Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:36 PM

411 posts, read 614,461 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know much to do around Abingdon, VA, besides roaming the town and going to The Barter Theatre? I'd like to bike the Virginia Creeper Trail, but that only takes up a day. I'm not interested in the Tri-Cities area, because I grew up there and visit all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 02:39 PM

Oops, sorry Opt-Out. I was posting while you were posting. Thank you for your information!

Old 08-28-2016, 02:50 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
You can skip the interstate thru NC and TN and go up thru the Cumberland Gap
That's an interesting suggestion but I think they need to cross the mountains on I-40 if all lanes are clear. But they could go north on I-81 a few miles to 25E to Cumberland Gap. The town of Cumberland Gap is a quaint tiny village if they want to stretch their legs, but the Park itself isn't different enough from the NC Mountains. If they had time on the way home they could detour through Downtown Morristown which is unique because it has a system of 2nd floor walkways. If the OPs have an interest in urban planning, otherwise it's not much of a destination.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieisanartist View Post
Does anyone know much to do around Abingdon, VA, besides roaming the town and going to The Barter Theatre? I'd like to bike the Virginia Creeper Trail, but that only takes up a day. I'm not interested in the Tri-Cities area, because I grew up there and visit all the time.
Abingdon is very quaint, cute town, maybe the size of downtown Brevard. I would say 2 hrs. from here maybe. I would describe it as a place to stop on the way to somewhere else.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:04 PM

That's how I remember Abingdon: super cute, but not tons to do.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:21 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
I used to drive through the Cumberland Gap on many trips to KY. It's a pretty drive and pleasant, but I never stopped except further up the road at Berea.

I agree about Abingdon... other than biking the VA Creeper Trail (which I LOVE) there's barely a day's worth of sightseeing.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:23 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,791 times
Try building a nice road trip for yourselves by tying interesting sites and areas that you haven't seen or visited. For instance, the Lost Sea Adventure in Sweetwater, Tennessee makes a nice day trip, then hop over to Robbinsville for the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest for some very nice hiking and viewing. While in that area stop by the Deals Gap resort on 129 where sports car and motorcycle enthusiasts try to slay the Tail of the Dragon. Don't miss the Tree of Shame and stories that go with it. From there head a little south to Blue Ridge, Georgia to see the sights there and take a nice train ride to see how towns left for dead are reviving and making a comeback, some very interesting recent history there. There's loads to see all around us and a lot of it much closer than you think. I was curious as to why a town was named "96" and had to find out. It was worth the drive.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 PM

I want to thank you all for helping me out with suggestions. After days of my researching, note-taking, and planning, my husband said he'd just as soon just go down to Myrtle Beach!! I guess we're heading to the ocean, after all.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:44 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Are you still heading to the beach with the hurricane warnings this weekend?

There's a cold front predicted in TN so the weather will be better than it has been, and KY /OH should be very pleasant weather wise.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:35 PM

I think we'll wait and see what happens. Inland is looking better and better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina