U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2016, 05:54 AM
 
Location: NC
2,668 posts, read 1,597,859 times
Reputation: 6824

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl16 View Post
Hey guys ... I'm also looking at those same towns. Sue, what you are looking for sounds eerily like what I am looking for - but I need warmth in the summer. I'm out on an island in the NW right now and 67 for summer isn't warm enough for me! I want tourism for biz, forward thinking and LIFE. Also would like a Target reasonably close - right now it takes me all day and a ferry ride to run errands and get to a mall or civilization! Brevard? Blowing Rock? Hendersonville? I'm 59 and going solo with the dogs ... certainly don't want to feel like I'm living in a retirement community (as I do now). Want family-friendly cuz I tutor/teach and love kids and also have a dog biz and think I'd like to open a B&B (so tourism is a big factor). Also natural beauty is a must. Love mtns, hills, trees and some sort of water. I'm not conservative but I am traditional and would like some ceremony and gentility in life and would enjoy celebrating holidays other than solstice! Would just like to be in a place that is welcoming, has friendly, neighborly people that would love a pot luck or to gather for a street bbq or a glass of tea on a porch. Want a cute downtown and a good neighborhood feel. And, a college town/music venue wouldn't be too bad either! Suggestions?

I think you are probably going to have to give up on some of your wants in order to get others. You need a decent population in order to sustain a business, but most of the places with decent population (Hendersonville, Waynesville, Asheville) won't have the small town, neighborhood feel. Yes, they all have downtown areas but what you are describing is almost like a family friendly subdivision.

Hendersonville is a nice town. It's warmer than some of the other mountain towns, but that sounds like what you might be looking for. It's got a decent population and has a lot of tourism. Target isn't too far away, less than 30 minutes. It's more conservative than Asheville, from what I've seen. It's got a great downtown. If you don't want to live in Asheville, then I think Hendersonville might be your best option.

Blowing Rock is likely way too small to sustain a business. It's an adorable little town and I've enjoyed going there, but it's very small. Boone is right around the corner but I don't think it's what you are looking for, either. It's a college town and it's nice, but again, I don't think it's big enough to sustain a business.

I love Brevard! We would have moved there in a heartbeat, except we also have a business and needed to be near an area with a higher population to sustain our business (our business is pet related). Brevard has a lot of your "wants", though Target is a bit further away. It's small, though not as small as Boone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2016, 02:26 PM
 
2,393 posts, read 2,903,656 times
Reputation: 2325
Waynesville is 45 minutes to Asheville and there are no close towns around Waynesville, grocery and all shopping is limited, so don't expect to find an Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter there. They are in Asheville. Brevard is an hour from Asheville and has, IMO, less shopping than Waynesville. You will be going to Hendersonville often if you live in Brevard. Most of the shopping in Asheville is on the South side of Asheville on 25 or as far north as the Mall. Hendersonville is 20+ miles South of Asheville shopping and there is lots of shopping in between and in Hendersonville. The downtown is more active and there are festivals a lot of weekends during the late Spring and Summer and music every Friday night.

The Northern Appalachians (Boone, Blowing Rock, etc.) IMO, are not as pretty as the Southern Appalachians (Asheville and surrounds) and the Winters are colder with more snow, if that matters.

Greenville, SC is a short 35 minute drive from Flat Rock/Hendersonville on a 4 lane highway, where there is a ton of shopping.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 03:37 PM
 
11,116 posts, read 16,494,678 times
Reputation: 10087
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl16 View Post
Hey guys ... I'm also looking at those same towns. Sue, what you are looking for sounds eerily like what I am looking for - but I need warmth in the summer. I'm out on an island in the NW right now and 67 for summer isn't warm enough for me! I want tourism for biz, forward thinking and LIFE. Also would like a Target reasonably close - right now it takes me all day and a ferry ride to run errands and get to a mall or civilization! Brevard? Blowing Rock? Hendersonville? I'm 59 and going solo with the dogs ... certainly don't want to feel like I'm living in a retirement community (as I do now). Want family-friendly cuz I tutor/teach and love kids and also have a dog biz and think I'd like to open a B&B (so tourism is a big factor). Also natural beauty is a must. Love mtns, hills, trees and some sort of water. I'm not conservative but I am traditional and would like some ceremony and gentility in life and would enjoy celebrating holidays other than solstice! Would just like to be in a place that is welcoming, has friendly, neighborly people that would love a pot luck or to gather for a street bbq or a glass of tea on a porch. Want a cute downtown and a good neighborhood feel. And, a college town/music venue wouldn't be too bad either! Suggestions?
I may have said this before ... if so, it is worth repeating.

Investigate Weaverville and Black Mountain; either one may just be your cup of tea. Either is less than 20 miles from downtown Asheville, quaint downtowns, plenty to do, excellent business climate, excellent highway access -- entertainment, culture, and shopping galore within those parameters. Best wishes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 AM
 
12 posts, read 19,630 times
Reputation: 44
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately due to family circumstances I was unable to make my trip when planned, but my flight is now booked! I leave on May 13th, direct flight into Charlotte, and return on May 19th. Getting a rental car.

Thinking it might be best to make one place my base (Black Mtn perhaps) and travel from there, or perhaps split the trip into two bases.

I've already checked out many vacation rentals for Feb & March of 2018 - lots take pets so that's great. Can't find much below $1600 a month but will attempt to Air b'nb my place.

For now, just planning to come out and get a better feel for the place. If there's anything going on in that timeframe I should check out, please let me know.

PS. We just got 12" of snow here in Vermont!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 549 times
Reputation: 10
Default WNC options

Look at Burnsville (another B). The Penland Arts complex is nearby, as is Spruce Pine, that needs its theater renovated. Mitchell County Animal Shelter is steps from Burnsville, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM
 
11,116 posts, read 16,494,678 times
Reputation: 10087
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTaylorVT View Post
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately due to family circumstances I was unable to make my trip when planned, but my flight is now booked! I leave on May 13th, direct flight into Charlotte, and return on May 19th. Getting a rental car.

Thinking it might be best to make one place my base (Black Mtn perhaps) and travel from there, or perhaps split the trip into two bases.

I've already checked out many vacation rentals for Feb & March of 2018 - lots take pets so that's great. Can't find much below $1600 a month but will attempt to Air b'nb my place.

For now, just planning to come out and get a better feel for the place. If there's anything going on in that timeframe I should check out, please let me know.

PS. We just got 12" of snow here in Vermont!


Sue, why are you flying into Charlotte? You're looking at maybe 2-1/2 hr. drive to get to Asheville or Black Mtn. Suggest you get a connection and use the Asheville airport which puts you in a good spot to look in Hendersonville, possibly Waynesville, Brevard, Black Mountain, Weaverville -- etc. A 25 mile radius of Asheville seems like what you are looking for. Burnsville is 'cute' but fairly remote.


Driving back and forth to the Charlotte Airport will take one day each way out of your travel time. It's 2 hrs. just to Hendersonville from CLT. Also, there may be some construction along I-26. Suggest you stay somewhere between Hendersonville & Asheville, plenty of very nice motels in those areas within a short radius of the AVL airport. Will save you time on the car rental also.


Best wishes, enjoy your trip ! ......... and leave that snow in VT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 06:05 PM
 
3,325 posts, read 1,474,553 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sue, why are you flying into Charlotte? You're looking at maybe 2-1/2 hr. drive to get to Asheville or Black Mtn. Suggest you get a connection and use the Asheville airport which puts you in a good spot to look in Hendersonville, possibly Waynesville, Brevard, Black Mountain, Weaverville -- etc. A 25 mile radius of Asheville seems like what you are looking for. Burnsville is 'cute' but fairly remote.


Driving back and forth to the Charlotte Airport will take one day each way out of your travel time. It's 2 hrs. just to Hendersonville from CLT. Also, there may be some construction along I-26. Suggest you stay somewhere between Hendersonville & Asheville, plenty of very nice motels in those areas within a short radius of the AVL airport. Will save you time on the car rental also.


Best wishes, enjoy your trip ! ......... and leave that snow in VT.
We usually fly into Charlotte because we can fly into/out nonstop. It's an easy 1 hour and 45 min. to Hendersonville/Flatrock. The airfares into/out of Asheville are usually more expensive, require a connection, and most airlines only fly small jets into there. Southwest flies into Greenville airport, but it requires a connection; is only about a 40 min. drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 PM
 
11,116 posts, read 16,494,678 times
Reputation: 10087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We usually fly into Charlotte because we can fly into/out nonstop. It's an easy 1 hour and 45 min. to Hendersonville/Flatrock. The airfares into/out of Asheville are usually more expensive, require a connection, and most airlines only fly small jets into there. Southwest flies into Greenville airport, but it requires a connection; is only about a 40 min. drive.


Liza, The OP will appreciate learning about your experiences. I've stated my own personal experiences from living in Hendersonville and traveling through all the NC airports for over 14 years. Asheville is a very nice convenient airport, and growing as evidenced by the nice new garage parking which was definitely needed. If Sue wants to be based in Black Mountain, she will experience a much longer drive, especially if she uses the interstate. 2-1/2 hrs., can hardly be any less.

Thank you for your, but your own experiences will be valuable in a direct reply to Sue's post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top