U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,211 times

Advertisements

Hey folks! I own some property up along the border of NC/TN in Mitchell County (Poplar area). For the last couple of years CCVN has been talking about running Fiber-Optic internet out to all reaches of the County, and sure enough they eventually have run the lines out here into the middle of nowhere :-) All that remains is for them to bring it from the telephone pole to my house, and then schedule an install.

Trouble is, that spool of fiber-optic cable has been sitting in my lawn for about 3 months teasing me and I can't get any timeline from CCVN. Any business has a timeline, and frankly I'm really wanting to cut loose from Dish internet ASAP, but would like to be in the loop a little bit more.

So, a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any access to the schedule of installations for certain designated areas or something that can give me an idea for their estimated time to completion? They're supposed to have been working on this since 2012 outfitting the whole county from a Government grant. I think they randomly throw out "Uh it'll be done in June." whenever I've asked the direct questions, which then changes to "Uh it'll be done in August, yeah..." once June rolls around.

2) For those with Fiber-Optic from CCVN already, what are you finding for speeds, latency, and are there any data caps that CCVN puts on (if so what are they?)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:18 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,487,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantDanny View Post
Hey folks! I own some property up along the border of NC/TN in Mitchell County (Poplar area). For the last couple of years CCVN has been talking about running Fiber-Optic internet out to all reaches of the County, and sure enough they eventually have run the lines out here into the middle of nowhere :-) All that remains is for them to bring it from the telephone pole to my house, and then schedule an install.

Trouble is, that spool of fiber-optic cable has been sitting in my lawn for about 3 months teasing me and I can't get any timeline from CCVN. Any business has a timeline, and frankly I'm really wanting to cut loose from Dish internet ASAP, but would like to be in the loop a little bit more.

So, a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any access to the schedule of installations for certain designated areas or something that can give me an idea for their estimated time to completion? They're supposed to have been working on this since 2012 outfitting the whole county from a Government grant. I think they randomly throw out "Uh it'll be done in June." whenever I've asked the direct questions, which then changes to "Uh it'll be done in August, yeah..." once June rolls around.

2) For those with Fiber-Optic from CCVN already, what are you finding for speeds, latency, and are there any data caps that CCVN puts on (if so what are they?)?
I have a vacation house in Yancey Co. and have been also awaiting getting fiber connected. I've been told my area is now iffy/delayed for fiber, and they are just hoping to get us to 25/1 speeds (from 3/.25). I've similarly heard different things from different reps.

I was most recently awaiting a call back from Teresa at CCVN, who told me she was going to ask an engineer for status, but I haven't heard back.

RUS projects like this one are notoriously challenged -- Politico had a piece on this last month. But, I'm not comfortable with the delays I'm seeing, either. If I can't get an answer, I was thinking about calling USDA's Rural Utility Services group and see what they know about the project. I probably should also check in with Rep. Meadows' office for status.

Interestingly, there's no new reports on the grant or loan filed at recovery.gov (this was partially stimulus-funded) since Dec. 2013.

If you're interested in working together on this, send me a DM. I'm concerned as well and would like to know more.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 PM

113 posts, read 196,887 times
We're in northwestern Yancey (also just shy of NC/TN) line and were moved to the fiber in the spring. We had a problem with the old coax line running to the house so when CCVN came out to fix, they just moved us to the new system as part of the fix. For the slower speeds (25 Mbps), they still use coax into the house. I'm using my old cable modem.

I don't know the install schedule, but I think they are focusing on areas that have no service first and then doubling back to move existing connections to the fiber. I guess we just got lucky that our stuff broke when it did.

As for performance, its quite good. Just did a speed test and got 21.96 down / 1.06 up. That's running through 10+ year-old WAP, router, and modem so I can't complain.

I think there is a 250GB/mo usage cap. Then a per GB charge after that. Our heavily-connected household of 5 hasn't hit the cap yet.

Good luck - hope you can get connected soon,
Opt-Out

Old 08-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Hell I'd kill for a constant 3/.25 right now to get off this satellite, but that isn't even offered here. Not even cell coverage lol

Bull, I'll shoot you a message tomorrow when I can think more clearly and we'll compare notes/put together a plan of attack - right now I gotta pass out for an early day, been a long one!

Old 05-18-2016, 10:46 AM

Status Update - They got internet connected at my place in January of this year, and after about 5 months I haven't had a single outage. I'm on the 50mbps plan with about a 1-10ms latency. It's great!

That being said, their communication needs some work on the administrative side - but at least everything works! Because of the communication issues, you basically just need to hound them weekly, by phone, email, contact forms, whatever and they'll basically give the grease to the squeakiest gear. There was no real notice that they were going to turn anything on, they basically just called out of the blue and setup the install with about 2 weeks notice.

So my only advice is just hound them.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:18 PM

32 posts, read 61,135 times
I bought my place in Bakersville almost 2 years ago. Before closing on it, I checked with country cable vision on the status of the fiber optic cable to my house. They promised it would be there before closing. Well here it is almost 2 years later and I have NO internet. There is no cable internet in my area at all. I keep calling and they say they don't know when they will be here. I thought the purpose of the grant they got was to provide internet to those of us who had NO internet, not to upgrade people who had regular cable to fiber optic.
Anyone know what I can do?
Anyone else out there with the same issue?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:36 AM

118 posts, read 238,625 times
I live just east of Burnsville; took me about 4-5 months after moving here for CCVN to get up my hollar and wire me up. I have their "Gold" internet package, and to give them credit: It is fast and pretty reliable. Cost's me about 90 a month for internet alone. Cable packages will add on to that.......

But let's be clear: CCVN is NOT a giant like Charter. (Who is now also moving into the area.) They are actually a pretty small operation based in Pensacola; who happened to get a very large grant. But because they're so small, I don't think they can keep up with demand. They only have a couple customer service reps on duty at any given time........ I suppose I'm fortunate. I keep hearing all these stories about many in Mitchell and Yancey who've been promised internet for a long time and have yet to see it......

Old 05-30-2017, 01:27 PM

4,455 posts, read 8,733,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrib View Post
I bought my place in Bakersville almost 2 years ago. Before closing on it, I checked with country cable vision on the status of the fiber optic cable to my house. They promised it would be there before closing. Well here it is almost 2 years later and I have NO internet. There is no cable internet in my area at all. I keep calling and they say they don't know when they will be here. I thought the purpose of the grant they got was to provide internet to those of us who had NO internet, not to upgrade people who had regular cable to fiber optic.
Anyone know what I can do?
Anyone else out there with the same issue?
I have no idea if this company has service in your actual address area, but they are worth a look and a call...
We use them, they are OK if pricey, and we experience some brief outages/resets with some frequency.

We too have no cable and there
is only one other small one man band operation available to us, besides the company linked below.
Oh, and sort of 4G on the smartphone, but other than cursory views on the Net, that isn't our or most remote viewing choice.
GL, mD

https://skyrunner.net/residential/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina