Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 01:20 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,559,721 times

Advertisements

Gee, I haven't tossed up any photos in a couple weeks. I must be slacking...
A trio from a weekish ago: the usual view from our deck, but the late sunset light, (the golden hour which really often lasts about 10 min or less), was spectacular.

The layering and low middle frame section light was very different and made for a couple three lucky shots.

Different evenings, but all were right around the time when the really hot weather was breaking, and the daily storm was either rolling in, or had just departed.
Thanks for looking!
GL, mD

For the photographers, Canon G16, (my new semi-pocket cam as my big Canon 40D has some serious spots on lens/and or sensor), at f8, 1/60th handheld, ISO 100. Cleaned up a bit in Adobe Lightroom version 5.7.1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,380,271 times
MotorDavid, have you ever considered selling some of your photos in local galleries?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:19 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,454,626 times
Flying Cloud Farm:

Old 07-12-2015, 02:31 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,539,217 times
Love all the pictures!
Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Thank you all, for the props, kind words and views.

ShootingStars: the gallery deal is not easy and is little profit.
My CEO has had her art quilt and fiber art work in some big name/busy galleries around western NC, for several years.
She sells a lot of 'commercial' artsyfartsy stuff, esp 'mtn/nature' scenes and designs, and does a few big time/big buck commissions each year.

She wins regional awards, (Asheville Quilt Show), national juried shows, and a few international shows. My point is she is very talented and works at it, yet aside from the $3G-$5G each commission work, she makes peanuts literally, from the galleries that move a considerable quantity of her work. It is more like an avocation that sort of pays for the materials.

Same, or worse for photography... By the time one sends an enhanced/adjusted 'great shot' to the custom lab, and has a dozen prints done, mounted or mounted & matted, and finds a gallery that will take on photo art, (usually on consignment), and then that gallery takes the usual 40-60% of the sale, that photo that cost the photographer $25 in materials alone, may net the shooter $20-$25 if lucky. One has to move a bunch of $25 sales 'things' to make it more than a hobby.

I sell my large size prints at our country club 'members art show' every season, and am glad and proud that friends would want them in their homes, but I sell them at basically my cost of materials, with zero 'talent' or time factored in.

Photo biz is very difficult these days, esp for large size, (16x20 through 3x4+ ft and larger), and it too is simply an avocation...

Those racks of interesting photos, often flush mounted, sometimes matted, for sale in the gallery racks for $10-$20 are seldom even break even to the photographer, after gallery commish.

Everyone on the planet with a smart phone is a 'photographer', and I have no quibble with that. But serious, well composed, well 'adjusted' RAW or jpeg digital photos, when printed/matted/framed, are a considerable cost, and much more time consuming and 'good eye' driven than a snap with a smart phone or pocket cam.

I do Giclee photos on canvas in 3' x 5'+ sizes for wall hangings in our homes, and for friends at my cost.

Just glad and proud someone likes them enough to do that, but knowing what my wife goes through with the 'gallery dance', I will take a Pasadena on that aspect.
Best Regards,
David

Couple examples of large format Giclee ink jet photo printing:

A wide angle shot of a formal living room/grand piano room/stuff room, we have in our Mtn home, with a few large format photos on left wall:

A Mtn scene view from our deck, that hangs on a lanai wall, at our FL Winter hideout home, to remind me of 'the mountains':

Last edited by motordavid; 07-13-2015 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 PM

I've bought some small photos on Etsy - inexpensive, but not mounted or framed. I wonder how those photographers are doing.

It's very nice of you to give your friends a price break.

F.Y.I., I'm breaking into your house over the weekend to steal all your mineral specimens. Do you think you could manage to be out of the house?

Old 07-20-2015, 11:40 PM

188 posts, read 250,794 times
Hello guys and gals: My wife and I have decided that we have had enough of Houston, Texas traffic and 97 degree heat, and plan to retire in about 3-4 years to head to the mountains of NC. We are interested in a home at or above 3000 feet without the crowds and bustle of the tourist towns. I was interested in Boone for awhile until I heard that traffic is brutal. Since I may do some substitute teaching work, and my wife may work just fiddling somewhere, we are not too bothered about job markets and employment needs. I just want to sip coffee on a patio, look at mountains, and give MD a run for his money on that camera...
Can you give us some heads up for places to look at as we "shop" for spots? Thanks. Wes

Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 PM

We had an above average rainbow last eve, during the daily soaker...
Not the best I have seen/shot, but very bright. And, a post rainbow sunset horizon view more east/northeast, from our deck.
Thanks for looking!
GL, mD

The vertical 'Bow dissipated and a horizontal 'Bow showed up:

Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,458,290 times
Stunning ! beautiful shots David.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:47 PM

Fantastic. I give them three thumbs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina