Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:49 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Listing of the pro/cons of an area really doesn't have anything to do with someone being overly cautious. If you've been here for any length of time you'll find that it's practically the opposite of it.

Besides the OP has been here "many times" already so they should already most of the pros/cons that are evident from spending time here.

So everything I've said before holds true as well as many other posters are often posting (in many forums, not just NC) about "never moving without a job".

It's a matter of degree. Anything that goes on here no matter how perfectly objective you try to make it is going to have a slight bias. I think you're just to accustomed to dealing with boosters and homers that you don't know what to think when someone isn't.
Not sure what all that means, but I'm perfectly capable of discerning the difference between boosterism and reality, thanks. You might notice my response to the OP was pretty measured and offered a dose of realism.

I just think its a bit odd for someone who doesn't like living in a place to encourage other people to move to that place. Especially when you slam others for sounding bitter, when you seem to fit that category. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, just seems strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm perfectly capable of discerning the difference between boosterism and reality, thanks.
Was I talking to you? I don't think so. Do you automatically think all comments made by all people are speaking directly to you?

Quote:
You might notice my response to the OP was pretty measured and offered a dose of realism.
What response? That it's a tough job market when the OP already knew that? Rehashing the too safe advise parroted by so many of not moving without a job? Listing a price range that was somewhat realistic and could easily be looked up by the OP?

Quote:
I just think its a bit odd for someone who doesn't like living in a place to encourage other people to move to that place. Especially when you slam others for sounding bitter, when you seem to fit that category. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, just seems strange.
When did I say I didn't like living here and for that matter when did I ever encourage anyone to move here?

You do realize just because someone likes/dislikes something doesn't mean they lack the ability to see how it might work for someone else. After all the OP is talking about coming from Knoxville. Not exactly a cultural shock or a massive size discrepancy.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:11 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Was I talking to you? I don't think so. Do you automatically think all comments made by all people are speaking directly to you?
Umm, yes you were. You responded directly to me in post #10. WTF are you talking about?

Quote:
What response? That it's a tough job market when the OP already knew that? Rehashing the too safe advise parroted by so many of not moving without a job? Listing a price range that was somewhat realistic and could easily be looked up by the OP?
Yes, thats the one. I didn't tell the OP A'ville was the land of milk and honey, nor did I tell him it would be a huge mistake to move there.

Quote:
When did I say I didn't like living here and for that matter when did I ever encourage anyone to move here?
That would have been when you said moving here was a mistake.

Quote:
and for that matter when did I ever encourage anyone to move here?
When you said "Really all you need at 24 is the will to try and an exit strategy..."

Old 11-03-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Umm, yes you were. You responded directly to me in post #10. WTF are you talking about?
You need to reread that post.

Quote:
That would have been when you said moving here was a mistake.
From my perspective...from PORTLAND. Not Knoxville or Memphis as the OP's experience would be. That's a world of difference.

You do realize the word mistake isn't merely a different spelling of the word dislike, yeah?

Quote:
When you said "Really all you need at 24 is the will to try and an exit strategy..."
That applies to anywhere, not just Asheville. And more to the point it was more about being young(ish) and not leaving yourself with regrets.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,381 times
Another post has recommended Chattanooga and I second his opinion. I am from Raleigh, lived in Asheville for 2 years and now live in Chattanooga.

Smart move on your part, I wouldn't move to either one in hopes of finding a dream career unless it's been found. I work in software development and can work from home, but my wife is a nurse. Upon graduation, she had a friend at the hospital in Asheville and she got a job through her. She hated working in Asheville, said it was very much like a good ole boy network and the people were rude. She met a hospital vendor through the position in Asheville that recommended her for a job in Chattanooga and she got it, hence the move. Point in both instances, she knew someone to get a job.

Moving to Asheville is really moving to Western North Carolina. I will admit, the mountains around Asheville are breath-taking, convenience to Charlotte is a perk and with I-40 you can be to the coast with relative ease in a few hours. Plus, sorry TN but as nice as Ruby Falls is, it can't compete with the great waterfalls of WNC. However, traffic is horrible in Asheville. It's a land-locked city and can't build the necessary road system to alleviate traffic off Broadway. Chattanooga is on the edge of the mountains and has built major highways along with 4 and 6 lane roads to accommodate traffic flow; in addition, Atlanta is an easy day trip if you need to get to big city.

Chattanooga, is an amazing outdoor town. The river cuts through city offering lake activities - I am in a kayak club and we go out pretty much year-round - as well as outdoor mountain activities. Hiking is minutes away and there are numerous bike trails. The terrain is comparable, but Asheville is at a higher elevation.

Both towns are touristy; however, Chattanooga is growing and attracting new companies. Marketing and advertising would be a good career here. Asheville takes a lot of pride in their trendy shops, but Chattanooga is beginning to make headway in that area. The business community has done wonders in the downtown transformation; several trendy shops have popped up and as the area grows - Chattanooga was second in growth percentage in TN last year - more retail will come to the area.

Asheville is very expensive. In the summer, the Floridians flock to the mountains and have bought up a good portion of real estate, running up the prices. Chattanooga home prices are really affordable. My house is on a ridge and the view is breathtaking. To live in the city limits of Asheville and have a breath-taking view without another building in the way will cost a fortune.

One last point, TN doesn't have a state income tax while NC has never seen a tax they didn't like. Our sales tax is high, but Asheville is isn't much lower. They don't tax food which is a perk, but on the toys you buy it will be around 7%.

Didn't mean to type this much; good luck in your decision.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW82 View Post
Another post has recommended Chattanooga and I second his opinion. I am from Raleigh, lived in Asheville for 2 years and now live in Chattanooga.
FWIW a guy I grew up with a guy who just visited Chattanooga this past year for work and he liked it. Previously he was living in Seattle. Said he really liked the library's extras. So it must have something going for it if it passes a former Seattleite's bar. He's in CA now and isn't a fan. Misses the fall colors and hates that even at double his last salary he still can't really afford to live there (and give his kids the quality of life he had at a fraction of the price in the Midwest).

Anyway, I believe that city is known for having a citywide fast internet connection, lots of pretty vistas, and a better COL than Asheville. But it also seemed like for the good start the city has gotten underway the locals seemed to think they were finished sprucing things up. Comparable size wise to Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina