Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:38 PM

88 posts, read 412,470 times

Advertisements

cooperwx, thank you for the explanation. i guess the good part is that Southcliff is not able to pack in tons of homes into a small area. i don't know, am still considering all my options. my partner and i are baby boomer's and trying to simplify our lives but certainly don't want to tread on the good people of Asheville.
Asheville Native, thank you for your response and for the very informative link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There was coverage on the local video tabloid (WLOSer) about mud washing down from one of the developments on the mountain in or around Asheville the other day. We only had a 1/2 inch of rain over several hours.

First I feel it is safe to say that mud washing onto peoples property, clogging streams, lakes, and ponds with sediment occurred below EVERY mountain side development, including the jewels of destroying a mountain like Reynolds Mtn, and of course Southcliff, and all the others.
The good news, we got some rain yesterday, I got 1.37" at my house, some got more, some got less. For the most part the rain was gentle, falling over a 6+ hour period.

And yet another development (less than a mile from my rain gauge) on the side of a mountain (withing the city limits) caused run off leaving mud on streets, in peoples yards, silted streams, and eventually added to the silt in a small lake. This was also covered by our local video tabloid, WLOSer, and they stated that the developer has been fined 4 times in the past for run off. The developer has paid a total of $4,000 so far, which is probably less than he spends on diesel fuel for his equipment in a month. Obviously it is cheaper to pay the minor fine than to prevent the run off.

The next time we get more than a sprinkle, there will be coverage of run off from yet another of these mountain side developments, the only question is which one will get the coverage, as this happened all of the county yesterday.

Wait till we get a good summer thunderstorm that dumps an inch in 20 - 30 minutes, the mud will run people out of their homes in older neighborhoods.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 AM

20 posts, read 58,687 times
Asheville native (and everyone else)---

In your opinion, what older neighborhoods are going to be more likely to get slammed with the silt/mud?

Thanks for your honest replies.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 AM

88 posts, read 412,470 times
Asheville Native, i am so sorry to hear that. i surely hope something will be done. which development caused this problem? i'm sure many do.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwi View Post
Asheville native (and everyone else)---

In your opinion, what older neighborhoods are going to be more likely to get slammed with the silt/mud?

Thanks for your honest replies.
Which ever one is down hill from the development. The one on the news yesterday was Kenilworth.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little nell View Post
Asheville Native, i am so sorry to hear that. i surely hope something will be done. which development caused this problem? i'm sure many do.
This instance was the Beaucatcher Mtn. development, washing mud into Kenilworth, and Kenilworth Lake.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM

648 posts, read 2,972,451 times
Generalizations:
Large-scale developers do not care about mud in a downstream pond.
Large-scale developers do not care about mud in a downstream yard.
Large-scale developers do not care about stream sedimentation.
Large-scale developers do not care about small fines.

Large-scale developers care about views and buyers.

Buyers who do care about these things need to ask developers the hard questions.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little nell View Post
Hi guys, this is a terrific forum, such good info here.
Anyone familiar with Southcliff? It looks beautiful with a lot of land that will be left natural. I think only 200 homes and fairly close to town. We are thinking of escaping from the heat of down south in Charleston and have been investigating the Asheville area.
Thank you for any info
Man this building on slopes thing makes for some scary reading. I just found this link about another new development in Asheville:

WNCSOS: The Cliffs at High Carolina...Are Safe Slopes a Concern?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,877,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This instance was the Beaucatcher Mtn. development, washing mud into Kenilworth, and Kenilworth Lake.
Well ain't that just peachy - our house that we are trying to sell happens to be in Kenilworth, albeit Kenilworth Forest. I am so disenchanted with Asheville, I used to think this was a forward thinking "progressive" town, but the goverment here is about as backwards and "developer friendly" as Florida. Our community fought hard against that Beaucatcher development, and while we prevented the hugea$$ one they were originally going to build we couldn't stop their smaller residential one.

Just wait till those "fancy" developments on the sides of the mountains start sliding down the slopes - that's when the REAL fun begins.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well ain't that just peachy - our house that we are trying to sell happens to be in Kenilworth, albeit Kenilworth Forest. I am so disenchanted with Asheville, I used to think this was a forward thinking "progressive" town, but the goverment here is about as backwards and "developer friendly" as Florida. Our community fought hard against that Beaucatcher development, and while we prevented the hugea$$ one they were originally going to build we couldn't stop their smaller residential one.

Just wait till those "fancy" developments on the sides of the mountains start sliding down the slopes - that's when the REAL fun begins.
Kenilworth Forest just gets the view of the red mud colored lake, knowing that the silt it represents it is suffocating the lake. I'm sure another small fine will be levied against the contractor.

It is raining today, so far just about a 1/2 inch has fallen in the last 2.5 hours, and odds are there is a fresh plume of muddy water running into Kenilworth Lake right now. I'm sure another small fine will be levied, and this will repeat many more times (hopefully, cause we really need the rain).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina