Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:37 PM

73 posts, read 120,162 times

Advertisements

I have to confess....I can't wait to see my first bear...preferably from a little distance....but I want to actually see such an awesome creature. The trail camera idea is great! When we get up there that's gonna be a must!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 PM

DCFairwind....as far as snakes I grew up on the coast of SC and still live here....you learn to watch where you put your feet and when your gardening where you put your hands. You also learn how to identify venomous snakes quickly. We will kill ven3mous ones if they are near the house but you need to be sure to let the good ones live. Don't be like my dad was....his theory was the only good snake was a dead snake. Many of them are very beneficial. Like everything else....educate yourself and learn to spot real danger and you can coexist nicely

Old 05-19-2016, 06:42 AM

411 posts, read 613,933 times
DC Fairwinds- Vermont has one venomous snake, and we have two. Your main concern will be copperheads. They like watery areas. We had a lot in our yard when we lived by a creek and had a water feature. Since moving to a home in a sunny field, we have seen none. A good rule is to keep compost enclosed, because compost attracts rodents, which in turn attract snakes. Also, eliminate hiding places such as large rocks. But, it's not like you're going to run into a poisonous snake at every turn. It just pays to remember they're out there and to be safe.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
We are on the side of a mountain and Copperheads up here too.Tough to move rocks as that is mostly what the mountains are :-) we have some house sized near us. Copperheads have been found in subdivisions in Charlotte. Stay alert NC has poisonous snakes just a part of life, learn to recognize them and don't put hands or feet where you can't see. Most snakes don't want to be near people and try to leave at least the rattlesnakes warn us.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:38 PM

The bad thing about copperheads is they can blend so well. They like to be under the azaela bushes. Here in the Charleston area we have all sorts of venomous snakes....several different rattlers.......copperheads.....water moccasins......even coral snakes (never personally seen one in the wild but I think I have actually seen all the others!). Everybody hunted whatever was in season all year. The only person I ever knew who got bitten was my aunt in her garden and it was by a small copperhead. The thing I really hate is walking in to a big spider web......do you have big banana spiders up there....the black and yellow ones that the body gets to be a couple of inches long? How about black and brown widow spiders?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:01 AM

411 posts, read 613,933 times
There are black widows and brown recluses. When I lived in Florida, there were tons of banana spiders building those huge webs between trees. Walking into one of those at night was horrible! I don't know if it's warm enough for banana spiders in this part of North Carolina (or maybe it is, but they just don't achieve that impressive size here).

Last edited by Susieisanartist; 05-20-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 06:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
^ Yes to both, even 'up here' at our higher elevation...
I actually see an occasional BW more often than a BR, though the BWs around our house tend to be infrequent and very small, and usually in a badly done web in a nook or cranny.

Have only seen a few BRs in 14 yrs, but I shake out any shoes/clothing first, esp the stuff in the garage that I use only occasionally, eg different outside shoes/rain stuff, et al.

Anecdotally, a good friend of ours that lived a bit lower down the mtn toward Laurel Ridge CC was bitten by a BR a few years ago and never fully recovered from it. Other complications and declining health led to her demise.

I wouldn't wring hands about spiders, or other insects or snakes: be aware, be careful and be lucky, as the serious critters in western NC are few, and simply defensive.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina