Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:55 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

As much as I love Asheville, I simply can't afford to live there in a nice newer home. I'd take a 50% pay cut and home prices are now higher there than here in Seminole Co FL. Crazy! I wouldn't live in Asheville unless I had a combined income of higher than what we have now, and that won't happen unless I'm self employed or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 06:52 PM

142 posts, read 175,741 times
An increase in supply could help keep costs in check.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:38 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post

I think its important to keep some perspective though -- that median rent is still ridiculously cheap compared to other desirable places around the country.

When your income is not even close to being able to afford the rent in Asheville it isn't cheap at all.

Christine7910,

(Or have 2-3 jobs to pay it). OR you don't move to Asheville.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:28 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Rents seem to be going up everywhere. From what I'm seeing with the younger generations and such (I'm almost 40), anymore those from smaller towns and cities who are lucky enough to go away to college, trade school, or the military pretty much are stuck with moving to mid-sized or larger urban areas for work. Many mid-sized cities have went on building booms, via tax breaks and the like, to get companies to build downtown (or maybe some other target area) apartments and condos. Here in Indianapolis, over just the last five or so years, companies have built numerous apartment complexes, and I would say they are all high end. Originally the rents were $900-$1,000 for a one bedroom, now they are all $1,200 for a small one bedroom at any of the newer complexes. The complexes that are 20 years old are able to charge $1,000/month since the newer places are $1,200+ minimum. Unbelievable.

My wife and I just built a custom home, but we saved for ten years and are paying it off ASAP. You pretty much have to live frugal to some extent to have a nice home, but the vinyl boxes are fairly affordable in the suburbs. Even the vinyl village homes here in the burbs are running $1,000+ to rent, but at least you will get three or four bedrooms and some space. I've lived in Indiana my whole life, but I wouldn't mind moving to the Blue Ridge/Smoky Mountain area in ten years which is why I follow this forum. The more I read on this forum about Asheville/NC housing and such, the more I'm thinking we will likely end up near Knoxville. The downside is that since urbanization seems to be the trend anymore, I could see Knoxville area housing prices heading upwards. My only hope is that I can get a decent amount from our new home and get something somewhat decent if we do end up heading down to that area.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:32 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
for anyone who can offer some advice, how do these buyers brokers work ?
Do they charge a certain fee to " work" for home seekers while the search is in progress and what kind of fee do they charge the buyer if/when the broker finds a home for them ?
What if said home seeker finds a home via another source while he has employed the use of a buyer's broker at the same time ...say a realty company that the broker is not affiliated with ...then what happens?
I purchased 3 houses last year through a 1031 exchange. PM me and I will share my experience with you if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina