Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:36 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

I was glad to read your post today, Jan - Zen master indeed!

Guess I felt a little physcially low and lost sight of how fortunate I am and have been - I was feeling anxiety because there is a house here in Florida that hubby and I have our hearts SET on, but we have to sell the Asheville house first - isn't that ironic? I keep telling myself that if we don't get it there will be a good reason that is unknown at this time, but it is SO hard because I have never wanted a house as much as this one. It's because it is not only the house we love, but the STREET and the entire neighborhood which is my favorite spot in this whole town!

Ah well, as I said I am happy and oh so grateful to God for what He has done for us so far - we are truly blessed. Our little house in Asheville has been a great joy, and we love it too. If hubby didn't have at least ten more years to go before retirement we would have kept it, but right now, it's just not feasible, he doesn't get much time off for us to get up there - guess we should have realized that.

I love reading these posts, so many great people up there - wish I could meet you all!

~gypsy~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,127 times
That is great! So happy for you! We are waiting to hear from a potential buyer on a counter offer for our house here in the Tampa area. It has been a year since we first had it on the market and this is the FIRST offer we have received. We are soooo reduced now but of course we bought at a ridiculously inflated price in 2005. Hope to be up that way be early spring! Congrats to you again.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:14 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Guess I felt a little physcially low and lost sight of how fortunate I am and have been - I was feeling anxiety because there is a house here in Florida that hubby and I have our hearts SET on, but we have to sell the Asheville house first - isn't that ironic? I keep telling myself that if we don't get it there will be a good reason that is unknown at this time, but it is SO hard because I have never wanted a house as much as this one. It's because it is not only the house we love, but the STREET and the entire neighborhood which is my favorite spot in this whole town!. . . .
~gypsy~
gypsychic, I certainly hope you get that house you love in FL, yet I know from hard personal experience how easily emotion can torque perception. I was just as excited as you last year about a house in Weaverville we ultimately decided against. NOW we believe in angels, especially that one that came between us and that house! At the time we thought it was the be-all and end-all, the purr-fect house for us! Geesh, it wasn't even in the right community for us! Not even close! So sometimes time really is our friend....

On the other hand, if this one IS the purr-fect house in the purr-fect community for you, then I believe your angels are hovering over it right now!!

We will keep you in our prayers.

Jan

Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
That is great! So happy for you! We are waiting to hear from a potential buyer on a counter offer for our house here in the Tampa area. It has been a year since we first had it on the market and this is the FIRST offer we have received. We are soooo reduced now but of course we bought at a ridiculously inflated price in 2005. Hope to be up that way be early spring! Congrats to you again.
Thanks, willbo! This is our first real offer, too. We had a few nibbles from investors trying to "steal" the house from us--I didn't even tell you folks about them or our counter-offers because they really weren't credible buyers. People like that throw out offers to six homeowners at once, looking for the best "deal," and maybe at the end of the day purchase nothing--while six homeowners are holding their breath.

The buyer we're working with now is our first legitimate buyer, after a year. I hope yours is, too. Best of luck to you!!! You know we'll be thinking of you....

Jan

Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
gypsychic, I certainly hope you get that house you love in FL, yet I know from hard personal experience how easily emotion can torque perception. I was just as excited as you last year about a house in Weaverville we ultimately decided against. NOW we believe in angels, especially that one that came between us and that house! At the time we thought it was the be-all and end-all, the purr-fect house for us! Geesh, it wasn't even in the right community for us! Not even close! So sometimes time really is our friend....

On the other hand, if this one IS the purr-fect house in the purr-fect community for you, then I believe your angels are hovering over it right now!!

We will keep you in our prayers.

Jan
Ohhh, THANK YOU, Jan - that made me feel so good to read that! You are a special person, and I can't wait to celebrate with you when you close on your house, even if it's only on this board!

You are right, if this one is meant for us, we will have it! And now, I release it - what will be will be!

I can't wait to see what house YOU end up with and where - do you think you will choose Black Mountain?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM

Probably Black Mountain. But we have some serious work to do before we decide. We have been waiting until our house sold, and now we're waiting to make sure it's firm before we fall in love with a house here--YOU know all about that!!

"Release"... what a lovely word!

Jan

Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Probably Black Mountain. But we have some serious work to do before we decide. We have been waiting until our house sold, and now we're waiting to make sure it's firm before we fall in love with a house here--YOU know all about that!!

"Release"... what a lovely word!

Jan
Black Mountain is nice....I lived there for several years and while it's not likely I would move back there now that I'm in Asheville, it's a nice area. Being that I'm still fairly young, still enjoy being close to downtown and everything else, and working in Asheville, it's important to me to live in the city proper if possible. In your case though, I think you'll enjoy Black Mountain.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
Black Mountain is nice....I lived there for several years and while it's not likely I would move back there now that I'm in Asheville, it's a nice area. Being that I'm still fairly young, still enjoy being close to downtown and everything else, and working in Asheville, it's important to me to live in the city proper if possible. In your case though, I think you'll enjoy Black Mountain.
Thank you, Zooropa, for understanding and helping us to clarify our perspective. Age, health, activity level, employment--these things matter when choosing a place to settle into. I can give you just one bright and shining example: I'm a musician, love music, so am thrilled that I suddenly (just months ago) live in an area that's teeming with music. So I constantly read about all the great musical opportunities in downtown Asheville, and I get totally jazzed! I can't wait to hear this group and that group.... I actually picture myself sitting at a table with Bill, having a glass of wine, both of us grinning from earlobe to earlobe, while some Celtic or bluegrass or old-time or whatever group begins to play... and the room lights up and I'm in musical nirvana.....

Except for one thing. OOPS. Most of these Asheville musical groups start playing at, like, 9:00 P.M. Hate to admit it, but fact is... we don't DO night life any more. After 9:00 P.M., we prefer jammies and screen therapy. (I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but it's true.)

So YES. It's important for you to live in the city proper. And it's important for us to live in Black Mountain. I think you're right about that. And I think we're going to enjoy living in Black Mountain as much as you enjoy living in Asheville!!

"To every thing there is a season".......

Thanks again, Zooropa.

JAN

Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM

92 posts, read 479,914 times
Quote:
After 9:00 P.M., we prefer jammies and screen therapy. (I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but it's true.)

The real question is whether that "screen" therapy refers to some device with moving images on it or if it's the bug-stopping kind on the back porch.....

Maybe you could put the first one out on the second one and do both!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 PM

LOL!! The idea actually appeals to me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina