Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 06:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeavision View Post
David, if you don't mind me asking, what plan do you have? You mention its tolerable to ok. I was also informed that trees could interfere with the service if there are many of them between you and the tower. From skycam it looks like you are almost completely surrounded with trees. I'm not sure what tower your connected to however for us the tower is on top of one of the highest peaks near Ghost Town. I can't remember which one however we had ours tested and our signal/line of sight appears very strong so far.
OT, slightly...

We have their '5 x 5' plan, eg ~5Mb down/5Mb up...but, our service was previously with 3db Wireless which was sold to Skyrunner early this Spring.

With the former 3db Wireless company, it was also ~ 5 & 5, though it rarely ran at 5 down and never at 5 up, and we experience the same kind of low 'performance' with Skyrunner.

Long story longer: we got home in April. I had sent an email to fire up our internet as usual and it was on and waiting for us. Never got the usual monthly charge from 3db for a couple months and I happened to notice a local newspaper article that it was absorbed by SR. So, I called SR and left message that I wanted to say Hi, pay, etc.

Two fookin weeks later, 'Josh', (maybe the owner or mgr), calls me and says yes my plan with them will be $75 a month. I point out I was paying $50 a month for less than 5/5. He tells me their $50 deal is only 3 & 3.

I discuss it a bit, but he acts like a laid back Calif surfer guy from the '70s and then says 'Well, we will try you out for a month". Really...I give him my CC card and tell him to bill me by the month for $50 for 5&5 even though it isn't really 5 x 5. He could not have cared less...biz must be booming. He was less enthused than the cable company idiots we have with Comcrap in FL.

NEway, we still have it as there is very little other choice, up here.

We have complete clear line of sight from our 2 1/2 story high antenna shooting across to the Doc's house on the mtn across the valley from us. (His house is a 'repeater' antenna we were told years ago.)

That's my SR story. Their web site is inviting, they get decent reveiws, they are pricey imo, and the Josh I spoke with could not have cared less about me. None of their stuff/plans will work for the OP...
GL, md
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:07 PM

27 posts, read 30,004 times
Yeah, we're kind of spoiled at our other home down here in Florida with Brighthouse. We get lighting 100 which is about 114mbps down and 12mbps up with unlimited data for about half of what Skyrunner is charging us. Of course we have our TV & phone bundled with Brighthouse also which keeps the price down some and all on one bill. But now that Charter bought them out we expect that will start to change in the next few years as Brighthouse is rebranded as Spectrum. There is rumors they will eventually drop the bandwidth to 50 with data caps and start raising rates to pay off the $25 billion debt they inherited after purchasing Brighthouse and Time Warner.

We had looked around for places in the mountains with fiber optic service but its just not readily available at higher elevations where we are. Almost every cable company up there we've spoken to just tells us there is simply no demand for it to justify the cost in equipment and labor to get cable that far up. I do know Yancey and Mitchell counties are pursuing fiber optic services throughout the area but whether they extend that to all developments high up in the mountains is hard to imagine for now. Maybe in another 10 years or so perhaps.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 AM

7 posts, read 3,281 times
Same challenge with working from home--we've had both Charter and ATT's U'verse in the general area as well as skyrunner when we had a commercial location in Asheville. Sometimes, there's no choice. We use the Verizon MiFi as a backup--luckily haven't needed very often.

Greenville SC is about an hour from Asheville and has most of the big box stores.

Online ordering is my friend--Amazon Prime rocks.

Good luck with your move!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 AM

5 posts, read 3,279 times
I currently have Time Warner and while they are touted as a crappy corp I have had 0 complaints for them for as long as I have been a customer. Asides from work we are cord cutters and most of our content revolves around having a solid connection (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Torrenting, Steam, etc). We still have plenty of time until this big move but I just wanted to do my due diligence in scouting ahead.

Shopping wise, unless I find a really good deal or I need it immediately, I will order it through Amazon. Having a big box store is a plus but not a deal breaker for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina