Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:38 PM

16 posts, read 22,705 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We are very happy to be moving to NC in a couple of weeks. I've heard it can be expensive to register your vehicles here. Can anyone give me an idea of how much this costs (ballpark)? Just want to be prepared for it. Also, how soon do we have to register/change tags? I read somewhere that said 60 days and somewhere else it said 30 days.

Thanks in advance!

MP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ering-car.html

Old 09-08-2015, 05:27 AM

161 posts, read 237,595 times
Does NC require yearly vehicle inspections? I was just there a month ago and didn't notice any inspection stickers on windshields.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalsh317 View Post
Does NC require yearly vehicle inspections? I was just there a month ago and didn't notice any inspection stickers on windshields.

We don't have inspection 'stickers' in NC. When your vehicle is inspected, the report goes directly to the DMV in Raleigh; and you cannot register your vehicle without proof of inspection.

The thing that gripes many of us is that there is no emissions inspection required which is ridiculous, you are bound to be following a smoking pickup at some point. e.g., The other day I was going down Rt. 64 from Brevard to Hendersonville (a 2 lane no-passing very long road) and I was behind a big time smoker pickup so I slowed down to let him get far ahead of me. The guy behind me was riding my bumper because I slowed down. Well, I pulled over and waited for 'clear air' -- the bumper rider was welcome to get a snout full of pollution, and he did.

You might want to take a look at the NC DMV website.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:57 AM

161 posts, read 237,595 times
Thanks.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 AM

497 posts, read 968,923 times
There are 48 counties that require emissions vehicle testing as part of an inspection. The 48 North Carolina states that require emissions testing are: Alamance, Brunswick, Buncombe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Carteret, Catawba, Chatham, Cleveland, Craven, Cumberland, Davidson, Durham, Edgecombe, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Granville, Guilford, Harnett, Haywood, Henderson, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lenoir, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Moore, Nash, New Hanover, Onslow, Orange, Pitt, Randolph, Robeson, Rockingham, Rowan, Rutherford, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Wake, Wayne, Wilkes, Wilson and Union.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 AM

395 posts, read 462,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
There are 48 counties that require emissions vehicle testing as part of an inspection. The 48 North Carolina states that require emissions testing are: Alamance, Brunswick, Buncombe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Carteret, Catawba, Chatham, Cleveland, Craven, Cumberland, Davidson, Durham, Edgecombe, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Granville, Guilford, Harnett, Haywood, Henderson, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lenoir, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Moore, Nash, New Hanover, Onslow, Orange, Pitt, Randolph, Robeson, Rockingham, Rowan, Rutherford, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Wake, Wayne, Wilkes, Wilson and Union.
There must be an exemption for old vehicles and trucks or something because there are plenty being driven that would never pass an emissions inspection. The situation QC found herself in on 64 happens more often than should be allowed. I also find that many school buses aren't having the diesel filters changed often enough and are therefore puffing horrid black fumes. How ironic it is that the buses carrying the generation that is inheriting the planet are some of the worst vehicular pollution offenders around Henderson and Buncombe county!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
There must be an exemption for old vehicles and trucks or something because there are plenty being driven that would never pass an emissions inspection. The situation QC found herself in on 64 happens more often than should be allowed. I also find that many school buses aren't having the diesel filters changed often enough and are therefore puffing horrid black fumes. How ironic it is that the buses carrying the generation that is inheriting the planet are some of the worst vehicular pollution offenders around Henderson and Buncombe county!
!995 year model vehicles and older are exempt from emissions testing.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
!995 year model vehicles and older are exempt from emissions testing.

Seems "upside down" -- '95 and older. D'oh !

Old 09-09-2015, 03:01 PM

159 posts, read 183,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Seems "upside down" -- '95 and older. D'oh !
The "emissions testing" is done by hooking your OBD II connecter up to the computer; there are no tailpipe emission inspections as such. Cars and trucks older than '95 typically don't have those connecters so they can't be tested by that method.

I discovered last year that "replica" cars are registered as the year vehicle that they're supposed to replicate. My '07 Caterham is not required to be inspected ever because it's registered as a '57 Lotus 7. Life is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina