Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Friend accepted a position in Hendersonville. She and her retired husband have two dogs and would like to rent for 6 months while they figure out what's what. Her budget is $1500-$2000/month and she would like a three bedroom home with a fenced yard. She has contacted several places on CL and a couple rental agents, but it appears that the two dogs and the 6 month lease are a significant barrier.

She will be in Hendersonville next week, but at this point has few possibilities to consider.

Anyone know of rental agent who can help her with her search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:38 AM

643 posts, read 669,047 times
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a rental agent who can show listings from multiple agencies (other than the one they represent) in the way that realtors can show properties for sale through the MLS. We ran into the same issue when we were looking for a rental and I spent a lot of time searching on line to make sure I'd found all possible rentals. Any house we looked at was shown by an agent the house was listed with and they couldn't show other listings. It takes leg work and the ability to make a decision quickly.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Friend accepted a position in Hendersonville. She and her retired husband have two dogs and would like to rent for 6 months while they figure out what's what. Her budget is $1500-$2000/month and she would like a three bedroom home with a fenced yard. She has contacted several places on CL and a couple rental agents, but it appears that the two dogs and the 6 month lease are a significant barrier.

She will be in Hendersonville next week, but at this point has few possibilities to consider.

Anyone know of rental agent who can help her with her search?

There are some rental agencies in the Hendersonville area; I hesitate to actually recommend any of them in particular because they are not all 'created equal'. The best thing would be to use Google for: Property Management Companies; Vacation Rentals (etc.); separately by town. e.g. Hendersonville NC - Arden, NC - Fletcher, NC - Asheville, NC

Call the major real estate franchises and ask if they have any possible rentals at this time in your price range, or are there any Realtors in their office who handle both rental listings and home listings.

The Sunday edition of www.blueridgenow.com has a whole section devoted to real estate and you can 'read it' online. Also the Asheville paper: www.citizen-times.com

Small towns within a 15 or 20 mile radius of Hendersonville or south Asheville are an easy commute. The HR department of your spouse's company may also offer suggestions.

Best of luck with your search.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 AM

Thanks for all your help. We found an agent with Carolina Cottages to help us.

Fingers crossed.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:47 AM

Update: My friend finally found a home to lease but it was not easy

The Carolina Cottages agent cancelled our first appointment as the roads were too icy. My friend and I are from Alaska and drove in that afternoon, so the road conditions did not worry us as much and we drove around to see the outside of the properties. Fortunately, another agent in the office was able to show us the homes the next day.

Though the outsides all seemed reasonable enough, inside was another matter. One smelled strongly of mildew/mold. The owner was still storing belongings in the next home. The third was clean and cleared of all the owner's possessions, always a plus, but small. Not sure a king bed would have fit in any of the bedrooms. It would have been a tight fit for a sofa, chair, and dining room table in the open concept kitchen/living, room/dining room.

Called around and checked CL. Some didn't bother replying. Other replies were odd. One CL reply went on about them being an honest, Christian family and how we could peek in the windows and then send them the check.

Finally found the The Raab Group, LLC who manage homes that people buy as investments. Rented a clean, decent size home in a nice neighborhood.

We'll see how it all works out but I was surprised by how difficult it was to find such a home.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Glad to hear she is getting situated. Sorry, I didn't know about the Raab Group, they must be a fairly new company in the area. But I do now and went to their website, seems very professional. I'll recommend them in the future based on your good experience.

Best wishes; your friend will love the area.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Glad to hear she is getting situated. Sorry, I didn't know about the Raab Group, they must be a fairly new company in the area. But I do now and went to their website, seems very professional. I'll recommend them in the future based on your good experience.

Best wishes; your friend will love the area.
House hunting took us all over the place and she already loves it. Can't wait for the Garden Jubilee.

The Raab Group is in the Keller Williams building on S. Main. Not sure how long they've been around but seemed fairly professional. Easy enough to deal with. We'll see how it works out.

Fingers crossed.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
House hunting took us all over the place and she already loves it. Can't wait for the Garden Jubilee.

The Raab Group is in the Keller Williams building on S. Main. Not sure how long they've been around but seemed fairly professional. Easy enough to deal with. We'll see how it works out.

Fingers crossed.

Garden Jubilee, yes, always a treat. I believe it's in May that we also have Art on Main; and most all summer on Friday nights, Music on Main (bring a folding chair). Check the Hendersonville Visitor's Center website for the full list of events that take place here. Always something going on.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:48 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
You might want to google Carolina Cottages.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You might want to google Carolina Cottages.
Yikes!

Over a dozen one and two star reviews.

Apparently, dodged a bullet here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina