Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,151 times

Advertisements

has any one herd anymore on the highway for nuclear waste going through murphy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Last I heard, a bunch of people got together and were trying to stop the trucks, but I don't know if they did. Burns me up about nuclear waste. Bothers me that it's transported out of states and thru other ones. I'm of the mind each state should keep its own waste, and if they don't have a good place to bury it, they shouldn't have built their facilities to begin with. Somehow they give a lot of money to towns who okay such a landfill, but what about the people on the roadways and near them, that the stuff goes through to get there?

I'm also of the mind that if you make something that is to be thrown away, that won't decay on its own within ten years or can't burn off clean or be recycled, then don't make it. That might be tough on the much-needed disposable diapers and plastic stuff, but it CAN be done. At the moment, the big turmoil over us having to import so much oil now, is leading the government to rubber stamp nuclear plants, as a better alternative than none.

But when the Three-Mile Island incident took place, and Chernobyl too, THAT'S when all the money put into those reactors should have been put into other power resources, or at least improving nuclear technology to a cleaner form, the fission versus fusion thing.

Gosh, I could go on and on. Well, SOME people are trying to get the planet straight, and I hope someone from the far west of the state will let us know what the final decision was on those trucks coming through. Seems like they were once gonna come thru Asheville, but I may be wrong on that.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
I doubt it would be routed through Murphy with the present roads. To get to and from Murphy, you will drive on 2 lane mountain roads, unavoidable.

Is this in reference to the I3 (that is eye 3, not thirteen) that the government keeps wanting to build? This road seems very fishy, as the need is questionable, except as a possible route for nuclear waste going to the Savannah River Project from the north.

Nuclear waste does come through Asheville, coming in from TN on I40, then I26 on it way to the Savannah River Project

Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I doubt it would be routed through Murphy with the present roads. To get to and from Murphy, you will drive on 2 lane mountain roads, unavoidable.

Is this in reference to the I3 (that is eye 3, not thirteen) that the government keeps wanting to build? This road seems very fishy, as the need is questionable, except as a possible route for nuclear waste going to the Savannah River Project from the north.

Nuclear waste does come through Asheville, coming in from TN on I40, then I26 on it way to the Savannah River Project
so it won't be the florida to WNC super highway

Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
so it won't be the florida to WNC super highway
Uhhhh no Florida is not the destination, it is Savannah GA.

Proposed Interstate 3 Map

Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
yah...you're right but savannah is close enough of a drive from fla.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 PM

141 posts, read 322,926 times
A tanker truck of nuclear waste (travels at night/early morning, no history of accidents or spillage) vs. 50 box car loads of coal a day?

Which is the cleaner way to power our country?

The luddite environmental movement made our decision for us in the '70's, and we're reaping the reward today.

Enjoy that clean coal powered air in the mountains of WNC.

I probably shouldn't post this but what the heck. Japan and France power their countries with Nukes and export energy (well at least France does). Nuclear energy could help us break our dependence on foreign oil, does not contribute to "climate change", and can provide hydrogen during non-peak usage times as its more efficient to keep nukes running at 100% than powering down. But no we'll just keep chopping the tops of mountains off in West Virginia, or throwing money at pie in the sky "clean energy sources" like solar and wind which can't supply our energy needs at this time (unless we clear cut all our ridge tops and put windmills on top of them, wouldn't the Roan Highlands look good with a couple hundred wind turbines to power Bakersville and Spruce Pine).

Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 PM

141 posts, read 322,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Last I heard, a bunch of people got together and were trying to stop the trucks, but I don't know if they did. Burns me up about nuclear waste. Bothers me that it's transported out of states and thru other ones. I'm of the mind each state should keep its own waste, and if they don't have a good place to bury it, they shouldn't have built their facilities to begin with. Somehow they give a lot of money to towns who okay such a landfill, but what about the people on the roadways and near them, that the stuff goes through to get there?

I'm also of the mind that if you make something that is to be thrown away, that won't decay on its own within ten years or can't burn off clean or be recycled, then don't make it. That might be tough on the much-needed disposable diapers and plastic stuff, but it CAN be done. At the moment, the big turmoil over us having to import so much oil now, is leading the government to rubber stamp nuclear plants, as a better alternative than none.

But when the Three-Mile Island incident took place, and Chernobyl too, THAT'S when all the money put into those reactors should have been put into other power resources, or at least improving nuclear technology to a cleaner form, the fission versus fusion thing.

Gosh, I could go on and on. Well, SOME people are trying to get the planet straight, and I hope someone from the far west of the state will let us know what the final decision was on those trucks coming through. Seems like they were once gonna come thru Asheville, but I may be wrong on that.
Can't recycle nuclear waste at present thanks to the policies of Jimmy Carter and the environmental movement of the '70s. Chernobyl type catastrophe can't happen in the US as our nukes are tritium based. If something were to go wrong real big boom, but no fallout. Nuke energy is safest and cleanest means available to supply our needs outside of hydro. The Western NC mountains are suffering from the decision to remain on a coal/oil based power grid. Our air quality is one of the worst in the nation due to how air masses move over the mountains and stagnate in the summer (something which the realtors don't tell their clients when selling that ridge top view ).

Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Default a reminder:

Hey WNC . Please lets try to keep this to the original local topic and not let it go national. Appreciate it .

Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
The most recent news I've heard regarding the proposed I-3 is routing it through South Carolina instead of Georgia and far-west WNC. Something along the lines of Augusta to Greenville to tie into I-85 and U.S. 25 to I-26 south of Hendersonville or to I-26 near Clinton.

Upstate Forever opposes Interstate 3 study for South Carolina - Anderson, S.C. Independent Mail

The Southeast is no stranger to nuclear energy. There are twelve reactors in the Carolinas alone with two planned in Cherokee County, S.C.

Last edited by cowboy_wilhelm; 02-07-2008 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Corrected the number of reactors from fourteen to twelve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina