Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,757 times

Advertisements

OH HELP! We just found out that our landlord will not extend our Hendersonville rental on a month-to-month basis, which is the only way we want to rent, now that our San Diego house is in escrow. Which means that we'll have to get out of here and into some new living arrangement by March 31! And we don't have time (teaching, social commitments) to even begin researching the market until February 11, which means we'll have exactly SEVEN WEEKS to research, negotiate, contract, and move in to either a rental or a purchase.

Okay, we're not going to lose sleep over this (yeah, right!). We're going to see this as a golden opportunity either to buy the house of our dreams and move in fast... or rent something. Either way, we want to be in northern Asheville or Black Mountain. We won't know which until we do a lot more research and, hopefully, hear back from you.

So, narrowing the field to north Asheville (reasonably near UNCA, Greenlife, Beaver Lake) and Black Mountain, what would you suggest? Do you know of any nice condos or apartments or houses for RENT in those areas on a month-to-month basis? Otherwise we're thinking we would probably have to rent one of those "vacation homes"--a chalet, a cabin, whatever--with high turnover and less than wonderful living conditions. Whatever you know, we would appreciate your sharing, either here or by direct mail or email.

The other half of our question is... Where would you advise us to look for a house to BUY in north Asheville (same areas) and Black Mountain? We want no more than 2400 sq. ft. (if possible--though we may have to flex on this), one or one-and-a-half levels (for example, with guest suite over the garage), new or recently renovated, with awesome mountain views, and just enough wooded land (the kind that God maintains) to provide privacy. What do you have for us, please?

We knew some day we'd need your help big-time, friends. That day has come! HELP!!!

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
I agree with Lorriem from your other thread - why go into another rental especially for short term? Why not try to buy now? I don't know your budget for a home, but the neighborhoods to the north (around UNCA, etc) can be pricey may not have enough land. You can buy a lot more home (and land) for your money as you get towards Weaverville, and it's only about a 5 minute ride or so to the north side of town. One area I really love, it feels very rural but is so close-in is Beaverdam. I love that area and it has GREAT mountain views - you might check there for a house to buy.

Black Mountain, however, really has a lot of charm, but as you know is a little further drive. Many beautiful mountain views around there. I guess you have to narrow it down what you like best. Personally, I think the north side of Asheville will be the better investment, long term, it's just a very desirable part of town. So many great areas around there.

You are going to have so much fun shopping for a house! Sorry I can't help with rentals, but one good thing is that this time of year is off-season, and you may luck into a short term rental somewhere. Check on Craigslist.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with Lorriem from your other thread - why go into another rental especially for short term? Why not try to buy now? I don't know your budget for a home, but the neighborhoods to the north (around UNCA, etc) can be pricey may not have enough land. You can buy a lot more home (and land) for your money as you get towards Weaverville, and it's only about a 5 minute ride or so to the north side of town. One area I really love, it feels very rural but is so close-in is Beaverdam. I love that area and it has GREAT mountain views - you might check there for a house to buy.

Black Mountain, however, really has a lot of charm, but as you know is a little further drive. Many beautiful mountain views around there. I guess you have to narrow it down what you like best. Personally, I think the north side of Asheville will be the better investment, long term, it's just a very desirable part of town. So many great areas around there....
Thanks, Gypsy! You and Lorrie think alike on this, so I'll quote her post and my response to her--and you:

Originally Posted by lorriem on another thread:
Why would you want to rent again and move twice more. Closing will go smoothly and you now know the lay of the land and what you want. Tell your agent to start looking and by March 31st you can be in your brand new (to you) house.

Jan's response to Lorrie:
Lorrie, I know that plan was oh so obvious to you, but we had to hear you say it before we were able to move into that level of thought. We've never imagined finding, buying, and moving into a house in seven weeks! And we didn't want to rush ourselves, either--definitely not! But reading your post and sharing your mindset caused us to step back about three feet and realize that if God could make the world in seven days, surely we can move into a carefully chosen new house in seven weeks!

Funny thing, Gypsy, is that we have been planning to take a careful look at Beaverdam. We saw it once but only quickly and were somewhat discouraged by the heavy traffic on Beaverdam Road. But now we're very interested in the area again. Thanks for the tip!

We see MANY reasons to buy in north Asheville and then just commute 15 or 20 minutes to Black Mountain to teach my dulcimer students or visit friends. Since north Asheville is close to UNCA, our church, and everything that Asheville has to offer, all of which are extremely important to us, it just makes good sense to settle there. Our concern has been finding the kind of house, property, and neighborhood we're looking for there at a price we can live with... but I'll bet it's out there like a sign-twirler just waiting for us to see it!!

Jan

Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,526 times
There are concerns that Beaverdam Road may not be able to be widened to to the very topography that provides the views. It's just so narrow. And if they do try to widen it one day, it will be a long painful, earthmoving process.

Jan, your mention of the seasonal rentals makes a LOT of sense. Surely there's some WNC part-timers whose homes are just sitting empty right now. I don't know how to go about renting one of those, and these second homes probably have furniture and such in them already. Craigslist might be a good place.

If you can afford it (don't know the budget), I think you'd like the convenience of a home off Charlotte St. in North Asheville. Very leafy, an appreciation of the historic nature of the neighborhoods, convenient to UNCA, downtown Asheville, and I-240 east towards Black Mountain. 2400sf will be pricey: $380-500K.

If that were my budget, I'd have moved there over anywhere else in Asheville.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 PM

124 posts, read 815,767 times
Default Black Mountain

Ya know, if I were you and you were considering Black Mountain, I would rent for a little bit....just because there are so many great little areas that you kind of stumble upon. Hands down the ideal situation would be to have home in which you can walk into town, since it is so darned cute. We bought right away (up by the golf course, which I love) and THEN found all the secret neighborhoods. I love my home, don't get me wrong. If you are a retiree, I think Black Mountain is heaven on earth for retirees. If you are looking for the true authentic small town way of life, it is here in Black Mountain.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccool719 View Post
Ya know, if I were you and you were considering Black Mountain, I would rent for a little bit....just because there are so many great little areas that you kind of stumble upon. Hands down the ideal situation would be to have home in which you can walk into town, since it is so darned cute. We bought right away (up by the golf course, which I love) and THEN found all the secret neighborhoods. I love my home, don't get me wrong. If you are a retiree, I think Black Mountain is heaven on earth for retirees. If you are looking for the true authentic small town way of life, it is here in Black Mountain.
Maybe you could meet up with Jan and Bill for the day and show them some of the hidden jewels you found in Black Mountain

(Or at least draw them a map? Hey, they're on a tight time frame!)

Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
OH HELP! We just found out that our landlord will not extend our Hendersonville rental on a month-to-month basis, which is the only way we want to rent, now that our San Diego house is in escrow. Which means that we'll have to get out of here and into some new living arrangement by March 31! And we don't have time (teaching, social commitments) to even begin researching the market until February 11, which means we'll have exactly SEVEN WEEKS to research, negotiate, contract, and move in to either a rental or a purchase.

Okay, we're not going to lose sleep over this (yeah, right!). We're going to see this as a golden opportunity either to buy the house of our dreams and move in fast... or rent something. Either way, we want to be in northern Asheville or Black Mountain. We won't know which until we do a lot more research and, hopefully, hear back from you.

So, narrowing the field to north Asheville (reasonably near UNCA, Greenlife, Beaver Lake) and Black Mountain, what would you suggest? Do you know of any nice condos or apartments or houses for RENT in those areas on a month-to-month basis? Otherwise we're thinking we would probably have to rent one of those "vacation homes"--a chalet, a cabin, whatever--with high turnover and less than wonderful living conditions. Whatever you know, we would appreciate your sharing, either here or by direct mail or email.

The other half of our question is... Where would you advise us to look for a house to BUY in north Asheville (same areas) and Black Mountain? We want no more than 2400 sq. ft. (if possible--though we may have to flex on this), one or one-and-a-half levels (for example, with guest suite over the garage), new or recently renovated, with awesome mountain views, and just enough wooded land (the kind that God maintains) to provide privacy. What do you have for us, please?

We knew some day we'd need your help big-time, friends. That day has come! HELP!!!

Jan
Ahhh...North Asheville....I love that part of town and if my financial situation ever changes that is where I want to buy....but that's off topic.... As for that part of town, the houses near UNCA will have very small lots. I don't know how much of a factor that is for you but they tend to be quite small. I lived in Black Mountain for several years and while parts of it may be pricer the lots will be bigger in almost all sections of it.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 AM

244 posts, read 714,317 times
Moderator cut: removed I get the Black Mountain News and there are several house rentals listed in their classified, at least one of which appears open to a less-than-a-year lease. There's quite a bit for sale in BM as well in the usual price ranges seen there, high and higher. Good luck with your quest for housing. I'll be following you to BM in a decade or so.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-09-2008 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: please use dm

Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,135 times
Jan,

As you know I'm a housing bear right now, my flat out recommendation is NOT to buy a house due to current falling prices, having said that here are my recommendations.

North of Asheville:

Woodfin, is getting better, but when I was growing up there it was not a very desirable area, still some low rent areas.

Weaverville is a growing area, lots of inventory I know of a house with an inground pool, 1.2 ac, views, RV pad set up, etc that is just over 400k and with a strong offer could be had for less.

Another brand new home in Weaverville area that has a Fantastic View, I believe it's listed just over $400k, very nice house, I know the builder, he'll definitely take less, mid $300k?? Wrap around porch etc.

Another brand new home that the sellers can't give away and are close to loosing, mid 300k range that will go for less.

I went to UNCA years ago, it's usually good to be close to a university.

As to Black Mountain, I love Black Mt as well, but it is a drive to UNCA. I lived on E. College st years ago. Black Mt has more of a real feel for town compared to Weaverville.

As to short term rentals, check out craigslist, it lists rentals, vacation rentals, homes for sale, etc Not a bad source of info.

Good luck with your decision, there is a ton of inventory to choose from, with much more that will be coming online for the big spring season.

Please rent and then buy, don't rush into your "last" home just because you are short on time.

As to your landlord, offer a few hundred more per month to continue to keep you on a month to month basis, $200 more per month will not break the bank for you and I'd rather do that than to have to move to another short term lease and incur the hassle and expense of moving......it'd be cheaper to pay more for where you are at.

Good luck either way, just trying to help.

Tony

Old 02-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Many thanks to all of you!! We have printed out all of your input and will take it with us to discuss with our realtor ASAP.

We have also taken Tony's advice and offered our landlord more money to let us rent here up to May 31 if we need to, without binding us to that date (we'd just need to give 30 days' notice). That would give us roughly three months to buy a house and move in, which surely we can do if we work at it full-time. We're waiting to hear back from the landlord.

I agree with you, Tony, that houses are going to continue to come down in price around here, which is why we will not expect to make a full-price offer now. We didn't get anything like a full-price offer on our San Diego house, and it won't happen for sellers here, either. But we want to buy now to get on with our lives. We've been destabilized and stressed out by all this house selling and moving and now buying for almost a year and a half! And if we bought a house tomorrow, we're looking at up to another year to furnish and decorate and make the house a home. We are weary of walking on shifting sands while juggling balls.... Besides, we'll probably be in our new house long enough to see the market fall and then rise again!

Please continue to offer your suggestions, dear friends. We are very grateful for them.

Also, please pray for us today. Our house in San Diego is undergoing INSPECTION. If we can get past that hurdle, we should be home free. And home-free!!! Gotta love that pun!

Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina