Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakera View Post
I'm not sure I understand all the hype about Waynesville. I grew up in Sylva, which is about 25 minutes west of Waynesville and have been to Waynesville many times throughout the years. Even though it's a bigger town than Sylva, it's very backwoods. The amount of huge, gas guzzling, jacked up trucks is really disturbing, and the town is just overall trashy with not much more than rundown shopping centers and fast food places. Also, the overdevelopment is insane. I would suggest you go further east, towards Hendersonville, or further West where there are actually mountains still visible instead of covered by vacation rentals.
Kayakera, do you get to W'ville much these days? If so, where do you go? Are you lumping Maggie Valley in with your comments? I am just curious about the impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:56 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times
Default Checking out the Coast

We have booked a trip in May to check out the coastal area of South Carolina- from Charleston (Summerville) to Beaufort SC. If we don't like it we are going back to Western NC to look for the town we want to retire to. Having never been to coastal SC I felt we should at least check it out first before we settle down. I have to admit the history of Charleston is very interesting and the city looks gorgeous even though I would never chose to live in the city. So I'll post my impression when I return. Thanks to all for your opinions. Yes, I know it's as hot as hell down there. :-)
Patty

Old 03-02-2008, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,083 times
I am looking for the best of both worlds....I want a quiet, mountain atmosphere, but not a town without some vision and openmindedness. I also want the shopping, restaraunts, classes, etc that a bigger town would offer. I live in the Triangle now and work in healthcare, but am looking to simplify my life. I love the peaceful beauty of the mountains and like the idea of cooler summers. I'm 48 and widowed and would appreciate comments about the area

Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times
Karlak,
I'm 54 and my husband and I have been to Waynesville twice over the last 3 years. The views from the surrounding mountains are beautiful and Waynesville is a very small, sleepy town with a very slow pace of living. Even though Asheville is about 40 minutes away I'm not sure you'd have enough options for healthcare(I am in the healthcare field also), shopping will be very limited. Restaurants would probably satisfy, but definitely not the options you have now in the Triangle. We have serioulsy considered Waynesville, but I'm worried that Waynesville is at the opposite end of the spectrum from where I am now. I think I need something in the middle- not so crazy, hectic where I am now, but not so slow that I am bored to tears. I love the ocean as much as the mountains so now we are checking out the SC coastline from Charleston to Beaufort. I'm not sure I'll like it but, we're going to take a trip in May and see how we like it otherwise I might consider Hendersonville NC. It's lovely town, with a very quaint downtown area and Asheville is only a hop and a skip away. Good luck with your search.
Patty

Old 03-03-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlak View Post
I am looking for the best of both worlds....I want a quiet, mountain atmosphere, but not a town without some vision and openmindedness. I also want the shopping, restaraunts, classes, etc that a bigger town would offer. I live in the Triangle now and work in healthcare, but am looking to simplify my life. I love the peaceful beauty of the mountains and like the idea of cooler summers. I'm 48 and widowed and would appreciate comments about the area
KarlaK,

I came to the area for the same reasons in 2004. I was in Atlanta and just wanted to simplify and enjoy life. I was tired of rushing everwhere. I will be 48 this year. I love it here. Shopping is in Asheville and makes for a fun day trip. There is some in Waynesville, but it is a smaller town, so naturally, shoppring opportunities are smaller. It's not like living in the boonies, though. There are grocery stores, WalMart, Lowes, etc. You are well covered for basic kind of stuff. If you need a Gucci bag - you will probably have to make the drive to Asheville. I live closer to Asheville in Haywood County. I was in Waynesville, but got a job in S. Asheville and also needed more room for my dogs (and myself...)

Haywood Regional Med Center just outside of Waynesville just got smacked by losing their Medicare privileges. Big story in town these days. I don't like HRMC anyway, and have always encouraged anyone seeking care, or seeking employment to go to Asheville to Mission Hospital. It is top notch and the staff seems to be well cared for, job-wise, and on the ball. They are good-natured and skillful. They hire all the time. I bet they have a website with job opportunities on it.

Please PM me if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help. I really enjoy it here. Life is good.

Let me know if I can help you with anything, and best of luck to you - wherever you end up.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM

20 posts, read 79,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
Kayakera, do you get to W'ville much these days? If so, where do you go? Are you lumping Maggie Valley in with your comments? I am just curious about the impressions.

JBird:

When I do drive through Waynesville, it is always to either get gas on the way to Asheville, or head to Cataloochee. I take the Waynesville exit (can't remember the number) and the whole town is a debacle. The traffic is bad and it's like everything is really run down. The downtown area is pretty cute, though. Maybe just my "passing thru" impression. And don't take my opinions to heart on this matter. I've lived here for about 11 years and I've seen Waynesville area go from relatively small to the whole beautiful mountain covered with huge, tacky homes. It's just sad to me : (

But then again, that's why I don't live in Waynesville!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Overbuilt Mountains...

Kayakera, I enjoy hearing everyone's opinion, good or bad. I can definitely understand the issues associated with say, Laurel Ridge and Eagle's Nest (on the left as you get to W'ville). The summer foliage helps obscure it a bit, but in Winter, it looks like a suburban tract neighborhood (albeit with different designs) on the side of a mountain! House upon house upon house. I hate when folks don't think about what they are doing the the scenery like that.

I am pretty fond of Waynesville, but I enjoy the people as well as the area. I have made many friends since moving here in '04. Folks are friendly here. You are fortunate to be from such a wonderful place as Western NC.
Thanks for your response.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakera View Post
I've lived here for about 11 years and I've seen Waynesville area go from relatively small to the whole beautiful mountain covered with huge, tacky homes. It's just sad to me : (
While I don't at all condone the fact that Laurel Ridge/Eagle's Nest has become a playground for the rich with people trying to replicate their homes back in Boca Raton or wherever (would never live in Laurel Ridge even if I could afford it), it seems to me that this is a problem in many areas of western North Carolina, not just Waynesville.

Check out the thread titled "WNC overdevelopment" for some good discussions about this. You will find pictures of a large development being built -- I think it's near Hendersonville -- in which a mountain has, quite literally, been scalped. If what's happening in Waynesville breaks your heart, these pictures might make you physically sick.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 03-03-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 AM

Yes, I would have to agree that Waynesville doesn't have the worst of the scalping. There are other places that will make you weep when you see what irresponsible, slash-and-build techniques can do to this beautiful, beautiful area. Good post, Chisoxfan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
While I don't at all condone the fact that Laurel Ridge/Eagle's Nest has become a playground for the rich with people trying to replicate their homes back in Boca Raton or wherever (would never live in Laurel Ridge even if I could afford it), it seems to me that this is a problem in many areas of western North Carolina, not just Waynesville.

Check out the thread titled "WNC overdevelopment" for some good discussions about this. You will find pictures of a large development being built -- I think it's near Hendersonville -- in which a mountain has, quite literally, been scalped. If what's happening in Waynesville breaks your heart, these pictures might make you physically sick.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 PM

23 posts, read 166,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I have some experience here. Of couse, these are all my humble opinions... Nothing more, nothing less.

In 2003 - 2004, I began to have serious "Get out of Atlanta" thoughts. At that time, I was closing in on 44 years old. My choices were - coastal NC --I adore Carteret County, in NC - Morehead City, Beaufort, etc. (pron: bow-fort in NC... Bew-fort in SC) --used to live in coastal NC. I looked at homes, thought about it, and also pitted it against a potential move to the mountains at the Western part of the state. I had never lived in the mountains, but I just had fallen in love with Haywood County.

Eventually, it all boiled down to the fact that Western NC seemed to be more of a four-seasons type of place, vs. the beach and ocean towns 2 or 3 seasons at best. The mountains are beautiful in all weather, all seasons... the ocean is, as well - but you can't see it from everwhere in Carteret County. In Waynesville - one of the most beautiful views is from the parking lot of the Ingles on the hill (on Russ Ave). The views are everywhere, and for everyone, not just the well to do. Plenty to do in the area, in my opinion.

Haywood Regional Medical Center is in Clyde - just outside of Waynesville. Harris Regional Hospital is in Sylva, about 20 minutes away (over Balsam Mtn), and Mission / St. Joe's is a very reasonable 35 minutes away for a top notch, nationally rated heart hospital system.

Now keep in mind that I was used to the horrible commute times and traffic of Atlanta. I haven't dealt with anything even approaching that type of traffic since I have been here. I was commuting to Arden (S. Asheville near the Airport) from Waynesville every day. No complaints. 6 mos. ago, I moved to the Newfound Rd area of Canton - just inside the Haywood County border near I-40, as I wanted to be closer to Asheville, and I wanted a bigger yard. Now I am 25-30 minutes to work, and happy as can be. Waynesville is 15-20 min to my West for those "Art after Dark" celebrations on Main St.... and I regularly visit the coast when I need a salty breeze to refresh my senses.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. I brought two HS aged kids with me, and they enjoy it here as well. I wish you much happiness in whatever you do and wherever you may land.
I like the area you chose. I am making a counter offer on the sale of my house in WA. St. Am planning to be right where you are from my research. We won't have half as much money as all of you....so am thinking of buying an acre and starting a foundation. Wondering how to find the right piece at the right price w/view, privacy, etc. Have a friend in Asheville. The town sounds fun enough to visit every now and then, but too expensive and snotty dreaded folks to live there. Still want to avoid the dumbest of the hicks/rednecks, as well as gated communities. Really want a simple and safe life with some nice folks around. Please write and tell me more. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina