Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 5,223 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I look foward to meeting you all someday. I'm from northern new England and I am seeking a change. I was wondering if anybody could give me some information or knowledge about western North Carolina. I'm looking to move to north Carolina I currently live in a town with a population of approximately 7000 and I am looking for something smaller. I really want my space and a good community I like to get involved with my church and the people. I want to own land and get into a good community and also be around country music especially festivals and see new and upcoming artist. There is only a couple of must I need to be near great fishing for me it is a lifestyle, I also want to be near a good golf course or courses and somewhere I can get a decent job I want to stay away from the city but still be able to get my common necessities. I am planning to move with a couple of my buddies I want to be near a good farm community for I love to barbaque and I like quality product. I have heard that somewhere around the smokey mountain range is where is best but I want more specific. I am also in the national guard and I need to be withing a couple of hours of Greenboro. Any suggestions, recommendation, or thoughts please let me know thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 01:49 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Whew...thorough responses with answers and opins would be term paper length.

Budget? $200, $400, $500Gs?

Job and job skills?

Your "buddies" will live with you/pay rent and can find jobs?

Golf courses are all over the state, in every region, ranging from goat track munis to very high end private clubs.

Fishing is mostly stream/river in western counties, more lakes in central NC.

Small town(s), eg < 7,000 often have very little employment opportunities, other than min wage. In your other C-D area posts with the same question, you mention carpentry, but that trade is seldom found/decently paid in very small population areas.

The Smokies are 3-4 hrs from Greensboro, fwiw, as are the higher and cooler elevations, more similar to your NH situ. Good 'Que is ubiquitous, from one on every corner to backyard peeps.

Greensboro, for your Nat Guard duty is north central in state...belwo is a link with a 100 mile radius to Greensboro, which should equate to your need for being a couple hrs from Greensboro. Click on link, and click on map = place names/towns in that 100 mile radius. NC is a very large state, west to east, from serious Mtns in far western NC to the Atlantic ocean.

Need more specific info, but this forum gets a half dozen similar "I want to move to NC" threads per month, so many posters here will have some opins and ideas, but no job and no big dough to buy that house with land will prove to be discouraging.
GL, mD

100 mile radius GOOG Map of Greensboro:
click link, move hand icon to G'boro, click for area...

Draw radius circles on a map

Old 06-11-2016, 06:25 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codywoobs View Post
Hello everyone, I look foward to meeting you all someday. I'm from northern new England and I am seeking a change. I was wondering if anybody could give me some information or knowledge about western North Carolina. I'm looking to move to north Carolina I currently live in a town with a population of approximately 7000 and I am looking for something smaller. I really want my space and a good community I like to get involved with my church and the people. I want to own land and get into a good community and also be around country music especially festivals and see new and upcoming artist. There is only a couple of must I need to be near great fishing for me it is a lifestyle, I also want to be near a good golf course or courses and somewhere I can get a decent job I want to stay away from the city but still be able to get my common necessities. I am planning to move with a couple of my buddies I want to be near a good farm community for I love to barbaque and I like quality product. I have heard that somewhere around the smokey mountain range is where is best but I want more specific. I am also in the national guard and I need to be withing a couple of hours of Greenboro. Any suggestions, recommendation, or thoughts please let me know thanks.

West Jefferson meets most of your requirements. Finding a good paying job will be the toughest part.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,223 times
Thank you motor david I appreciate your time and effort to help. I have a budget limit of $150000 and I'm looking for a dream house maybe for the rest of my life I have carpentry skills for the most of it I'm only 20 but my job history dates back farther than most my age which looks very good on paper and my leadership speaks very highly of me. I have the ability to handle any schedule and deal with ubideal work habbits. I'm very committed and open to learn new trades. My buddies will beable to find work and they will be paying rent. I appreciate the link to as well it has helped alot. I do understand that employment is tough in small towns but I like the thought of possible contribution to my community and not to a large corporation with a sole purpose of profit I do what I do for a cause. If there is any more specifics that you would like to know feel free to ask I'm trying to narrow it down as much as I can it's a large area to choose within. Thanks very much for your support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina