Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 11:50 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,212 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is getting ready to retire to NC where she grew up. She's looking for a single family home around the Asheville area and surrounding spots within maybe an hour of Asheville. Anyone moving to this area or have already retired to this area? She's a very active 62 year old who enjoys joining groups and enjoys outdoor activities such as mountain biking. Any information would be greatly appreciated.! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
The median age in Flat Rock, NC is 64.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:49 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
A friend of mine is getting ready to retire to NC where she grew up. She's looking for a single family home around the Asheville area and surrounding spots within maybe an hour of Asheville.
There are dozens of towns and even more 'areas' within those towns within "an hour of Asheville"...

Anyone moving to this area or have already retired to this area?
Many posters on this forum have come 'here', from somewhere else; some of us are retired.

She's a very active 62 year old who enjoys joining groups and enjoys outdoor activities such as mountain biking. Any information would be greatly appreciated.! Thanks!
Most of us are active, regardless of our ages. Most of us enjoy outdoor activities of many categories. Western NC offers a literal menu of outside things to do, imo.

Many of the topics have been posted about/covered/opined numerous times...

Hit the Search This Forum Tab, upper right hand corner, type in Retire in Asheville and other similar phrases and you/your friend will find pages of threads on that and related topics. Search this forum is very informative and helpful, imo.
GL, mD

Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 PM

398 posts, read 498,270 times
What do you mean by "nice retirement community"? A gated, 55+ development, or an actual city of town?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:05 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
What do you mean by "nice retirement community"? A gated, 55+ development, or an actual city of town?
It would be helpful to know her price range. Single family houses in Hendersonville could range from the low $100K range to the $700-800K range. I was just looking at listings in Carriage Park which is gated and has amenities such as tennis, hiking and an indoor pool. Prices there range from the low $200K and up.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:07 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times
For Lot's of amenities and activities Linville Land Harbor and no I don't live or work there. It will be over an hour to Asheville but definitely a very doable day trip

Old 03-20-2016, 10:59 PM

15 posts, read 34,017 times
Franklin NC is about 1.5 hours from Asheville. We live here and am very pleased to have found this place 3 years ago due to attending college in Sylva; 25 minutes towards Asheville if you will. Gonna miss it when we leave due to graduation from college and likely job prospects elsewhere. In my opinion, this place sits almost in the center between Asheville, Knoxville, and for just a little further trip south, your in mighty Atlanta! Most people here are generally drama free and don't really act-out with the regular public "stress's of a normal day". There is a hard-ball asphalt trail called the Green-way that is split in two. One half of the trail consists of one mile north of the main-street bridge, and several miles to the south of it. Its a lot of trail for any normal person really. Many morning exercisers from walkers, joggers, and bikers, to include with dogs, utilize this trail, hence very popular during daylight hours yet never really seeming turn into an overcrowded inconvenience. No lights on the trail at night which would make it even neater I think, but whatever. The rest of the town has everything a town needs really, I think; several grocery stores, most of the fast food joints one expects a town to have, oh and a Walmart. I would say the things this town really lacks, which I honestly am very ok with but some just have to have THE best,, is that this towns movie theater is kinda a little bit on the small town type side, ie. not very big. I think it can play 3 movies at once. I think It does its purpose just fine though. This place does not have a "normal" large mall either,, hmm. Oh, and a large lake that you go water skiing on,,,, watever As for active retirement type of person, this place is surrounded by a lot of National forest trail walking/trekking as it sits near the Appalachian trail system. A couple of golf courses are in the ao also. Whitewater rafting and trout fishing till your heart is content. And "historic" clubs and walking clubs abound in the area as well. Oh, this place has its own hospital with air-evac chopper to boot. Telling ya, this place is the catz-snaz. We live within city limits soo EVERYTHING is within very convenient distance ie 5 minutes max to everything,,, ok, maybe 8,,, luv-it!! Oh it has an airport on the other side of the mountain too, lol. I would still recommend a few 3-4day weekday trips so as to really appreciate the hustle and bustle that this place doesn't have to deal with as compared to Asheville. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 AM

23 posts, read 35,061 times
Default Hendersonville is excellent!

My husband and I retired to Hendersonville a year ago. It has a vibrant downtown that is wonderful to walk around. There are many good restaurants and all the big box stores are here or within a 20 minute drive. Greenville, another great walking downtown, is 45 minutes away and Asheville is 35 minutes. We live on the west side near Laurel Park. There are a lot of smaller homes around town that are nicely kept ("cutesied" up), so walking around the neighborhoods is fun. There are many retirees here so we feel at home. The town is growing fast with new businesses opening up all the time. There is a Hendersonville magazine called "Bold Life", which has a website of the same name, that gives an idea of all the things to do here. We found our home on realtor.com which is kept fairly updated when a home goes under contract. We have lived in nine different states, and western NC is the best mix of weather, scenery and value. There was a bad snowstorm this winter (14") but that was unusual. Florida is a day trip away if you need to escape. I hope your friend checks this town out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina