the income tax you get hit just for walking through the doors at work. Thanks for all the great advice tips and opinions. Please keep them coming, I'm very thankful.

Best
Bryan

Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
NC income tax rate is now 5.75%
Referring to sales tax rate, 9.45 vs 6.9. Sorry could have been more clear.
Used 6% income tax as it seems to be an average rate for states around TN

Old 04-20-2015, 12:49 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Referring to sales tax rate, 9.45 vs 6.9. Sorry could have been more clear.
Used 6% income tax as it seems to be an average rate for states around TN
Gotcha. Most common sales tax in NC is 6.75%...some places are a little more, but its always on the quarter of a cent, so nowhere is it 6.9%. Also, TN has a 5% sales tax on food; NC's is 2%.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Don't fixate on the income tax equation Bryan; WNC has a lot more to offer in many of your wants and needs on your list than TN.

They have to make up the no income tax some place, so TN has a very high sales tax of 9.45% (state & local).

Here is the link: Tennessee Sales Tax Rate - 2015
Well, according to your link . . .

NORTH CAROLINA

Sales Tax - 4.75%

Local jurisdictions can add to that and take it up to a maximum of 7.5%

TENNESSEE

Sales Tax - 7.0%

Local jurisdictions can add to that and take it up to a maximum of 9.75%

__________________________________________________ _______

Hmmm. Is a 2.25% difference in sales tax really going to make as much of a difference as the fact that NC has an income tax and TN does not?

Tennessee is also more friendly to retirees with pensions, in that they don't tax them and North Carolina does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina