Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times

Advertisements

The times are what they are, the price is what it is, pay it or not, or make an offer, if it's not accepted, move on. Property is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 AM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
The times are what they are, the price is what it is, pay it or not, or make an offer, if it's not accepted, move on. Property is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I've been trying to get a property ready for sale and have been following prices for about two yrs now. In the Edneyville, Bat Cave area you two yrs ago could have found a small 1,000 sq ft house 2 or 3 bedroom with 1 bath for $90,000.00 or less. Today $125,000.00 range.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
There is no doubt that the influx of folks from outside the area is pushing prices up. After all they sell their 1,200 sq ft. brownstone for $650,000.00 and move here and buy a nice house for $300,000.00 along with two new cars and still have money left. Oh and their property taxes are only $1,500.00 not $10,000.00.
Then again as just has been mentioned many of the locals are cashing in where many of the new developments are popping up. Selling the land given to them for millions and making more in one sale then their parents or grandparents ever made farming the property.
Am old timer back yrs ago explained that many of these locals either bought their land for pennies per acre or acquired it for free to farm after WWII. So it's all relevant. He said his grandparents just acquired the land for nothing in the 40's thru some government programs then every few yrs purchased more. I know for a fact many of the improvements still done today on these properties is thru government grants.
My point exactly. It's on both ends so to put blame solely on transplants is incorrect.

And to say that the cost of living is out of control due to an influx of outsiders is incorrect too. We have a family of five that for the most part, except for healthcare, have seen minimal increases of living costs over the last five years or more while property values were increasing 30% - 50%. Taxes and meat go up, fuel and produce go down. You get a cost of living raise at work and apply it towards your retirement or use it for something else. If you're a financially responsible citizen, it all works it's way out in the end.

As a family we practically spend the same amount now per month that we did years ago, so I don't get the argument. Property taxes, food, utilities and more may gradually increase over time, but let's be honest, it's not an amount that leaves you starving at the end of the day if you plan things out. Now we could live outside of our means (constantly eating out, overspending, no financial control) then blame our troubles on someone down the road purchasing their home, but in reality their home purchase has no effect on the price of eggs and milk at Aldi's or how we adjust our personal budget as needs fluctuate.

My point is that over time you have to prioritize, risk assess and plan accordingly. No blame game here ...

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 07-16-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 02:23 PM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
My point exactly. It's on both ends so to put blame solely on transplants is incorrect.

And to say that the cost of living is out of control due to an influx of outsiders is incorrect too. We have a family of five that for the most part, except for healthcare, have seen minimal increases of living costs over the last five years or more while property values were increasing 30% - 50%. Taxes and meat go up, fuel and produce go down. You get a cost of living raise at work and apply it towards your 401k or use it towards something else. If you're a financially responsible citizen, it all works it's way out in the end.

As a family we practically spend the same amount now per month that we did years ago, so I don't get the argument. Property taxes, food, utilities and more may gradually increase over time, but let's be honest, it's not an amount that leaves you starving at the end of the day if you plan accordingly. Now we could live outside of our means (constantly eating out, overspending, no financial control) then blame our troubles on someone down the road purchasing their home, but in reality their home purchase has no effect on the price of eggs and milk at Aldi's or how we adjust our personal budget as our needs fluctuate.

My point is that over time you have to prioritize, risk assess and plan accordingly. No blame game here ...
Well said!
I have no cable, a cheap no frills cell phone, no house phone, I have one of the cheapest internet services available and use that very little. I'm looking into using my cell service (mobile hot spot) and even eliminate my home internet if it's cheaper. My TV is at least 6-8 yrs old and bought it used, My stereo is 25 yrs old and still sounds awesome. My cars last 250,000+ miles. I've been out to eat twice this yr and once only had coffee and an appetizer.
Life is what ya make it and what ya want and very few can have it all. Prioritize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina