Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 PM

23 posts, read 66,988 times

Advertisements

So, I received a job offer in Canton. I've been searching the south to get closer to family and escape the nasty Wisconsin winters. Thing is, the pay would decrease from $30/hr to $21/hr. Medical out of pocket would go from $200/month to $375/month. I really love this area, but is it worth it? How is the cost of living in this area besides housing. I have a one year old, so food is huge. Any advise would be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:29 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,289,729 times
I suggest you read as many old posts as you can find on the subject. There are many posts that will give you the info you are looking for.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:43 PM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
There are many websites you can use to compare the cost of living between Canton and where you live now (including this one, I believe). No one can answer the question you are asking, given the information you have provided.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:58 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymanl67 View Post
So, I received a job offer in Canton. I've been searching the south to get closer to family and escape the nasty Wisconsin winters. Thing is, the pay would decrease from $30/hr to $21/hr. Medical out of pocket would go from $200/month to $375/month. I really love this area, but is it worth it? How is the cost of living in this area besides housing. I have a one year old, so food is huge. Any advise would be very helpful. Thanks!

It will depend on your budget for housing. Renting? Purchasing a home? etc. Closer to family who are where? The difference in medical for you will be difficult with your income decrease. However, other expenses such as heat and the lower property taxes will make a difference also. Remember, if you work in Canton, you don't have to live in Canton, there are other outlying towns and rural areas. As others have noted, check a cost of living calculator online, but don't rely on it fully because some are only updated every few years. Best wishes.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:59 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymanl67 View Post
I really love this area, but is it worth it? How is the cost of living in this area besides housing. I have a one year old, so food is huge. Any advise would be very helpful. Thanks!
I expect that food is about the same, but we have a 2% sales tax on food. In addition, a 7% sales tax applies to utility bills.

Use the most detailed COL calculator you can find. You should probably include how much you would save in travel expenses to visit family. Only you can say whether the differences are worth it.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 02:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina