Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,753,009 times

Advertisements

We'll be staying at Devil's Fork, Lake Jocassee in mid February of this year and will take a day trip to either Cashiers or Highlands.

Which has more to offer for a family ages 8-80 years old?

What do you recommend to do or see and if warm enough maybe a 1-2 mile hike?

Any good reasonably priced place to eat for lunch?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 05:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
We'll be staying at Devil's Fork, Lake Jocassee in mid February of this year and will take a day trip to either Cashiers or Highlands.

Which has more to offer for a family ages 8-80 years old?

What do you recommend to do or see and if warm enough maybe a 1-2 mile hike?

Any good reasonably priced place to eat for lunch?

Thanks.

Highlands has a very nice walkable downtown; it will be chilly and there could be snow, though hopefully sunny. A nice selection of places to eat there, very nice gift shops etc. High dollar fine dining would be the Old Edwards Inn. I have no idea on hiking, especially in February. I don't believe there is much to do in Cashiers, a few restaurants etc., I've not been there much, and others may chime in. Have fun!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,285 times
mid February is usually not Spring at 3500+ feet. Lows in the 30's or maybe 20's and highs in the 40's or 50's.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Honestly. Neither. Most shops had very limited hours if they were open at all that time of year. We stayed at Old Edwards Inn and the Inn was pretty much the only thing with regular hours.
Instead drive up by caesars head and go to DuPont state park or Gorges state park (dont remember which hwy comes from sc to here) then brevard instead.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:09 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,134 times
Dry Falls right outside of Highlands is your best bet IMO...

But its a very short hike and you can go down and see it, and be back in the car in less than a half hour though.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Dry Falls right outside of Highlands is your best bet IMO...

But its a very short hike and you can go down and see it, and be back in the car in less than a half hour though.
Thanks. I used to live in Greenville so I've seen a lot in the mtns, but not too familiar with the Cashiers/Highlands areas. I've seen Dry Falls but other family members haven't so perhaps we'll take a drive around if no snow/ice on the ground. Isn't there a Bridal Falls near there too?

Anything else of interest worth driving by around the falls? We might just take a drive and look around and then find a place to eat just to get out of the cabin one day.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Honestly. Neither. Most shops had very limited hours if they were open at all that time of year. We stayed at Old Edwards Inn and the Inn was pretty much the only thing with regular hours.
Instead drive up by caesars head and go to DuPont state park or Gorges state park (dont remember which hwy comes from sc to here) then brevard instead.
We all did the Dupont State Park a few years ago. I believe that is where some of the Hunger Games movie was filmed. That was a great park and we all enjoyed it. We've done a lot of the Gorges State Park also. We go to Jocassee about twice a year for at least 10 years now.

Since it's going to be cold in February, I'm trying to find something we hadn't done or seen since we probably won't be boating. I thought maybe a pretty drive or if we could find a neat hiking place if we dressed warm. Or maybe there is a little scenic drive that we could take to somewhere neat to eat.

It's just hard to find anything different to do. One trip we drove all the way up Jumping Off Rock. That was different and everyone enjoyed that. The scenery was the best once we finally made it to the top. That was quite a drive up the mtns.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:58 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
We all did the Dupont State Park a few years ago. I believe that is where some of the Hunger Games movie was filmed. That was a great park and we all enjoyed it. We've done a lot of the Gorges State Park also. We go to Jocassee about twice a year for at least 10 years now.

Since it's going to be cold in February, I'm trying to find something we hadn't done or seen since we probably won't be boating. I thought maybe a pretty drive or if we could find a neat hiking place if we dressed warm. Or maybe there is a little scenic drive that we could take to somewhere neat to eat.

It's just hard to find anything different to do. One trip we drove all the way up Jumping Off Rock. That was different and everyone enjoyed that. The scenery was the best once we finally made it to the top. That was quite a drive up the mtns.
Have you spent any time in brevard? You could do that then there are plenty of short hikes and water falls right off U.S. 276. I really don't think highlands/cashiers has much to offer. We couldn't even find places to eat when we were there the first week of February. That's how dead everything was.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Have you spent any time in brevard? You could do that then there are plenty of short hikes and water falls right off U.S. 276. I really don't think highlands/cashiers has much to offer. We couldn't even find places to eat when we were there the first week of February. That's how dead everything was.
Great. Thanks. I will do some research on Brevard also.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:39 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Highlands is the best choice for walking around a cute town, recreational shopping, etc. But be aware it is the highest town E of the Mississippi so you might encounter snow/ice. There's really no there there in Cashiers.

As for waterfalls, the park office has a wonderful brochure of SC waterfalls with directions, lengths, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina