Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
maybe winston salem but the no humidity and pollen thing kinda rules out the east coast imo

charlottesville?
greenville sc?
Plenty of pollen in Greenville, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Hendersonville is your place. Live at 3K feet and never see 90F. No bugs either. Hendersonville has many festivals from late Spring thru Fall and has a lot of restaurants and grocery stores. Hendersonville High (the one in town) was listed as a top 1000 high school in 2015. Most of the shopping in Asheville is on the South side so you are closer than you think. Greenville, SC is 35 miles away and the 4 lane from Hville to Gville is never as busy as 26 between Hville and Asheville. Unfortunately there are a lot of retired people in Hville, Flat Rock and Asheville.

If you want to live somewhere that it never snows and the temperature range is 30 degrees (42-72), no humidity, no bugs and no state sales taxes, consider the coast of Oregon. If you are in the Cannon Beach/Manzanita area you are 90 miles from Portland. Portland can get to 100 but Cannon beach will be 68-70. If you are around Florence you will be 55 miles from Eugene. Eugene and Ashland are really nice. Very short Winter, no humidity, no bugs, and great towns.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:49 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
If you want to stay on the east coast and have the majority of what you are looking for, you are in the right vicinity. I do think Hendersonville or Arden would be a good choice for you. I was also going to mention Charlottesville, Va but it definitely gets colder there and more snow. I think your biggest issue is humidity and mosquitoes. Unfortunately, you're not going to dodge those on the east coast. That being said, neither are near as bad as ATL. You will notice a considerable difference in the weather. Even when we go to Asheville from Greenville, SC, you can notice a difference. It's kind of confusing what you wrote because you say you don't think WNC is for you. You can find just about all that you are asking for in WNC. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2016, 01:53 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Hendersonville is your place. Live at 3K feet and never see 90F. No bugs either. Hendersonville has many festivals from late Spring thru Fall and has a lot of restaurants and grocery stores. Hendersonville High (the one in town) was listed as a top 1000 high school in 2015.....
Hendersonville itself is about 2200 ft.
They were four days last month in the 90's.
Hendersonville July Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for NC 28792

Old 08-04-2016, 02:05 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,491 times
I'll take 4 days in the 90s as opposed to what we have just down the mountain. I'm not sure we had 4 days in the last month that WEREN'T 90+ degree days.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:12 PM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Hendersonville is your place. Live at 3K feet and never see 90F. No bugs either. Hendersonville has many festivals from late Spring thru Fall and has a lot of restaurants and grocery stores. Hendersonville High (the one in town) was listed as a top 1000 high school in 2015. Most of the shopping in Asheville is on the South side so you are closer than you think. Greenville, SC is 35 miles away and the 4 lane from Hville to Gville is never as busy as 26 between Hville and Asheville. Unfortunately there are a lot of retired people in Hville, Flat Rock and Asheville.

If you want to live somewhere that it never snows and the temperature range is 30 degrees (42-72), no humidity, no bugs and no state sales taxes, consider the coast of Oregon. If you are in the Cannon Beach/Manzanita area you are 90 miles from Portland. Portland can get to 100 but Cannon beach will be 68-70. If you are around Florence you will be 55 miles from Eugene. Eugene and Ashland are really nice. Very short Winter, no humidity, no bugs, and great towns.
I visited Hendersonville during my trip to AVL last year, and my impression was that it is quite conservative, and rather small. It felt like a small town, compared to AVL, at least to me. I wouldn't consider it politically moderate, if that's what you are looking for. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Re: Oregon, keep in mind that the state taxes are high, since they have no sales tax. A better bet might be to live in Washington State, maybe just over the state line in Vancouver, WA, across from Portland, where there is no state income tax, and have access to Portland for its no sales tax and its amenities, restaurants, etc. Just a thought based on your list of what you are looking for. Oregon is a beautiful state, as is the entire Pacific NW. Western NC is also beautiful. I do think that humidity is a huge problem in the Portland area and likely anywhere in western Oregon, given the persistent rainfall. Check out the Portland forum on city data.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
I visited Hendersonville during my trip to AVL last year, and my impression was that it is quite conservative, and rather small. It felt like a small town, compared to AVL, at least to me. I wouldn't consider it politically moderate, if that's what you are looking for. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Re: Oregon, keep in mind that the state taxes are high, since they have no sales tax. A better bet might be to live in Washington State, maybe just over the state line in Vancouver, WA, across from Portland, where there is no state income tax, and have access to Portland for its no sales tax and its amenities, restaurants, etc. Just a thought based on your list of what you are looking for. Oregon is a beautiful state, as is the entire Pacific NW. Western NC is also beautiful. I do think that humidity is a huge problem in the Portland area and likely anywhere in western Oregon, given the persistent rainfall. Check out the Portland forum on city data.
It does not rain in the Summer in Oregon. Low humidity, no bugs and cool nights (50s). Portland and the cities along 5 can have hot days, but the dew point never gets out of the 50s. If you are on the coast, it really never gets above 75F or below 45 except on rare occasions. As far as the dew point, in Portland, it rarely gets to 60 even in the Summer. Stays in the 30s in the Winter. Not like the East Coast at all.
Agree with you regarding Vancouver, WA. Lots of Portland people are moving there because of the reasons you stated.

I myself prefer Ashland or Eugene. Ashland is 5 hrs from SFO and has it's own ski mountain, great town and lots of interesting people. Small but nice.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Hendersonville itself is about 2200 ft.
They were four days last month in the 90's.
Hendersonville July Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for NC 28792
You can easily live at 3K feet in either Flat Rock or Hendersonville. I do.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,497 times
I can't address everyone's responses individually, but did want to pop in a note to say I have read and genuinely appreciate everyone's input! Like most things, on paper (or stats on a PC screen as it may be) things may look one way, but from the people who live and do it everyday, you get a whole 'nother story. I appreciate everyone taking time to post.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
From your wish list, Loveland, Colorado.

Ooops, never mind. The house I sold there in 1984 for $60K just sold for $270K !! And I didn't think it was worth the $33K I paid when I first bought it.

Last edited by Last1Out; 08-07-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina