Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:58 PM

211 posts, read 422,373 times

Advertisements

Craigcreek:

I appreciate your commentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 743 times
Cashiers is the "quiet" money where senators, athletes and billionaires live behind hedges and gates and drive pickups. Highlands is "in your face" money that's displayed proudly and whose reputation is fiercely defended, especially when being compared to Cashiers (see above). Both are great places to be...it depends on whether you prefer a low profile lifestyle or need to keep up with the Joneses.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:07 PM

6,556 posts, read 4,174,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sean View Post
Cashiers is the "quiet" money where senators, athletes and billionaires live behind hedges and gates and drive pickups. Highlands is "in your face" money that's displayed proudly and whose reputation is fiercely defended, especially when being compared to Cashiers (see above). Both are great places to be...it depends on whether you prefer a low profile lifestyle or need to keep up with the Joneses.
I agree with the basic sentiment of this. We have been visiting both of these for 30+ years. Have always found Highlands somewhat pretentious. Cashiers is definitely more laid back, but much smaller. You really don't have to choose as they are close to each other.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 649 times
I'm retired and spend about 7 months of the year in what is known as Whiteside Cove between Highlands and Cashiers. I have be coming to this area since the late 50's as a child, matriculated to Wofford College where we spent an inordinate amount of time camping and hiking in the NF of the area and now have the good fortune to spend most of my time up in them mountains. Having travelled to Swiss Alps, Canadian Rockies and other ranges I think the scenery in this area is unrivaled. As far as which of the two towns are best it really doesn't matter as they are so close to each other you can enjoy both during your stay. If your vacation rental preference is a towards a cottage where you can easily walk to dinner or shops then Highlands will probably be best. If you want a gated community with golf, tennis, views, pool, lake etc then Cashiers will probably be more to your liking ( Trillium and Sapphire Valley are two such communities but your out of luck on High Hampton as it is presently closed undergoing major renovations. Also keep in mind that the months of June thru August are the peak season and as such more crowded.) I would get online and look at past issues of The Laurel Magazine for the months you are considering as it contains a great calendar of events for each month that vary little from year to year. There are also many good articles on where to eat, shop and play. In closing you can't go wrong with either. I would recommend you go one Friday night to Groovin on the Green in Cashiers which is a outdoor venue with live music and Wednesday evening to The Ugly Dog in Highlands for live bluegrass. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM

6,556 posts, read 4,174,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltysoutherner View Post
I'm retired and spend about 7 months of the year in what is known as Whiteside Cove between Highlands and Cashiers. I have be coming to this area since the late 50's as a child, matriculated to Wofford College where we spent an inordinate amount of time camping and hiking in the NF of the area and now have the good fortune to spend most of my time up in them mountains. Having travelled to Swiss Alps, Canadian Rockies and other ranges I think the scenery in this area is unrivaled. As far as which of the two towns are best it really doesn't matter as they are so close to each other you can enjoy both during your stay. If your vacation rental preference is a towards a cottage where you can easily walk to dinner or shops then Highlands will probably be best. If you want a gated community with golf, tennis, views, pool, lake etc then Cashiers will probably be more to your liking ( Trillium and Sapphire Valley are two such communities but your out of luck on High Hampton as it is presently closed undergoing major renovations. Also keep in mind that the months of June thru August are the peak season and as such more crowded.) I would get online and look at past issues of The Laurel Magazine for the months you are considering as it contains a great calendar of events for each month that vary little from year to year. There are also many good articles on where to eat, shop and play. In closing you can't go wrong with either. I would recommend you go one Friday night to Groovin on the Green in Cashiers which is a outdoor venue with live music and Wednesday evening to The Ugly Dog in Highlands for live bluegrass. Hope you enjoy your visit!
We have also travelled to the places you mentioned as well as others known for their natural beauty. I agree the scenery in this area (I will include most of western NC) is certainly some of the most beautiful in the U.S. Places, such as Sedona, Coeur d' Alene, ID, CO mountains, and Alaska are also beautiful in their own right. Highlands/Cashiers is a very special area. We seriously considered it for retirement; it's just too isolated. I still remember the first time we 'discovered' Highlands. We love to take driving trips and just happened to take a road that led into Highlands. Typically, people set out to go to Highlands, they don't just happen to find themselves there. What a find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina