Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,861,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I agree... it's crazy! When I was living in Greenville, I sometimes stayed at motels either at the airport exit or Hendersonville when competing at horse shows at the WNC Ag Center. No one ever questioned my residence being too close. It never occurred to me that it could be an issue.
I agree. There are many reasons a local might want to rent a room. When I evacuated during a hurricane warning in FL, I was on my way to a friend's home 100 miles north and never made it, so I checked into a Comfort Inn for the night. What bothered me is that they were gouging, but I was lucky to get the last room available before it started to pour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I say screw the hotels and give the money directly to the locals by staying in an Air BnB accommodation.
Hotels employ lots of people. Maybe they're not great paying jobs, but without hotels, motels and small inns, wouldn't many towns lose jobs?

By the way, I've used similar sites like VRBO/HomeAway for years and I usually have a good experience. So that's why I can't be a hypocrite and agree with you on a personal level, since the privately owned accommodations are often a lot nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 PM

8,082 posts, read 6,701,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree. There are many reasons a local might want to rent a room. When I evacuated during a hurricane warning in FL, I was on my way to a friend's home 100 miles north and never made it, so I checked into a Comfort Inn for the night. What bothered me is that they were gouging, but I was lucky to get the last room available before it started to pour.

Hotels employ lots of people. Maybe they're not great paying jobs, but without hotels, motels and small inns, wouldn't many towns lose jobs?

By the way, I've used similar sites like VRBO/HomeAway for years and I usually have a good experience. So that's why I can't be a hypocrite and agree with you on a personal level, since the privately owned accommodations are often a lot nicer.
I think that there is plenty of money, (tourists) to go around. Also AirBnB helps many middle class folks to live in Asheville. Anytime I can bypass corporations and keep my money in local hands I do so.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 AM

411 posts, read 610,583 times
Quilter Chick, I attempted to look up any applicable ordinances, but didn't find any. It appears that the definition of a "local" is up to the individual hotel.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:29 AM

279 posts, read 532,062 times
12 years ago, what is now the Downtown Inn was full of sex workers who had been displaced when a motel over at Lex and 240 (?) was torn down. Institutional memory.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:33 PM

22,609 posts, read 24,436,315 times
I got hit with the no-locals policy today.

Made reservations online, this morning, and got a pretty good rate for 3 days in a Quality Inn located in Spokane, Wa. So, I go to check-in at about 3pm, show my driver's-license, bam, she immediately tells me that I cannot stay there because the owner has a strict no-locals policy.

I really understand the policy. Dirtbags locals have a rep with motels, they want to go party and trash the local motels......so some motels have a blanket policy banning locals.

My big problem with what happened to me is, the motel in question that I made reservations with, had no sort of notice on any of the websites they advertise with outlining this policy...........a big PITA for me.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 15,532 times
Check the Best Western in Waynesville - "No local guests (within 50 miles) can be accepted."

Thank goodness a popular chain hotel in my area didn't have that policy when we had no water for several days and desperately needed a shower!

Old 07-27-2020, 05:47 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,791,121 times
I know this is an old post that was bumped up, but I wanted to say that sometimes it depends on the chain. When we moved back down to the Raleigh area from Canton, we had to get off our mountain 2 days before my dad had a neurologist appointment in Asheville, so we had to stay in the area. The reason we had to get off the mountain was because it was going to snow and getting down was difficult even if we weren't pulling a UHaul. Plus we were traveling with our 4 dogs and my dad was traveling with his dog and cat. So I called the Red Roof Inn and explained what and why and they welcomed us with open arms. It might not be the fanciest, but they allowed us and all those animals to spend a couple of nights there until I could get my dad to his appointment and then to Raleigh to our hotel there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina