Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:21 PM

204 posts, read 420,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt-Out View Post
Look into Yancey or Mitchell Counties (we live in Yancey).

For arts there's the Toe River Arts Council and the Penland school.
Burnsville hosts an annual crafts fair (Mount Mitchell Crafts Fair) that has a large regional draw.

We've had kids in public elementary, middle, and high schools. These are good, safe, and supportive schools with tons of community involvement. I'm pretty sure that Mayland Community College has a nursing program.

With your husband's skill set, I'd think you could find something that needed some work / updating in your price range.
That's pretty much what we did.

Good luck,
Opt-Out
great news on the schools. Thank you for responding, we are planning a trip down after the holidays. Our house is pretty wild right now with 4 kids all looking forward to Santa's visit! Ill check into Mayland Community College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
But that's just it. Why ask the same questions that have already been asked... over and over and over. Why hope that someone will take the time to answer the repeated question yet again when the question has already been answered... over and over and over.

So you don't want to take the time to review the past posts, yet you get annoyed when someone who has already given a lot of time to answer many questions on here, suggests to read past posts. You think it is okay to ask for an answer to a question that has already been asked and answered dozens of times just because you don't want to take the time to look through previous answers? Sounds like you feel entitled.
Its not that I don't want to review, I thought I was asking different questions this time around, mostly about the community college and schools. Entitled? get a life

Old 12-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I always feel as if I'm an outcast because there is just one city-data forum for WNC and it mainly covers Asheville and Hendersonville. Since WNC covers a vast area, I understand why it's difficult for someone to recommend any one town. Murphy is as different from Franklin as Franklin is from Hendersonville and there are many towns in-between.

I'm not near Asheville, but Franklin has a quaint downtown area and there's enough shopping, although limited. (there's always the internet!) Southwestern Community College has a nursing program. There are areas surrounding the city, but still in Macon County, where you can buy unrestricted land for a reasonable price. Cowee Valley and Burningtown are areas with land for sale. However, I'm not sure if you can make a living around here. Life always has its compromises, i.e., Waynesville has more to offer, but it's a little more expensive.

IMO, it's best to look at real estate/land listings in each town, focus on one area and then start searching for threads on those areas as suggested in another post. Good luck in your search!
THank you I agree about most of the posts covering Ashville, I am in NO way interested in that area. We plan to check with the real estate listings in each area. Just hoping to narrow our search a bit since we don't have the luxury of visiting often with our busy lives. I appreciate your response. THANKS!

Old 12-18-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Clayton is a sweet town. So is Toccoa, a teensy bit larger. Want to be in the GA mountains, there is also Elijay (awesome views), Young Harris (a bit isolated but pretty), and that general area. Right over the border in NC you will find Brasstown, a whistle stop intersection, gorgeous views, peaceful. Franklin, meh. Waynesville is where you will find a combination of all the above.
Interesting, we have looked in GA may be worth a closer look I think. Might be less expensive thanks! Lots of great ideas on here and some new ones at that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina