Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 03:01 PM

212 posts, read 265,083 times

Advertisements

Well, it was bound to happen. I parked my car on Ox Creek near the entrance to the Rattlesnake lodge trailhead to hike. My car is a bit low, so I couldn't take it all the way off the side of the road without scraping. I had about a wheel's worth or less of car hanging out onto the road.

When I got back from the hike, there was a State Trooper parked behind my car. At first I was scared because I thought maybe someone tried to break in or something serious. As soon as I walked up, he hung out of his window and yelled pretty loud 'IS THAT YOUR CAR RIGHT THERE!!?!'. I said yes sir (I have family and friends in law enforcement so I am always respectful for what they have to do), and he said 'Get your license, registration, and get over here.'. Ohhhhhhhh kay?

He then proceeds to make me repeat what the sign on the side of the road says two times (No parking on road) for good measure, and then asks "Why don't you understand what you just read?". At this point, it was really bordering on abusive but I let it go. I just explained that I couldn't get any further off the road and that barely a tire was actually in the road. He told me that I was lucky he didn't tow my car and said I was getting off easy with a 25 dollar ticket. I figured if I can never have to deal with this guy again for 25 bucks, it was well worth the money.

Nope. It's a 25 dollar ticket for illegal parking PLUS 185 dollars in 'Court Costs'. Coming from Florida where this doesn't exist, I clearly understand this is a way to legally fleece people and draw money into the coffers but it is infuriating.

I love this place, but it's going to take a while to get used to the back-woods Dukes of Hazard ways of WNC. I still wouldn't trade it for the world, but BOY is this place backwards (and back-woods) sometimes!

Old 01-13-2016, 06:51 PM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
Indeed. I have gotten a ticket for no seat belt and one for speeding since we moved here a little over a year ago. The court fees are insane! I realized, however, that I think it is for 2 reasons. One is to make loads of money off of people, as you said. But I also think it is for the purpose of keeping people out of the courts trying to fight their ticket. Going to court to try to fight the actual ticket amount is usually not worth it if one still has to pay the court costs which are usually more than the ticket.
In the state that we moved from, if one plead not guilty on a speeding ticket, for example, then the officer had to come to court on the court date as well and if he/she didn't show up, the ticket was dismissed. It often was a gamble worth taking. In NC it's generally not worth it since one has to pay those court costs . So they are effectively keeping people out of the courts quite often. I did go to court for the speeding ticket because I didn't want my insurance to go up. I also had a legitimate excuse because my cluster board was malfunctioning and my mechanic attested to that. They lessened the charge of the speeding, but I still had to pay the $300 court costs. The no seat belt ticket I just paid since it wasn't worth it to go to court for the $30. The $160 I would have had to pay no matter what.
The way that policeman treated you was haughty and arrogant. I find that the case with so many police these days. Strange times.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
That's ridiculous.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
I still wouldn't trade it for the world, but BOY is this place backwards (and back-woods) sometimes!
well said. sorry that happened to you.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
I once got pulled over for speeding near Camp Lejune - because I was going 76 (in a 55) I had to post bond and my charge of 20 + required me to go to court (11 hours from where I lived). The cop drove me to the police station at speeds over 75 MPH in his car where I paid my bond. My friends followed in my car trying to keep up. I never showed up for court. 5 years later I was informed by letter I could restore my NC driving privileges for $50.

Don't much care to have any interaction with the Police in NC.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:29 AM

311 posts, read 172,469 times
Hmmmm, had this occurred just about ANYwhere in MD right now, alls you would have to do is file a formal complaint against the officer and wave goodbye in his final whirlpool as his department effectively flushes him down the toilet (seriously, you would DEFINITELY wind up having the last laugh over this); AND THEN (and I kid you not) find an attorney willing to file a civil suit against the department (you can't sleep, the atty will find you a dr willing to sign off you now have mild ptsd, etc., etc.) and then just wait for the settlement check!

Old 01-14-2016, 05:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Well, it was bound to happen. I parked my car on Ox Creek near the entrance to the Rattlesnake lodge trailhead to hike. My car is a bit low, so I couldn't take it all the way off the side of the road without scraping. I had about a wheel's worth or less of car hanging out onto the road.

When I got back from the hike, there was a State Trooper parked behind my car. At first I was scared because I thought maybe someone tried to break in or something serious. As soon as I walked up, he hung out of his window and yelled pretty loud 'IS THAT YOUR CAR RIGHT THERE!!?!'. I said yes sir (I have family and friends in law enforcement so I am always respectful for what they have to do), and he said 'Get your license, registration, and get over here.'. Ohhhhhhhh kay?

He then proceeds to make me repeat what the sign on the side of the road says two times (No parking on road) for good measure, and then asks "Why don't you understand what you just read?". At this point, it was really bordering on abusive but I let it go. I just explained that I couldn't get any further off the road and that barely a tire was actually in the road. He told me that I was lucky he didn't tow my car and said I was getting off easy with a 25 dollar ticket. I figured if I can never have to deal with this guy again for 25 bucks, it was well worth the money.

Nope. It's a 25 dollar ticket for illegal parking PLUS 185 dollars in 'Court Costs'. Coming from Florida where this doesn't exist, I clearly understand this is a way to legally fleece people and draw money into the coffers but it is infuriating.

I love this place, but it's going to take a while to get used to the back-woods Dukes of Hazard ways of WNC. I still wouldn't trade it for the world, but BOY is this place backwards (and back-woods) sometimes!
You claim NC is Dukes of Hazard backwoods because this state isn't giving special treatment for you not following the law.

If your not able to park correctly then find a place that you can park legally. Florida dings your license for every traffic violation, residents pay for it that way.

Maybe it really you who needs to adjust driving a lowrider in the mountains where the terrain, slopes, grades, and weather effects the performance.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:14 AM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
I'm very familiar with where you were parked. It's a very popular place with only a handful of places to park safety, since it's a narrow, steep mountain road. Before not parking on or in the road was enforced, there were cars blocking one lane. The sign is very clear and can't be missed. I would like to see a picture of how you were parked. Did you take one? Blaming the NC State Trooper for your mistake won't get any sympathy from most people.

My advice is to let this go. Continue to focus on the high you are on about moving here, building your dream house and enjoying the area. Taking the attitude of "this isn't Florida where this wouldn't happen" is going to alienate you from being accepted. Being here apparently is (or was) far more desirable then being in FL. Get an old jeep or 4x4 pickup to enjoy the back roads. The relatively small court fees is minor in comparison to the money you're going to spend to relocate.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:45 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I once got pulled over for speeding near Camp Lejune - because I was going 76 (in a 55) I had to post bond and my charge of 20 + required me to go to court (11 hours from where I lived). The cop drove me to the police station at speeds over 75 MPH in his car where I paid my bond. My friends followed in my car trying to keep up. I never showed up for court. 5 years later I was informed by letter I could restore my NC driving privileges for $50.

Don't much care to have any interaction with the Police in NC.

What makes you think you can drive 76 in a 55 zone Follow the LAW in any state and you'll be fine.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Well, it was bound to happen............................................ .................................................. .............................. but it's going to take a while to get used to the back-woods Dukes of Hazard ways of WNC. I still wouldn't trade it for the world, but BOY is this place backwards (and back-woods) sometimes!

No, this place is NOT backwards or back woods. By saying "it was bound to happen", it sounds like you were testing the waters by ignoring the sign; waiting for an opportunity to validate your impression of 'the back-woods Dukes of Hazard ways".

It gets very tiring and annoying listening to 'how, in ( xxxx )" things were different, and insulting to all of us "Dukes" who follow the law. It is no wonder that people here cringe at the sight of more FL tags coming here.

If things were that great in Orlando/zip 32771, why are you here ? You will not get special treatment, don't expect it.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 01-14-2016 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina