Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:28 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times

Advertisements

As we all know taxes/fees hit us all differently depending, it's an individual thing. While OR may work for one of us it may be a crash and burn for the next gal/guy. Gotta do the math. But it is interesting to see where the Hollywood folks go when the phone stops ringing. ID is on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
True.

But the chamber of commerce puts up "Asheville... quality of life!" billboards, so it's all good.
Go figure.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
reed067 hope you will like Oregon, we loved our time there a great place! Be sure to buy some rain gear it gets ALOT of misty moisty days but doesn't slow Oregonians down at all. Learn to pronounce Willamette like they do Will am met not Will a met like easterners say it. Also state is pronounced Or a gun (short a sound) not Or a gone.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It's funny that you mention Oregon We have decided to move to a small town near Salem & the cost of living there is cheaper then here, even more so when you consider that there is NO sales taxes. Sure taxes are high there but they are here as well, for the work I do I can make two to three dollars an Hr. More then I can here. And guess what? No tourist. We can bike to most any where & still have the things that Asheville offers.
Yes but there's the whole Cascadia Subduction Zone discussion that is making the rounds. Reed what's your thoughts on that? I've got friends in Seattle and they don't seem too worried about it. They said they had been hearing about the "big one" since they were kids.

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Yes but there's the whole Cascadia Subduction Zone discussion that is making the rounds. Reed what's your thoughts on that? I've got friends in Seattle and they don't seem too worried about it. They said they had been hearing about the "big one" since they were kids.

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

No one lives forever if it does hit then guess my time it up. To be honest like your friends I see no reason to worry about it. When I lived in California I was never worried about it been in a couple when I was out there, I believe the last one I was in was 7.0 something. Pretty intense I admit. I'm more worried about the Bees disappearing then anything else. It might sound sort of lame but that scares me more.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
reed067 hope you will like Oregon, we loved our time there a great place! Be sure to buy some rain gear it gets ALOT of misty moisty days but doesn't slow Oregonians down at all. Learn to pronounce Willamette like they do Will am met not Will a met like easterners say it. Also state is pronounced Or a gun (short a sound) not Or a gone.

Was out there for a while loved the weather. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:57 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No one lives forever if it does hit then guess my time it up. To be honest like your friends I see no reason to worry about it. When I lived in California I was never worried about it been in a couple when I was out there, I believe the last one I was in was 7.0 something. Pretty intense I admit. I'm more worried about the Bees disappearing then anything else. It might sound sort of lame but that scares me more.
That seems to be the general consensus I've read too. I find the science behind the discussion really interesting though. But, I'm a little bit of a science nerd like that

I hear you about the bees, I finally saw 5 honey bees this summer after not having seen any for years.

In the interest of not hijacking this thread, to the OP to answer your question. It's all a matter of perspective. To some it probably is played out but to others probably a little slice of heaven .... me? I'm in the middle, some aspects of it I'm over but there's still lots to love.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:51 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
Played out or not I can think of alot, a whole lot, of worse places to be than the Asheville area!!

Old 08-09-2015, 12:19 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
If people from new york are moving there its played out.

But really the played out concept is all relative from where ur coming from

A resident from 20 years ago will find it disgustingly populated and someone from LA will think its wild and spacipus

When I was last there I met some friend's cousin who lives in brooklyn as a mural painter and just bought an asheville loft and was eying one in Europe.

So from a NC local perspective I would say it's played out as hell but from a "international/national city" jet-setter crowd it's new and fresh. *cough* californians *cough* new yorkers *cough*

Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
Thought I'd try to stir something up....so is Asheville "played-out"? Is it still the ultra cool, hip, new age, retro hipster uber neato place for all the special people to move to and live in, with the micro craft home brew companies building their massive new macro-production breweries? And all those kitchey cute shops in town.... Cost of living is high, jobs are scarce, pay is low, traffic is getting stooopid bad. Just wondering. Let the games begin.
Next time I'm downtown I'll check to see if there are any high end cupcake shops or haberdasher's specializing in fedoras.

I'm not sure Asheville can get "played-out" rather than just overpopulated. Unlike someplace like Williamsburg all sorts of people move here looking for their Mecca.

- Hipsters
- Hippies
- Nature Lovers
- Republicans
- Beer Snobs
- Mountain Music Snobs
- Street Kids
- Retired Folks
- Rich people buying a second or third home.
- Tea Party members believe it or not.
- Upper Middle Class people priced out of their cities.
- Southerners too liberal for their conservative towns.
- Northerners who want to pretend they are southerners (without actually being around folks that are too southern).

And so on.

One thing is for certain, the city wasn't ready for so much growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina