Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 AM

251 posts, read 244,464 times

Advertisements

So...we arrived last week and, of course, are still in love with the area. Staying in Weaverville but have gone into Asheville with the dogs a few times ( Carrier Park, Broad River Park (I think that's the name...beautiful park near Carrier with a dog park inside), Sunny Point Cafe (fabulous), etc), and went to Hendersonville on Sat. Also met with our realtor once to look at Asheville...too pricey, and meeting Tues to look in Weaverville. All in all its going well. Except for...the ticks. We have camped all over Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. Of the 3, AR was pretty bad. But I didn't realize how prevalent they would be here. We have been here a week and so far my husband has had 3 on him, I have had one, and our pug has had one. I expected some woukd be pissible when hiking but didn't expect them after just walking around town. The dogs are on a flea and tick killing monthly thing. My husband and I are spraying our shoes, clothes, etc with OFF. Plus checking twice a day. Is there anything else we coukd be doing? Also, is this a bad time of year for itor is it year-round? I am paranoid about Lyme Disease after knowing 4 people who have gotten it so I am a tiny bit freaked out.

Thanks so much for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
So far in this area biggest issue from ticks is Rocky Mnt. Spotted Fever very dangerous and potentially fatal. If you get bitten mark it on the calendar and check incubation period. Lots of information online about it. See a Dr. Immediately if you have any of the symptoms. We have lived in NC 28 years and a number of bites (we are outside a bunch) and no problems but better safe than sorry. This is high tick time will lessen as summer continues. Deer are moving back into the area so Lyme will be next I'm sure. Good luck house hunting in Weaverville, it is a great town and so close to Asheville for "big city" visits. I'm heading in tomorrow to do some volunteering, love the excuse to go to Asheville weekly.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 AM

I appreciate the input so much. Is there anything else that you do, preventatively, that we are not doing yet?

I love Weaverville. Love. We were so pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to get into Asheville. We ate at Blue Mountain Pizza last Wed and loved the place (and have been to Well Bred multiple times). My husband might get up on an upcoming open mic night ( always travel with guitar ).

Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I've lived here for 12 years with 4 dogs and 2 horses and I check the dogs a few times a day. It has NEVER been like this. This is the 1st time in 12 years I have ever seen a tick. It may have to do with the warm winter we had. I check myself a few times a day too. Reading other posts on city data it's bad in many areas...I read a long thread in the Maine forum. I even put front line on my biggest furriest dog three weeks after 1st dose. It's awful but uncommon at least in the High Country by Linville Falls...I hope the cold weather makes it better...keep checking you selves and your pets!!!!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Woikin' outside on our very steep, wooded 'yard', I have discovered a couple on me in the past couple weeks...

In previous years I might see one a year up here, even while wandering around in our very heavy woods/meadows that blanket our mtn top.

I suspect the warmer winter and early/warm Spring has had its effect on the tick pop.

Off, et al with DEET should help, but these bastards are evolving by the gen, and becoming more resistant every year.

Peel off clothes and check you full body/skin carefully. I don't know how to prevent ticks from getting on us, other than walking only on sidewalks and staying inside. Oh wait, that's what most of the kids are doing all day.
GL, mD

Old 05-16-2016, 10:43 AM

243 posts, read 477,650 times
If where you live allows it, get some chickens. Guinea fowl are even better, more entertaining, and.....a lot louder. I've heard cedar mulch helps...I even know someone who lines their fence line with it but I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

The old fashioned methods like just keeping covered then checking self when come in are still pretty effective. We have had a few deaths, including 2 kids since I've been here from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Ticks and mosquitos are the most dangerous animals in the world so take all necessary precautions. It's all about odds. 1 of 'x' bugs has disease 'y or z'. Person 1 does nothing and has 100 bites over his lifetime, person 2 does everything and has 5 bites. Both can get the diseases both person 1 is a lot more likely. Protect yourself.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyps View Post

I love Weaverville. Love. We were so pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to get into Asheville. We ate at Blue Mountain Pizza last Wed and loved the place (and have been to Well Bred multiple times). My husband might get up on an upcoming open mic night ( always travel with guitar ).
Did you love Weaverville more than Hendersonville? Just curious.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:53 PM

We honestly only visited Main St. in Hendersonville. It was nice and everyone loved our dogs But for us Weaverville is just more of what we are looking for . I would love to find something here.The proximity to Asheville is a big deal for us. We are really drawn to that vibe. Its what we are looking for so we would prefer to be closer rather than farther. Its just personal preference. But we are also just starting our search, you know? There are lots of variables to consider.... Housing costs is a big one.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyps View Post
We honestly only visited Main St. in Hendersonville. It was nice and everyone loved our dogs But for us Weaverville is just more of what we are looking for . I would love to find something here.The proximity to Asheville is a big deal for us. We are really drawn to that vibe. Its what we are looking for so we would prefer to be closer rather than farther. Its just personal preference. But we are also just starting our search, you know? There are lots of variables to consider.... Housing costs is a big one.

Check out Black Mountain also; only 15 miles to Asheville. Sweet town, great restaurants !

Old 05-16-2016, 04:08 PM

We will It is also on our list. Also bc it is closer to Lake James (we have a 19 ft sailboat that we would marina there) but still close to Asheville. It seems like inventory is low and a little pricey there but we aren't in a huge hurry. This trip is mainly to narrow down "where" ( but if we found sonething perfect its not inconceivable that we would buy it). Thanks for the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina