Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,433 times

Advertisements

Looking for input on living in Arden, Fairview or Weaverville? We work out of the house so commuting is not an issue. But we are looking for a nice place to call home, comfortable living, access to Asheville and all it has to offer. Schools are important as is being in decent proximity to conveniences. I have read the data on GreatSchools and other sites like that. Seems TC Roberson in Arden is very well thought of. Anyone much about North Buncombe schools that serve Weaverville? Any other info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
Looking for input on living in Arden, Fairview or Weaverville? We work out of the house so commuting is not an issue. But we are looking for a nice place to call home, comfortable living, access to Asheville and all it has to offer. Schools are important as is being in decent proximity to conveniences. I have read the data on GreatSchools and other sites like that. Seems TC Roberson in Arden is very well thought of. Anyone much about North Buncombe schools that serve Weaverville? Any other info is greatly appreciated!
I have a close friend who teaches at Roberson. It's one of the better schools, but I keep hearing of higher drug usage there than at the rest of the the schools in Buncombe country. I don't have any experience with nor do I know and/or have heard much about North Buncombe.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
We just moved to Fairview and have a daughter at Renyolds. Roberson was our second choice. My daughter has heard a lot about the drug problem at Roberson from kids at school. My husband has also heard the same thing from people he works with that have kids in school there. Usually, wherever the money is...that's where the drug problems are.

Just rumors I know but when you hear if from several different sources, kind of makes you wonder if it's true.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,553 times
I would have no problem sending my kids to any school in the Reynolds, Roberson or North Buncombe districts. The first two are higher rated, but NB is good, too. I've heard people that really like the fact that Weaverville has a school for K-2 (Weaverville Primary) and another for 3-5 (North Buncombe Elem.)

VBMom may be able to speak better to Fairview's "proximity to conveniences." To me it seems somewhat isolated. We just moved from South Asheville to Arden (6 miles!) but looked at Weaverville, as we did when we first moved back up here in 2003. My wife loves Weaverville's downtown, and we would have enjoyed being closer to Merrimon Ave and UNCA.

But staying south made sense to us. I like being near the interstate & Airport Rd; and everything we could possibly need is on Hendersonville Road. And we're a 20-minute drive from downtown Asheville. I take the bus to work often, something that is not an option in Fairview.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
It doesn't seem far at all to me but I suppose it's all what you are used to. Tunnel Road is only 10 minutes for me. Arden takes about 15. I don't think that's far but for some it might be.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,433 times
Thanks to all for their input.

cooperwx, can you tell me more about what is along that main street in Weaverville? We of course will be making a trip up to see for ourselves but knowing what appealed to your wife will give us some advance knowledge. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,725 times
Weaverville's cute as a button--and just as big!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist answering for cooperwx. I'm bad.)

Jan

Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,553 times
Hey Jan, I know you became familiar with our little neighbor to the north not so long ago, so chime in with whatever I miss!

Weaverville's official site gives great insight into what exactly is along Main Street. Just click on "Business Directory," and then "Complete list of member businesses" and note the great variety of locally owned establishments. Blue Mountain Pizza is very good. The Weaverville branch of the county library system is right on Main St as well, and the entire thoroughfare is very walkable. Just a quaint, thriving downtown.

Somewhat unfortunately, there is nothing quaint about the commercial areas of Arden. Hendersonville Rd is a five-lane artery that is unforgiving to pedestrians, though sidewalks and crosswalks are going in at a slow pace around Mills Gap Rd and Long Shoals Rd. Strip development continues

There are a wide variety of neighborhoods in the Arden/South Asheville area, from Biltmore Forest and the Ramble (both $600k-$5 million) to Biltmore Park ($400k-$2 million) to Ballantree and Park Avenue ($300-450k). Those with an Arden address are Royal Pines and Mountain View ($200-300k), smaller developments along Weston Rd and Mills Gap Rd ($250-800k) and the Bradley Branch and Hunters Trace neighborhoods (both $200-275k) between H'ville Rd and the River. Even the Avery's Creek area west of the River along Hwy. 191 has the Arden zip, and is in the Roberson district.

Last edited by cooperwx; 02-06-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Add Arden info

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,563 times
Weaverville also has the Well-Bred Bakery, an outfitters store, Sunnyside Cafe (original owners are back and it's really good), a day spa and Stoney Knob Cafe (not on the Main St. area) but great food just a little further down the road. The Well-Bred has a nice atmosphere where locals hang out for coffee and those giant eclairs! We always get a good feeling when we are in downtown Weaverville.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 9,480 times
I publish a blog for Weaverville, myweaverville.com, which might help you get a flavor of the town. Not hard news, but things like store sales, musical performances, benefits, wine tastings, etc. I moved here 6 years ago from West Asheville and couldn't be happier with the decision.

I don't personally know about the schools up here since I don't have kids, but I'll ask around.

You're welcome to contact me and I'll be happy to answer any questions as best I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina