Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 10:24 AM

642 posts, read 668,876 times

Advertisements

I am so over the personal fireworks that started easily a week ago or more and from our experience last year will continue for another week. They start every night around 9 and continue till close to 11. None of these people realize how disturbing that can be to some vets, small children or babies and animals domestic and wild? I love the 4th of July celebrations, the parades, speeches and the one night of fireworks is something I look forward to every year. But 2 weeks of it? It doesn't show patriotism it shows fascination with things that make noise and who has the bigger boom (implied reference intended). I'm obviously getting old and cranky because I want these idjits to get off my lawn!

Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,287 times
I feel the same way. This Saturday I was up until 1a listening to "bombs bursting in air". Last night was better, but I woke up to find my truck was littered with rocket residue! My neighbors didn't do a good job of aiming their toys, and my $40k vehicle had to pay the penalty. Good thing it didn't get damaged- or I would be making them pay for a new paint job!!

It seems to me that every year since the great recession, the ruckus gets worse and worse.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 AM

395 posts, read 462,422 times
Does anyone happen to know if it is legal to set off fireworks in a public park?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
Does anyone happen to know if it is legal to set off fireworks in a public park?
Only 'pros' as in hired licensed pyrotechnic experts, for parks or for 'anywhere' in NC if they are any kind that 'explodes or leaves the ground'. Sparklers and the like are OK...

I'm with above posters: the several days of M80s, Cherry Bombs, backyard Roman Candles, et al are wearing my grouchy ol' fanny out.

I did my share of firecrackers as a kid, but it was on July 4th, not a week early...

It is interesting to see the blooms of the exploding displays rising up from the ground way down the mtn 'below us', but I look forward to July 5th and beyond when things settle down.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 07-04-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Well any big fireworks are illegal in NC. It's very rarely enforced though.

I have dogs that loose their minds and it definetly seems like every year the fireworks last more and more days. This still isn't as bad as SC where it was a free for all though. I wish people had a little consideration.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 PM

642 posts, read 668,876 times
Glad I'm not the only curmudgeon in the group! Our 14+ yr old dog is a Katrina survivor, what they called swimmers because he was rescued from the water, and we believe because of the thunder from that storm, he always gets very frightened on the 4th. Not this year, though - his hearing is so bad now he sleeps right through! A small advantage to age, I guess.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:29 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,217,766 times
Where I live (in eastern NC), the same rednecks who drive pickups with the exhaust system modified to be so loud you can hear them coming and going for 5 miles in either direction, the same rednecks whose hobby is revving engines, not surprisingly, are the same ones who shoot off fireworks for a week or two.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:41 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times
I HATE everything about the Fourth of July (and New Year's). I have NOTHING to do with either. Fireworks, now that I think about it, are the primary reason for my intense hatred of these holidays.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:09 PM

395 posts, read 462,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Only 'pros' as in hired licensed pyrotechnic experts, for parks or for 'anywhere' in NC...
Phew - thank goodness! That means I can ask them to stop it. A lot of rather scary sounding fireworks have been going off in a park by our house and get shot way up into the air. I am concerned that one will go astray and into our yard and perhaps even damage the house. Those things sound like they would take off an arm or a leg if one of us got hit with it. Our poor dogs, too. They don't mind thunder, but fireworks has them asking to curl up in our laps, and with them weighing from 70 - 110lbs., well, there is no room for my friends on my lap and so I have no way, really, to make them feel safe. I will be SO glad when this is over!

Old 07-04-2016, 01:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,199 times
I don't like fireworks either. Last nite my 4 dogs were huddled around me trembling.
Picture 400 pounds of doggies all trying to get in my lap!!!!!!

Last edited by LiveLoveLaugh; 07-04-2016 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: to add something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina