Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,839 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

We are "happening" so quickly now that one day we ask you about areas around north Asheville and the next day we ask you about areas to the east! We apologize for that! Please bear with us. We now definitely know where we want to be--to the EAST of Asheville so that we will have easy access to both Asheville and Black Mountain, yet will still be a short drive to UNCA and the Basilica of St. Thomas (next to the Civic Center).

If our house in San Diego closes escrow on March 14 as expected (we are working through the inspection process right now, but inspection turned up nothing major), we will be free to move into a purchased house here very soon. We will also find it necessary to move out of our current rental here, possibly by as early as March 31! (We're requesting an extension on that rental but haven't heard back yet.)

May I ask those of you in the know: Is there anything illegal or unethical about working with two or three realtors at once in the process of finding a house to buy??? We would not sign any commitment papers with any of them and would let each one know that we may be working with others. We would simply work hard with each one to the degree that he/she is able (has time), and whoever finds us the house we want to buy would get the contract. Our timeframe is going to be so short that I'm thinking we need to involve more than one realtor, beginning immediately, to help us find that special place. We have been told there is nothing wrong with this approach. What do you know about this, please?

We really appreciate your help! Anyone else have any suggestions about where we should look EAST of Asheville?? We'll be driving around and working with realtors full-time starting on Monday, so please tell us which areas you think we should explore.

We're looking for one or one-and-a-half levels, 2400 sq. ft. or so, breathtaking year-around long-range vistas, a low-maintenance acre or more, wood-burning fireplace, wildlife, mature trees, and quick and easy access to both Asheville and Black Mountain. Since we're no longer looking at high-end developments, probably any price point will work for us.

Thanks so much!!!

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
The unethical thing about working with multiple Realtors is that one would be paid for work others do. You should find one good Realtor and stick with them. In East Asheville communities like Beverly Hills, Haw Creek, Oteen, and Fairview would be good options. If you'd like the name of a Realtor in the area send me a note. That's my hometown and I have several connections in the area.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks, businessperson. Last year we worked with an excellent realtor we liked very much and have an appointment to see her tomorrow. We'd actually rather work with just one, are concerned only that this one won't have the time to pursue our project at the intense level we need. We realize that no good, in-demand realtor will have eight hours a day for us, but once a week isn't going to cut it, either. We'll talk about that with her tomorrow....

Old 02-10-2008, 04:42 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
How about using a Realtor who's part of a team? Lots of Realtors have recently teamed up so you really can get two for the price of one. They split the commission anyways.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM

92 posts, read 480,031 times
I don't think it would be unethical to work with multiple realtors if they know that is the case up front. The first one to show you a particular property is the one that gets the sale if you choose that one. The issue would be keeping track of who suggested or showed you a given property first. Seem like you probably couldn't handle more than 2 or 3 before it would get too complicated.

Hopefully the one realtor you're meeting with will understand your needs and timeline and work hard to find excellent properties that fit what you are looking for without wasting time on others. One thing you might do to help that is clearly tell them what you don't like / what is missing if they show you something that really doesn't fit. That keeps them from wasting your time and theirs.

If you don't get multiple realtors working on it, I'd sign on to one of the local real estate sites and do your own MLS searching. I think this has two benefits -- 1) it will help you clarify what you're looking for and 2) gives you a way to make some progress without sitting around hoping the realtor is going to come up with something. You can get pretty specific about price range, lot size, and locations. From that, pick the ones that look interesting. You could provide those as examples to the realtor or use Google Maps (or locator on the site if they have one) to locate the property and once you have a list of several in a given area, head out and take a look at the houses / areas on your own. If you see one that you'd like to see inside you can call your realtor and have them set it up. I'll send you a PM of a site that I've been using for info.

My guess is you'll probably get quite a bit of attention from your realtor though since you may be one of the few real buyers in the market right now that is ready to move quickly if you find what you want.

Good luck, wish I was looking......

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM

OHmygosh, THANK YOU, R.R.! We hope that you will put your feet under our table some day soon!!!

JAN

Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
Dear Parkies,
Congrats on being able to buy a house soon! I agree with Business who mentioned Beverly Hills, good modest neighborhood, some parts have views, you can take Hwy 70 to Blk Mt...same thing with Haw Creek, altho more rural. Also, Charlotte Street has very quick access to I240, which then you would have all-freeway to Blk Mt, so look again in the Grove Park neighborhood, top-notch area, most parts have views. Another little spot, but it's on the shady side of Beaucatcher, is up behind Innsbruck Mall, views. And at least look at the neighborhood on and to the east of Lake Tomahawk in Blk Mt, the views from the lake are stunning.
GG

Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
Eastmoor! Very near East AVL exit on I-40. Listings right now are ~$500k.

What are the benefits of working with multiple realtors? Why don't more people do it?

Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 29,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Is there anything illegal or unethical about working with two or three realtors at once in the process of finding a house to buy???Jan
Illegal? No
Unethical? Yes

I don't know what kind of work you do or used to do, but did your boss tell you he hired 2 or 3 people for the job and that whoever did the best job would get the pay check and the others get nothing?

If your worried about whether a single realtor has enough time for you then may I suggest 1 of 2 things are wrong.

1) The realtor doesn't know the right areas to show you and is general unfamiliar with the homes in your price/description range.

2) You haven't supplied sufficient information to the Realtor in order for them to show you the correct homes. True there are probably 100's of homes in a general range that are for sale, but a quality realtor who knows the inventory well should be able to narrow it down to a Top 10 or Top 20 list, which is very manageable. If they can't then find one who can.

my2cents

Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM

92 posts, read 480,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
OHmygosh, THANK YOU, R.R.! We hope that you will put your feet under our table some day soon!!!

JAN
You're welcome! I'll look forward to that one of these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina