Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times

Advertisements

The government that exists in NC is the government that the residents want. If you think it is not what you like, there are other states with different outlooks with just as many advantages as NC.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Thank you!

I'm very sad to see the great strides my home state made under moderate Democratic and Republican leadership for decades dismantled so quickly in the past 5 years. While we've been enriched by the new ideas, talent, different cultures, etc. brought by transplants, those same transplants have unquestionably changed the character of the "Old North State."

This is not my home state either, and I feel your pain. I totally agree RP; over the 13 yrs. I've been here, the changes I've experienced and noticed are mostly destructive. We were in Weaverville this afternoon, haven't been there in a few years. The change in driving attitudes alone; 'me first' drivers, horn tooting; etc; all out of state tags. Only one example of the influx and how attitudes can change an area in such a short time. The friend riding with me remarked about all of the big 'ostentatious' homes built on the mountains and asked "Why do they allow these mountains to be cut up like that!?" "It is such a shame, everyone competes for the best view". Let's not forget, it was and still is that many natives of this area either needed the money they made by selling their land to developers, and/or became so greedy they looked the other way.

Shame on them for not caring what would happen to the views and the water, and the wildlife. I don't need Costco, Sam's Club, or any big box stores in exchange for the ruination of beautiful land, raping of the hillsides etc. We moved here to get away from the hustle and bustle and stress of congestion and overpopulation. We did not buy land and build McMansions, we bought existing homes. It is not all the transplants fault, the natives must take some responsibility for encouraging the situation that exists and is getting worse.

The traffic jams alone getting towards 4:30 pm coming from Weaverville and going west were also shocking to my friend (ahhh... who is from the northeast); and he realized immediately what the Asheville area(s) are headed for and was not impressed. Pollution, poor air quality, crowded conditions, overpriced property, and the wholesale ruination of the green spaces. Luckily I know the relaxing way to get back to Henderson County and through beautiful Cane Creek.

My friend, a medical professional, mentioned the 'clean water' advertisement on television several years ago, you may remember it: a Native American Indian was standing in a fairly shallow part of his formerly crystal clear local river, looking at the trash floating in the water, and warning signs of unhealthy conditions etc. The tears in the Indian's eyes said it all. After observing what goes on in the summer at boat ramps and tubing places along the French Broad, we also believe it is a damned shame. The attitude of 'everyone in the pool' here is ridiculous. The French Broad may very well be turning into unhealthy water.

Many of the natives here appreciate the many transplants who love this area and have no interest in changing it; buy existing properties, recycle, and are good stewards of the land they chose to live in. Many of us after all these years are feeling the din of the crowd, among the horn blowing and the disregard for courtesy on the roads here.

Bottom line: if we don't go to Asheville for another 5 years, it will be too soon.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,592 times
trust me, 'if you don't like it, go somewhere else' (or go "home') is something I hear a lot (especially as an immigrant). to me it is simply ignorant. thank goodness there is so much movement and activism in our area, started by people who care and did not just move on as soon as they felt uncomfortable. they love it here, many are native, others have moved here years ago and there is a lot of outrage.
I think it's the greatest thing there are buses going from Asheville to Raleigh to join the moral mondays - just as an example.

we are responsible for this planet and all the generations after us - and I promise, I won't just move away .

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
QC, that's my dear old Dad you are calling a "nut job". His field of study is carbon cycles and he and his colleagues have been predicting warming for 45 yrs.

I am not a doctor, that's why i see professionals who are and who know more.

And I am not a scientist, that's why I listen to people who are and not to those who 'don't believe in science' - ergo global warming.

I am glad all three of my children go to local schools, that have an emphasis on science. my son's school for example goes out to take water samples from rivers, test them, compare them, planted tons of local flowers to attract bees and provide a habitat for all kind of critters. they also invited all the candidates who were running for city council and the kids had great discussions.
at least we have to educate the younger generations the right way so they are aware of the need of recycling, energy saving light bulbs, good insulation of homes, more public transportation, less cars - you name it - one day they will be very mad at us and shake their heads. and those kids will be voters soon.

yes, the NC residents voted the current state government in - but I know plenty who HIGHLY regret it.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
QC, that's my dear old Dad you are calling a "nut job". His field of study is carbon cycles and he and his colleagues have been predicting warming for 45 yrs.

The concern is not "danger days" but a rise in seawater temps that could cause glaciers to slide off the antarctic continental shelf, causing sudden change in sea level. That won't affect WNC except that there will be population pressure when people have to leave the low lying areas. You'll be glad you moved QoB.

btw- I don't see how Charleston WV and Asheville could have the most danger days when there are cities hotter and muggier. I suspect that chart is based on predicted increase, not absolute numbers.

Other professionals believe it will take a million years; every professional has an opinion. It doesn't matter which field they are in. My 'dear' late husband was a multi-degreed engineer also who loved harping on this theory and that theory, and I totally relate to varying opinions. But none of us or our offspring will be around in even 1,000 years. Right now my most concerning issue is not having any rainwater in my crawl space.

When the seas rise, Florida will have reverted back to being a sand bar, probably with the Disneyworld flag prominently sticking out of the water. and no one will be migrating to Asheville.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:

The concern is not "danger days" but a rise in seawater temps that could cause glaciers to slide off the antarctic continental shelf, causing sudden change in sea level. That won't affect WNC except that there will be population pressure when people have to leave the low lying areas. You'll be glad you moved QoB.

btw- I don't see how Charleston WV and Asheville could have the most danger days when there are cities hotter and muggier. I suspect that chart is based on predicted increase, not absolute numbers.
I've always wanted to live on ocean front property.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I've always wanted to live on ocean front property.

Yessiree, me too. But we will look like Martians all wrinkled up 'n bug-eyed from all the pollution while trying to get a good tan. Dang it ! Even the sharks won't want us. (I'm getting silly -- nite nite)

Old 12-18-2015, 07:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
A bunch of rubbish (imho) conjured up by left wing nut jobs. The climate has been changing up and down for a zillion years.

The chief nut job, Barry O'bama says that climate change is more of a threat than ISIS. That oughta' tell you something!
Liberal wing nuts? You mean like Pope Francis? I think you should take a good look at the people around the world who are concerned about climate change before you make such a blatant, untrue comment, regardless of your personal political views.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
interesting read (although I think they went over the top with the climate change we have to expect over the years. Asheville will not end up in the danger zone. others will, of course :/)

What the hell is happening in North Carolina? | Grist

It is amazing how things done while the Democrats are in office are suddenly bad when a Republican is elected. The party in power has been choosing the voting districts since I can remember and I had my 70th birthday today. The Democrats chose the people who had regulated Duke Energy ignoring many things. Because the governor used to work for Duke Energy it is suddenly a political target.

That is just a couple of facts your article ignored the real truth about.

Nobody but your mother cares that you don't want to come back home.

Oh, the moral demonstrators are really immoral demonstrators because they don't like it that dead people won't have the right to vote anymore which, I am sure would have prevented Obama from even the close win that he got last election. We are tired of college students voting in Jersey and here too. There were several other immoral issues too. Some people don't have enough to do so they fill their time demonstrating.

About the best I saw about the demonstrators was a lady who cannot get to the DMV in her own town but she was getting on a bus and traveling four hours to Raleigh to demonstrate against having to have that free I. D. Hypocrite is what I call that person.

So go ahead and bad-mouth our good state and stay where you are for sure. Maybe you will keep someone else from moving here. The county I live in has doubled in population and was the fastest growing county in America two years in a row.

Nothing about ____ is going on in North Carolina. All is good except too many selfish people are moving in. Our county and town are trying our best to slow that down a bit.

Last edited by NCN; 12-18-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 08:00 PM

243 posts, read 477,963 times
I don't think there are many people that don't believe in climate change. The climate is always changing, and will always change. People are in a disagreement on the cause of the climate change.

The far left thinks it's 99% human, 1% nature. The far right thinks it's 99% nature and 1% human.

I'm always a skeptic. I'm especially a skeptic when there are findings for anything that would financially benefit the people who make the findings. In this case the people who would benefit the most financially by a confirmation of man-made global warning, are the ones that are the loudest proponents of man-made global warming. The make findings against that, or even neutral...ie...the globe is changing but we can't confirm with certainty the cause.......their funding runs dry and they are out a job. It takes a very honest person to do that. It's been frustrating also the moving of the goal posts. Global warming has become climate change or climate shift. The amount of CO2 humans release as a product of energy is a small % of what's released naturally. As far as we can hypothesize throughout history the rise in CO2 has always come after the warming, not before. So how much of the recent CO2 increase has really caused an increase in temperature. The concentration of CO2 has skyrocketed (many reasons), yet the predicted temperature hasn't increased in kind as predicted. We know in a lab CO2 has pronounced effects on temperature. Throw it into the atmosphere with an infinite number of variables, we can't 'know' anything despite our best guesses.

So for me.............

1)There may or may not be a human cause with the recent increases in temperatures.....or it may be part of the natural cycle. BUT......We are running out of fuels anyway and need to find other sustainable sources. Don't cripple our country by abandoning fossil fuels in a hurry but we need to hasten the technologies for change.
2)There are other areas common sense should be able to prevail. Digging giant holes in the ground to put our collective trash in.....can we all agree this day in age that's pretty dumb as a long term solution. Can we agree that plastic drinking bottles are a huge net negative to our long term planetary health to the only plus of convenience. Can we agree that putting 12 ounces of food into a container that can hold 36 ounces is wasteful.

There are a lot of areas we could be improving things but we aren't cause we are too busy trying to figure an irrelevant point.....whether or not man is causing global warming....sorry....now climate shift or climate change. I really think the local movement for food could be a huge shift for energy consumption if we can spread that to other areas of life. The world takes a big beating for our convenience factor. We waste energy ever day for things like a google search and clothing delivered from 12,000 miles away.

Last edited by oneluckymug; 12-19-2015 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina