Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM

27 posts, read 35,379 times

Advertisements

Yes, Hollywood thank you. I figured everything on the east of Lake Norman would be too far and not easy to get around... I think it was wishful thinking on my part LOL.

And, roadpony thank you so much! That Catawba County link is perfect!! That's the stuff were willing to trade things for

Southbound, those posts sound like they're from some colorful characters... Diversity is so much fun!

I've never lived in a small town and seriously have always wanted to... It's just that being married with a family; it's not just me I'm affecting and want to be sure it's the best move for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 09:43 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
In addition to City of Hickory's Parks and Recreation Dept posted above, check out Catawba County's Parks Dept. which is more focused on outdoor activities such as canoeing, fishing, hiking trails, mountain biking trails, picnicking areas, shelter and grills, dog parks, wildlife habitat and bird feeding viewing areas.

Also be sure to check out the Catawba Science Center.
The Baker Mountain Park is quite beautiful, with views of distant mountains. It has the hiking trails the OP may enjoy.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:48 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycityblues View Post
Yes, Hollywood thank you. I figured everything on the east of Lake Norman would be too far and not easy to get around... I think it was wishful thinking on my part LOL.

And, roadpony thank you so much! That Catawba County link is perfect!! That's the stuff were willing to trade things for

Southbound, those posts sound like they're from some colorful characters... Diversity is so much fun!

I've never lived in a small town and seriously have always wanted to... It's just that being married with a family; it's not just me I'm affecting and want to be sure it's the best move for our family.
Don't mistake Hickory as a small town. It's a smaller city. It's not Mayberry.

Just to put it in perspective. . . Grab your map & look at 321 & US 70. They intersect in Hickory. Hickory has a ton of shopping options. They draw people in from a wide area. Look down 321 to Gastonia. They also have a ton of shopping & draw from a wide area. The shopping doesn't repeat 100% so the cities do draw from each other's shopping spheres.

I'd suggest that you look as close as possible to Hickory. Also, keep in mind that much of Lincoln County is quite rural & most uses Lincolnton as a postal address. The actual city of Lincolnton is pretty insular. There are unincorporated areas with Lincolnton addresses that have more transplants & are more welcoming.

I have driven from downtown Gastonia to SE Hickory in 30 minutes at various times of day.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:04 AM

146 posts, read 139,578 times
I live north of Hickory, but am originally from Asheville. The culture is different, even within the same state. However, most of my circle of friends are transplants as well.

There are definitely not going to be the organized activity options you have now. Charlotte would be better suited for that. Many people who live in Hickory commute to work in Charlotte, but that seems like a lot of driving for regular children's extracurricular activites. We do occasional, irregular activites in Charlotte. I don't know much about Lincoln County (where Denver is), I only drive through it when I'm going to Charlotte, but it looks pretty uneventful. Hickory does have several great parks, YMCA activites, Science Center.

However, the best activites are outdoor things: we're surrounded by rivers and lakes (although these are NC lakes, they'll look like rivers to you), the mountains are within sight and a short drive to great hiking. You're not going to get that in Lincoln or Charlotte areas. The lake neighborhoods in NW Hickory and across the lake in Granite Falls would be the most desirable to me. The Forest Hills area in Hickory is next to several parks, Rec center, lake access, etc.

The Granite Falls school system is small and supposed to be good, but I don't have any kids in it to confirm that. There are several martial arts storefronts in downtown Granite Falls, but not sure specifically about Taekwondo.

If you are flexible and willing to experience a different culture, I think you'll find Hickory a nice family small city. You have easy access to bigger cities, should you feel the need for a day of city amenities. You can easily spend the day in Asheville, Charlotte, or Winston-Salem. You can be high in the mountains in 35 minutes or down on the lake in 5. You can also be on the coast in 4 1/2 hours. I definitely wouldn't move here without at job as the area is somewhat economically depressed, but the housing is very affordable and you should easily find something within your budget.

Last edited by Thegofoxgo; 07-10-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina