U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 PM

126 posts, read 623,589 times

Advertisements

IWANNA - Online Classified Newspaper | The home of fully free personal classified advertising | Real Estate, Antiques, Jobs, Employment, Houses, Cars, FREE CLASSIFIED ADS. is a great place to find rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM

127 posts, read 405,702 times
Have you looked into Burnsville in Yancey county?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM

232 posts, read 336,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmors View Post
Have you looked into Burnsville in Yancey county?
Just make sure you bring your own teeth

Yeah...going to have to say a big NO on ever moving to Burnsville

Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM

416 posts, read 1,413,715 times
very curious....why a big no to burnsville?

we are considering a move to the area too..mars hill is on the list, as are some towns just outside of burnsville. would love to hear more.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM

108 posts, read 336,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
very curious....why a big no to burnsville?

we are considering a move to the area too..mars hill is on the list, as are some towns just outside of burnsville. would love to hear more.
I can't imagine why a big no to Burnsville. I moved here from CT last fall, and I love it! True, I was hoping to be closer to Asheville,... and the construction on Route 19 can be a pain,... and driving 30 miles round trip for a bottle of vino is ridiculous. But other than that I am very comfortable here. Bought a little old cottage in an established community and am quite content.

Mars Hill is certainly closer to the amenities of both Asheville and Johnson City, but there doesn't seem to be much to the town itself... not even a coffee shop. I don't get the sense of community I get here in Burnsville.

I recommend that you spend some time in the area ... rent a place and really get a feel for the various communities. I thought I wanted to be in Marshall, but now that I am here in Burnsville I might stay.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:17 AM

I relocated to Western North Carolina from the Raleigh area three years ago. I work in Weaverville and initially I limited my search for an affordable house with acreage to Buncombe and Madison counties within easy commute to Weaverville. At the time inventory was very low and prices very high. I expanded my search to include Burnsville. We found a log home on 6.5 acres with mountain views at a reasonable price and could not be happier. My commute to Weaverville is 35 to 40 minutes, which after living in both Atlanta and Raleigh is not bad at all. My wife house schools our 12 year old son and there is a very active homeschooling group in Burnsville. Burnsville does have a very strong sense of community. I would be hard pressed to talk my wife and son into living anywhere else.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:36 AM

i would love to hear more about the homeschooling comminity in burnsville if you or your wife has more info!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
i would love to hear more about the homeschooling comminity in burnsville if you or your wife has more info!
I am fmors wife and I homeschool our son. A couple of friends that I know from the county soccer program decided to start an informal home school group just over a year ago. Wow, the response has been wonderful and bigger than our wildest dreams! We must be up to 40 or 45 kids and 20 or more families. We just met today for the first time for this school year. On the last Friday of the month we have homeschool hangout at a church during the day where the kids play or hangout and the moms and some dads meet and exchange ideas and offer support to each other... The first friday of the month we have creative communications in the evening where the kids can make presentations of any kind before the group of the other kids and their families. Today we have decided to add a monthly indoor swimming outing and a monthly skating get together so with our other two meetings the kids can get together weekly. This is especially important for the middle school and older kids. Also we are thinking of having a "PE" class in the local gym twice a week that will be taught by a qualified parent. We had a float in the Christmas parade last year with a float that the kids made "Homeschool for the Holidays." We also do some field trips and had a few summer get togethers. it has been great.

Last edited by fmors; 09-25-2009 at 09:50 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 PM

thank you so much for your information! it is wonderful to hear about. right now we are in charleston and there is a large homeschooling community (surprise surprise!) and it is one of the things which will be hard to leave behind.... coops, weekly playdates, field trips, etc. i am wondering....is the group you are talking about is secular? or just religous (since you mentioned meeting at a church)? what i love about the group here in chas is it is open and accepting of all kinds of homeschoolers. also wondering if there are unschoolers in the area? maybe waldorf or enki inspired home learners? thanks so much for taking the time to write....

Old 09-26-2009, 12:52 AM

57 posts, read 135,516 times
Mars Hill is a very small town, and is good in some ways, and bad in others. The students can be alright, but there's a lot of vandalism at times. I would also not call it welcoming to anyone who does not fit the small town mind set, or the uber religious mentality. If you want anything in the evening, or need medical care, you'll have a long drive. I DO NOT recommend the medical center in MH. My friend had an extremely severe asthma attack, and the nurse told her it was ll in her head, and that they wouldn't treat her...and they didn't until I threatned them with a lawsuit.

MH is quiet, and does have some lovely spots, but housing is expensive. Most activities revolve around the school: football/sports, why I don't know, but eh. There's a small festival every fall, local craftsman, some who are good, some not. The theatre could be decent, but needs major renovations, as does the music building. Community wise, it always seemed to be standoffish, and there is a local only mentality.

Weaverville might be a better fit in all honesty.

Fairview would also be a very good choice. It's a small community below Asheville, but far enough out to not be in the everyday ratrace. Decent schools, exquisite scenery, good community. Fletcher would also be good, and housing is reasonable in both places. Black Mountain is near to Asheville, is very artsy, but expensive. Waynesville is an hour or so west of Asheville, and is very small. Some people like it, some do not...but it's a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina