Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,799 times

Advertisements

Would anyone care to give a general breakdown of what kind of schools, pace of life, politics and level of affluence that one might find in the city of Asheville, as well as the surrounding areas? We moved to Greenville, SC from California with our two young children about a year ago. This is not at all what we were hoping for and we are done. We have seen and heard great things about Asheville and we are considering a move. We are hoping that what we have heard is true so, that we can stop uprooting our kids. It is so hard to make a truely informed choice of where to live based on a couple, week long, "scouting" trips to a new place. We will be driving up as often as we can to actually participate in the daily life (learning high traffic times, walking around downtown, catching a Tourist game, driving through neighborhoods, etc.). We are in our mid 30's with a 3 year old, an 18 month old and a just plain old dog. We are looking to spend up to $300k on a house, my wife is a nurse employed in Greenville (for now) and will be commuting back there 3 days a week until something opens up at Mission. I am a self employed residential remodel contractor. Any info that you all can provide would help point us in the right direction. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 PM

8,102 posts, read 6,744,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRENOVATIONS View Post
Would anyone care to give a general breakdown of what kind of schools, pace of life, politics and level of affluence that one might find in the city of Asheville, as well as the surrounding areas? We moved to Greenville, SC from California with our two young children about a year ago. This is not at all what we were hoping for and we are done. We have seen and heard great things about Asheville and we are considering a move. We are hoping that what we have heard is true so, that we can stop uprooting our kids. It is so hard to make a truely informed choice of where to live based on a couple, week long, "scouting" trips to a new place. We will be driving up as often as we can to actually participate in the daily life (learning high traffic times, walking around downtown, catching a Tourist game, driving through neighborhoods, etc.). We are in our mid 30's with a 3 year old, an 18 month old and a just plain old dog. We are looking to spend up to $300k on a house, my wife is a nurse employed in Greenville (for now) and will be commuting back there 3 days a week until something opens up at Mission. I am a self employed residential remodel contractor. Any info that you all can provide would help point us in the right direction. Thanks!

I moved here from NYC. The pace of life is much slower. However there is plenty to do and I am not bored at all. Traffic has gotten worse in the past 6 years since I've been here, however the worse day in Asheville is much, much better than the best day in NYC. Most people that I run into in the city center seem to lean liberal.
However I do run into conservative as well. I run into more conservative people outside the city center. I get along with everyone so neither bothers me. No one really tries really hard to bring anyone else to the other side, it's basically live and let live.

300 K is not a lot of money close in to Asheville. Look in Arden, Weaverville, Fletcher, Fairview for a better bargain. Also there are many, many contractors working here so be prepared for competition.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,605,465 times
Multiple posters more or less answered the same questions in your first thread.

IMO, you/your spouse are unhappy because you live in Easley - this has nothing to do with Greenville. The only pro to Easley is the amount of house one can get for their money.

Again: move to the city limits of Greenville. The Augusta Road, Parkins Mill, and downtown districts all have numerous reno's and tear-downs - real estate is on fire in these areas. You should have plenty of work there.

As for public schools: move out of Pickens County (SC) to Greenville County. The Greenville County (SC) School district is superior (overall) to Buncombe County (NC) schools (my opinion only). Greenville County is the largest school district in the state of SC (and 47th in the country). GC has 76K students compared to BC's 25K students. The sheer breadth of schools (IB, STEM, Arts, Charter, Tech, etc etc) trumps anything in the Asheville metro. GC spent $1 billion in the mid-2000's to renovate or rebuild all of its schools.

Lastly, the overall economy in Upstate SC is larger/more diverse than Asheville. Greenville is fortunate to have 2 competing giant hospital systems (GHS and St Francis; I do not mention SRMC or AnMed) - Asheville only has Mission. Because of this competition, I've witnessed (first-hand) a competitive push to higher salaries with health professionals.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:09 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRENOVATIONS View Post
What don't you like in Greenville that you'd like to see different in Asheville? It's OK to be honest. That way others can help you better and point you in the right direction.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:44 AM

119 posts, read 173,302 times
You will get people who love Asheville and people who hate it. Ahseville is a mix of people. To me there seems to be more Artsy, holistic, earthy trypes here. Not saying it is a bad thing. You also have more people wanting to go more farm to table kind of thing as well, which I do love.

I have not had many good experiences here in Western NC. I have talked to many people who feel the same as me and many who love it here. I have visited Greenville and I really liked it, but there are a few things I found that I know I would not like, if I lived there, one being the heat.

I am a Yankee girl from CT, for me I would rather move back up north (not CT, too expansive). I really miss the fall season, sorry but NC's fall does not even come close to comparing to fall in New England.

My advice is to do a ton of research before you move. Visit as much as you can at different times of the years, days of the week and hour of the day.

And I agree with Above Average Bear, $300,000 is not a lot here in Asheville. You are looking at about 1,300 sqft with .14-.25 ac of land and most likely it will be in a subdivision. I have been looking for either a house or land in Buncombe county and Henderson county for over a year and half. Most homes around here if not new, need a lot of updating and they are already at or close to max budget.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:37 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
^^^ I am a chick from New England, and you could not PAY me enough to move back there. All of the northeast is expensive, crowded, stressful, liberal, etc.

Maybe you should try New Hampshire Christine, you'll get some decent Falls there. Along with some decent heating bills.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:11 PM

8,102 posts, read 6,744,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
You will get people who love Asheville and people who hate it. Ahseville is a mix of people. To me there seems to be more Artsy, holistic, earthy trypes here. Not saying it is a bad thing. You also have more people wanting to go more farm to table kind of thing as well, which I do love.

I have not had many good experiences here in Western NC. I have talked to many people who feel the same as me and many who love it here. I have visited Greenville and I really liked it, but there are a few things I found that I know I would not like, if I lived there, one being the heat.

I am a Yankee girl from CT, for me I would rather move back up north (not CT, too expansive). I really miss the fall season, sorry but NC's fall does not even come close to comparing to fall in New England.

My advice is to do a ton of research before you move. Visit as much as you can at different times of the years, days of the week and hour of the day.

And I agree with Above Average Bear, $300,000 is not a lot here in Asheville. You are looking at about 1,300 sqft with .14-.25 ac of land and most likely it will be in a subdivision. I have been looking for either a house or land in Buncombe county and Henderson county for over a year and half. Most homes around here if not new, need a lot of updating and they are already at or close to max budget.
Also if you find a house that you like at 300K you better act fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina