Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,967,271 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had an issue with Blue Ridge Electric? They have several times now added someone else's outstanding balance to my account. One was a relative - who did not live in my house- and once was my ex- brother in law.

If it's illegal to even discuss someone else's debt with another, how can brmeco just add someone else's outstanding balance to my account and threaten me with denial of service if I don't pay.

Please help! Time is running out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 11:21 AM

376 posts, read 498,665 times
Did you co-sign for those peoples electric accounts?

Like sign any legal documents to help them establish an electric account because maybe their credit was bad/insufficient/too new?

Last edited by juggar; 05-22-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 11:56 AM

well?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,365,083 times
I agree, there has to be more to this story than someone else's account balance just randomly showing up on your bill.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I agree, there has to be more to this story than someone else's account balance just randomly showing up on your bill.
Yeah, im almost sure OP co-signed the electric accounts and now that the accounts are not being paid they tacked it onto her bill which is well within their right. After all, it is her legal obligation to pay the bill if she co-signed.

Never ever ever co-sign/guarantor for someone! Even family can burn yah as indicated here.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:11 PM

No. I did not cosign for either person. There is not more to the story. The woman who runs my office of br electric asked if we were related. I said yes. She added her balance to my account. Period. She has also threatened to add my ex brother in law.

That is the entire story. I did not live with either of them. Neither of theM live with me.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:21 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,365,083 times
Then I'd refuse to pay it and contact a lawyer or legal aid. to bring action against them. I'd also call or email the president of the electric coop to lodge a complaint, and I'd try to get the local tv station/newspaper interested in what they're doing, because its its not legal.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:25 PM

That's what I keep saying and she told me either I pay or make her pay or lose my electric. I even said to her it's illegal to discuss someone else's debt with me, how is this legal? She basically told me she can do what she wabts. They're the only power company where I live.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
No. I did not cosign for either person. There is not more to the story. The woman who runs my office of br electric asked if we were related. I said yes. She added her balance to my account. Period. She has also threatened to add my ex brother in law.

That is the entire story. I did not live with either of them. Neither of theM live with me.
What the hell? go over there and DEMAND an explanation.

I would also call up the relatives and ask them why the hell you are being charged for their electric bill. It is possible they used your social to help sign up for the account or something.

If all else fails I would seek legal aid but not before asking the relatives and electric co what is going on.

What's happening is not legal, you are NOT liable for family members debts unless they are your spouse and even then i'm pretty sure it only some of the time.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
That's what I keep saying and she told me either I pay or make her pay or lose my electric. I even said to her it's illegal to discuss someone else's debt with me, how is this legal? She basically told me she can do what she wabts. They're the only power company where I live.
Sounds like extortion to me... sounds like a personal visit to the office is in order. Try to speak to someone else in authority.

At least bring an audio recorder and keep it hidden in case you've got to go to court over it.

Also, who cares if they are discussing someone's else's debt with you. Thats insignificant compared to what's happening. You need to be asking on what legal grounds do they have the right to do this. If she tries to extort tell them you'll be getting a lawyer involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina