Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:35 AM

96 posts, read 113,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
I'm a little further west, over in Franklin. We bought the place here in 2008 and moved up full time in 2010. I still have the house in Valrico, just east of Tampa, and visit it maybe twice a year to see my grandkids who live there now. We had been looking and staying in Brevard before we took the plunge, Franklin is more centrally located to a ton of outdoors stuff and was perfect for us. I was concerned about moving to small town, rural America but that was nothing more than a lot of wasted worry. We lived in Valrico for 20 years and loved it there but we have no desire to go back at all.
Thanks so much for the comment, this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Just gathering thoughts from real life experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
It's getting late so I will respond more in detail later. But Ive moved back and forth. We are in Oviedo but lived near Hendersonville as well. We are originally from FL.

PROS AND CONS TO BOTH: I like BOTH FOR DIFFERENT REASONS AND DISLIKE CERTAIN THINGS. sorry for the all caps. Lol. I like Hendersonville in that is quiet and scenic. The people are very friendly for the most part. I like the 4 seasons although in the winter I get tired of it. What I don't like is that in my opinion, there isn't much to do. But if you're older maybe it's not that important to you. For us, there's a lot more to do down here in FL. beaches, pools, parks etc. I loooooove going to New Smyrna Bch and going to the beach or staying at places on the beach with a pool. We take our kids to Disney and Universal, etc. I'm not a big fan of the parks but our kids like it. I find Hendersonville to be kind of boring. But I appreciate it for the small, rural place it is.

For the family, I thin where we are in Oviedo is just as good if not better as far as schools and safety. Oviedo is actually safer even though it has twice the population, and the schools are definitely better. So from a family stand point, I don't really see much of an advantage to Hendersonville.

Jobs: I make a good living, I would take a rather large pay cut moving back. Cost of living is roughly around the same

Economy: definitely more diverse economy down here.

I can respond more tomorrow. Gotta get up early, down in Weston this weekend. If you have any specific questions, I can answer them.

Ps, I like Asheville a bit more than Hendersonville. But even then, jobs and cost of living are a concern for sure.
Thank you so much for your thoughts, this type of information is exactly what I have been looking for. While I realize that everyone has different motivations for moving, the actual experience of living in both is what I was looking for feedback on.

It sounds like we are in very similar situations financially related to that move. I would be willing to accept the paycut, but it would definitely change my early retirement plan. While we enjoy the beach, I actually grew up in Cocoa Beach and go to NSB often now, we definitely enjoy the hiking and outdoor activities in the WNC area much more.

We live in Debary now and the elementary school we are zoned for is really good, I cannot say the same for the middle and high school.

Thanks again for your comments, very helpful.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My inlaws live in Asheville and my husband and I have land there. I haven't lived there but my husband grew up there and lived there on and off for about 30 years. We spend a lot of time up there now with my elderly inlaws.

That said I told my husband I could never live up there full time.

The late Spring, Summer, and Fall are magnificent. There really isn't a prettier time or a more lovely place.

Winter is what kills me. With the exception of when it snows, winter is long, cold, grey, and rainy.
I do have some concerns about winter, my husband and I grew up in the north but have been in Fl since high school. The only thing I can say is that the summers here are really getting to us and seem to become longer each year so we hope that trading heat for cold will work out for us.

Thanks for the comment, it definitely helps us in this process

Old 09-25-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We moved up this way from central FL. For the past 3 1/2 years, we lived in Greenville, SC and recently purchased a place in Asheville. I have to agree FL and up here are two different places. I like both for different reasons as well. I see many people from FL move to WNC or have a second home here. WNC is a slower place. It is definitely faster pace in FL. Many daily needs are more spread out. (stores, entertainment, etc) The people are friendly and there are many free festivals and events year round. I like Asheville over Hendersonville as well. I like the cute downtown in Hendersonville but definitely like the vibe in Asheville. Hendersonville is sleepy compared to AVL. Some people like that though. Housing is expensive here but compared to SFL, it probably isn't much different. I like the seasons but don't care for winter. It isn't horrible but you do get some really cold days that I could do without. (Jan and Feb) The rest of the seasons are great. The one thing I miss about FL is the tropical feel and the beaches. I also have friends that I miss but they visit here or we visit there. (wish it were more often) If it were up to me and I could afford it, I'd become a snowbird.

Good luck with your move.
Ahhh, I also dream of being a snowbird- but at 41 it's not gonna happen yet . All of our family is in Florida so fortunately we will still be able to vacation here anytime for little to no cost. And we really prefer the outdoors of WNC to here in central Florida.

We also like Asheville, however it is more expensive (as all cities are) than the 'burbs. We do like the family feel of Fletcher/Arden since we have a 3 year old.

Thanks so much for your feedback, it really does help us in the process.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
In a nutshell: fla has more to do, is busier and more fast paced with 6 months of summer and 6 months of perfect weather. If you like hiking and mountains, WNC is great. If you like the water and beaches, FL is best. Where I live in FL, schools are a little better and the area is a little bit safer. Not that Hendersonville is bad by any means, I just live in a really nice area where all schools are A rated and it's very safe. I'd take a big pay cut moving back to WNC and I'd pay just as much for a home, so for now, staying put. The only other possibility for us would be Greenville. Cost of living so much lower. But schools are a concern in many areas of the upstate.

Everything else is ones opinion lol.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
In a nutshell: fla has more to do, is busier and more fast paced with 6 months of summer and 6 months of perfect weather. If you like hiking and mountains, WNC is great. If you like the water and beaches, FL is best. Where I live in FL, schools are a little better and the area is a little bit safer. Not that Hendersonville is bad by any means, I just live in a really nice area where all schools are A rated and it's very safe. I'd take a big pay cut moving back to WNC and I'd pay just as much for a home, so for now, staying put. The only other possibility for us would be Greenville. Cost of living so much lower. But schools are a concern in many areas of the upstate.

Everything else is ones opinion lol.
I like both places. I like them for different reasons. FL will always have a place in my heart. I miss it at times. The only thing I don't miss is how hot it gets and how long. I like it here as well. The weather is more tolerable for the most part except for the few months of winter.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:40 PM

388 posts, read 536,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
I'm a little further west, over in Franklin. We bought the place here in 2008 and moved up full time in 2010. I still have the house in Valrico, just east of Tampa, and visit it maybe twice a year to see my grandkids who live there now. We had been looking and staying in Brevard before we took the plunge, Franklin is more centrally located to a ton of outdoors stuff and was perfect for us. I was concerned about moving to small town, rural America but that was nothing more than a lot of wasted worry. We lived in Valrico for 20 years and loved it there but we have no desire to go back at all.

Thanks for the info.
I live in the Seffner area, my wife and I are strongly considering moving to the Waynesville area next year.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We moved up this way from central FL. For the past 3 1/2 years, we lived in Greenville, SC and recently purchased a place in Asheville. I have to agree FL and up here are two different places. I like both for different reasons as well. I see many people from FL move to WNC or have a second home here. WNC is a slower place. It is definitely faster pace in FL. Many daily needs are more spread out. (stores, entertainment, etc) The people are friendly and there are many free festivals and events year round. I like Asheville over Hendersonville as well. I like the cute downtown in Hendersonville but definitely like the vibe in Asheville. Hendersonville is sleepy compared to AVL. Some people like that though. Housing is expensive here but compared to SFL, it probably isn't much different. I like the seasons but don't care for winter. It isn't horrible but you do get some really cold days that I could do without. (Jan and Feb) The rest of the seasons are great. The one thing I miss about FL is the tropical feel and the beaches. I also have friends that I miss but they visit here or we visit there. (wish it were more often) If it were up to me and I could afford it, I'd become a snowbird.

Good luck with your move.
I've been away from the forum for awhile and hadn't realized you moved from the Upstate to WNC , congrats on taking the full plunge.

When we lived in Spartanburg we'd often drive the hour to Asheville because of the beautiful mountains and unique town.

Now back in Orlando we often consider moving back up there but the lack of jobs, cold weather, and no beach, big city, and theme parks nearby always come up on our list as mitigating factors.

Orlando is an exciting and ever changing place to raise a family. In the 6 years since moving back we've watched Orlando build a rail system, new MBA arena, completely renovated football stadium, win an MLS team and start building that stadium, expand significantly at both Disney and Universal (ie Harry Potter, Disney Springs), start building a second massive airport terminal at an already amazing airport, build a state of the art performing arts center, add at least a half dozen buildings to the skyline, create a top notch local food scene, and most importantly unite in the wake of tragedy.

In our visits to Asheville during that time, not much has changed. Only in this last visit 3 months ago did I ever see a construction crane. I'm sure there are some examples I missed of course, but the point is WNC isn't about change.

Aville likes being small and funky, and doesn't want to change that significantly. Orlando wants to, and is becoming a large metropolis, and therein lies the difference for decision making purposes.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:32 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I've been away from the forum for awhile and hadn't realized you moved from the Upstate to WNC , congrats on taking the full plunge.

When we lived in Spartanburg we'd often drive the hour to Asheville because of the beautiful mountains and unique town.

Now back in Orlando we often consider moving back up there but the lack of jobs, cold weather, and no beach, big city, and theme parks nearby always come up on our list as mitigating factors.

Orlando is an exciting and ever changing place to raise a family. In the 6 years since moving back we've watched Orlando build a rail system, new MBA arena, completely renovated football stadium, win an MLS team and start building that stadium, expand significantly at both Disney and Universal (ie Harry Potter, Disney Springs), start building a second massive airport terminal at an already amazing airport, build a state of the art performing arts center, add at least a half dozen buildings to the skyline, create a top notch local food scene, and most importantly unite in the wake of tragedy.

In our visits to Asheville during that time, not much has changed. Only in this last visit 3 months ago did I ever see a construction crane. I'm sure there are some examples I missed of course, but the point is WNC isn't about change.

Aville likes being small and funky, and doesn't want to change that significantly. Orlando wants to, and is becoming a large metropolis, and therein lies the difference for decision making purposes.

Good. I'd hate to see Asheville turn into Orlando. DAMN CONSTRUCTION CRANES LOOKING like the state bird lol.

Some ppl don't want ever changing environments. That's code word for transient. I love the 4 mild seasons honestly. And I hate theme parks and the transient nature of Orlando. I like where I live, but overall, it's not as good of a place as Ashveille. Not a chance. I just happen to live in a little bubble.

What keeps me here is that I like my little bubble, and I make good money. Or else,cod be in Asheville at some point. Maybe not next ur, but eventually

Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
there is nothing wrong with the schools in Greenville / upstate SC. Physicians, engineers, etc send their kids to these schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina