Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:50 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times

Advertisements

I'm coming up to AVL tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 12:12 PM

160 posts, read 303,429 times
I'm going to bump this thread. I've since moved to Waynesville, and I'm dying to ride my bicycle. (Motorcycle is a different story). Coming from SoFL, everything I did was in shorts, but now I need pants. what do people wear that is stylish and comfortable for bicycling? I don't ride a road bike, I ride a mountain bike 20-70 miles at a time. I don't want a skin tight body suit, but something tight enough to not get caught up in the chain. Buying pants is new to me, lol.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:54 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecktheWindows View Post
Anything goes in Asheville, from the topless rally to a skirt or kilt for men
Just because you've seen the one dude with his kilt on the bus line and the one topless rally on Mountain Xpress does not mean these are social norms.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:55 PM

902 posts, read 807,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
I'm going to bump this thread. I've since moved to Waynesville, and I'm dying to ride my bicycle. (Motorcycle is a different story). Coming from SoFL, everything I did was in shorts, but now I need pants. what do people wear that is stylish and comfortable for bicycling? I don't ride a road bike, I ride a mountain bike 20-70 miles at a time. I don't want a skin tight body suit, but something tight enough to not get caught up in the chain. Buying pants is new to me, lol.
I usually wear Eddie Bauer guide / trail pants when outdoors. Great for hiking, super light and wick moisture away pretty quickly. Good to wear out to dinner too. When they get wet they're dry in 5 minutes or less. Have a lifetime replacement warranty and pretty good to wear year round. We're from central Florida and I haven't worn shorts since finding them.

They cost @ $70 - $80 each but EB has a 50% off sale around the holidays so that's when I stock up. Not sure about the rest of the year but they're worth checking out. Store is at the Asheville mall.

Here's a link to them. Looks like they're 30% off right now ($56) which is a pretty good price too for a quality product. Good luck!

Men's Guide Pro Pants | Eddie Bauer

Old 03-07-2018, 12:55 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Hit the Waynesville Mast Gen Store: they have racks of pants in all styles, fabrics, levels of 'tech'.

They have some knowledgeable floor personnel, and someone can point you to some clothing and gear.

I ride a few miles on our Mtn, but it isn't in the ballpark of your serious mileage...I never liked the skin tight bike stuff, but a decent pair of pants, tech/poly/cotton mix/your choice, can be had at the Mast.

Also, a local bike shop which should still be in biz/open either has clothing or can point you to ideas, but it isn't rocket science to cop some outer layers at the Mast, imo.

RollsRite Bicycles Sales Service & Repair

And, some bicycle trails around W'ville:
Waynesville, NC Bike Trails - Maps of Bike Routes in Waynesville, NC

A friend does long rides every weekend very close in to Waynesville, but I don't know his trails; he is out of country for few, but I could contact him for add'l ideas, if you want...

As for riding your m'cycle, I prefer leather pants/leather jacket, (all old like its rider), and riding season starts soon, even at my higher elevation(s).
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
Fashion sense-dwp-brpkway5-22-08-edit2-reduce  

Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
If you're going to ride that far on a mt. bike, you definitely need to get pants made for biking. The seam on an ordinary pair of pants will kill you after 20, 30, 50 miles. These aren't cheap, but they're good:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/mens-bike-pants

Here's a cheaper alternative:

https://www.lightinthebox.com/Popula...Pants_Men.html

Old 03-08-2018, 04:47 AM

Thanks for the replies, everybody. They will be extremely helpful. My gym time and bicycling has taken a back seat over the last few months while I looked for a house and then spent the last several weeks settling in. Now that things are slowing down a little bit (still a lot to do) I'd like to get back out riding again. No way in hell I'll be doing those long rides right now, between the elevation to get used to and get back in shape, it'll be a while before I do 50 or 60 miles. But I'd like to get out and at least get in 15 or so and it's still a bit cold for shorts. Thanks for the links and the trails!

Old 03-08-2018, 05:43 AM

788 posts, read 784,374 times
Sounds like some common trail pants and jeans you can move in will cover pants concerns . End of march !! You might be fine with a heavier pull over shirt and a packable polyester jacket OR bring some mid weight thermal under layer along just encase . shoe/boots - Lite well broken in hicking boots with 100gram thinsulate and some sketters . Be prepared or buy along the way . Temps around Asheville tend to be in the mid 30*s for lows and mid 50*s for highs and humidity should low but all the averages and should be can leave you cold at times so it depends on how much you have climatized to southern Florida's weather . Bring a packable rain gear . We had a lot of rain lately and rain gear acts as a wind break in cooler out . If your hitting Memphis first you can always stop by a bass pro if needed near the severville tn exit when heading Asheville way . We were in T shirts a week back and yesterday rain with snow today , add high humidity and you want a heavy polar fleece jacket with hoody and lite gloves this am and its only 30* . In of march can be the same . We had some of our early garden planted and growing well in mid april but a freeze burnt them back last year in Burnsville above Asheville

Old 03-08-2018, 06:00 AM

81 posts, read 67,497 times
Quote:
For the most part I just wear regular shorts, but a lot of mountain bikers here seem to have adopted a style of short that you'd probably find in a bike shop. Don't know what they're called, but almost everyone seems to wear them.

40-70 miles in Pisgah is some serious riding. Not sure if you mean Florida miles, but if you don't I'm impressed.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFUSE View Post
For the most part I just wear regular shorts, but a lot of mountain bikers here seem to have adopted a style of short that you'd probably find in a bike shop. Don't know what they're called, but almost everyone seems to wear them.

40-70 miles in Pisgah is some serious riding. Not sure if you mean Florida miles, but if you don't I'm impressed.
Yeah, that's not Pisgah miles. That's Miami miles. It'll be a while before I'm hitting even 40 miles around here, with the thin air and my lack of exercise recently. No way I can come close to hitting 60-70 miles right now but I would like to make some short trips on days I don't go to the gym. Just not into the skin tight biking shorts/pants that hard core cyclists use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina