Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:44 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times

Advertisements

Suggest you explore the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area. 25 miles to Asheville, 35 miles to Greenville, SC. Hendersonville is a thriving area with lots of shopping compared to the other towns you listed. Additionally there are few to no empty store fronts in H'Ville like there are in the towns you listed.

Winter weather is better South of Highway 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 11:27 AM

78 posts, read 88,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Suggest you explore the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area. 25 miles to Asheville, 35 miles to Greenville, SC. Hendersonville is a thriving area with lots of shopping compared to the other towns you listed. Additionally there are few to no empty store fronts in H'Ville like there are in the towns you listed.

Winter weather is better South of Highway 40.
Thanks! Weaverville and Hendersonville are now my top two choices to check out from the info given by you guys and girls and from what I've seen online. I like the sound of Weaverville because its closer to Asheville and I like the sound of Hendersonville because its bigger and has better winter weather, which is a big plus.

So does anyone know much about Swannanoa and/or Old Fort? I've driven through Old Fort on the way to Mount Mitchell but didn't see that "charm" I was looking for. Just wondering if maybe I missed it.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:55 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgibson View Post
Thanks! Weaverville and Hendersonville are now my top two choices to check out from the info given by you guys and girls and from what I've seen online. I like the sound of Weaverville because its closer to Asheville and I like the sound of Hendersonville because its bigger and has better winter weather, which is a big plus.

So does anyone know much about Swannanoa and/or Old Fort? I've driven through Old Fort on the way to Mount Mitchell but didn't see that "charm" I was looking for. Just wondering if maybe I missed it.
Kind of surprised you haven't included Brevard among your options to look at and feel it's very much worthy a mention. It has charm in bucketfuls and is a great town overall.

Welcome to Heart of Brevard in Brevard, North Carolina

Old 08-14-2015, 06:52 PM

I have read a lot of good things about Brevard and it looks very nice on that website. For some reason when I initially looked into Brevard's location I thought it was further from Asheville than what it actually appears to be. In which case it is going on the list. Thanks for making me look twice.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Brevard is a cute nice town, but truly just one large/long intersection. Nice shops, a few restaurants etc. The problem (imo) with living in Brevard is its distance from 'things'. The town itself is smack up against the mountains to the west and going west/north/south out of Brevard is challenging to get anywhere that is not somewhat remote. Route 280 is the only route out of Brevard to get to Asheville (at least 50 miles); or Rt. 64 east (30 miles east) to get to downtown Hendersonville We didn't buy in Brevard for that reason, it's pretty much a retirement area than any of the towns on your list. Great access to the BRP through Pisgah Forest, and there are several waterfalls in that area. Transylvania County is referred to as a rain forest, and 'Land of the Waterfalls" -- you may want to keep that into consideration.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:19 AM

643 posts, read 670,461 times
An interesting little factoid that I learned since moving here......

Brevard (not the actual town but the area) has the highest average annual rainfall in NC

Asheville has the lowest average annual rainfall in NC

They are 35 miles apart! True stuff - watching UNC-TV, PBS show about NC and I learned all kinds of amazing things.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 AM

50 miles to Asheville ... That seems kind of far but it does look very nice. But that distance is definitely worth considering. I'd really like to keep Asheville within a 30 to 35 minute drive though it seems like Brevard is worth a trial.

And rainfall is also worth considering especially if it is far more than average. When I'm there I certainly must have my outdoor time.

Thanks again for the info! Keep it coming!

Old 08-15-2015, 04:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgibson View Post
50 miles to Asheville ... That seems kind of far but it does look very nice. But that distance is definitely worth considering. I'd really like to keep Asheville within a 30 to 35 minute drive though it seems like Brevard is worth a trial.

And rainfall is also worth considering especially if it is far more than average. When I'm there I certainly must have my outdoor time.

Thanks again for the info! Keep it coming!

Look at a road map. The only way out of Brevard is out Rt. 280 to I26 to Asheville. 280 is a good 20 mile jaunt from downtown Brevard to the interstate. Then to Asheville on I26 is nutty, the speed limit is 60 and every other car is doing 80 ... and that stretch is about 30 miles to downtown Avl. I live about halfway between Brevard downtown and Hendersonville downtown. 24 miles on that trek, on a two lane road with no passing and plenty of hills and curves. Nice place to visit, what can I say. For retirees it's doable, but not everyday, and add more mileage because people live in the outskirts of each, not downtown. Worth a few trial runs.

http://brevardnc.com/category/play/waterfalls/

Old 08-15-2015, 07:57 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Really not much in Old Fort and a bit out of convenient to Asheville. Swannanoa is mostly rural area but does have Warren Wilson College for activities and not terribly far to Asheville. Mars Hill is nice but small, small place does have a small college with a pretty campus. Rural area around town very attractive and easy trip on 26 to Asheville. Weaverville, my go to town, is really conveniet to Asheville and easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway via Reems Creek and Ox Creek Rd. beautiful scenery in those areas. The main street of town has charm and also several good restaurants, wine shop and a killer bakery and a nice library. In fact there is a vacation rental for sale at Ox Glen Vacation Rentals that is near the Parkway. Very nice place, I've known several people who have stayed there and liked it a lot. Can I say that?
Good luck with your search.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:09 AM

Thanks everyone. The drive from Brevard sounds scenic but if I'm going to rent the place out for a good bit of the year then proximity to Asheville or at least easy access is very important. I still want to check it out though for my own personal enjoyment.

And thanks tswm47. Your info is very useful. I'm glad to know Weaverville has easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was curious about Swannanoa because of how close it was to Asheville but haven't seen anyone on these forums talk about it or Old Fort. So my top two destinations right now are Weaverville and Hendersonville. I can't wait to check them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina